Register now to get rid of these ads!

relocating a sb chevy waterpump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phill1977, Feb 25, 2010.

1. phill1977

phill1977

has anyone hear of a kit that relocats the water pump on a small block chevy motor? or anything like that? i am mounting the motor in my 31 ford and it looks like the fan is going to be realy low up to the rad. the frame is sweep up in the front about 4 in the body is channel 4in also. thanks

2. mj40's

mj40's

There used to be a system that used a 6 cylinder water pump and mounted it higher. But I don't remember who sells it.

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

4. vert1940

vert1940

snow white ltd has what you are looking for..small block water pump riser

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

True ... but it uses a Opel water pump :D
    I recommend The ZIP water pump riser ...

[​IMG]

It uses a common, easily found, easily replaced 230/250 6 cylinder Chevrolet water pump. Get the regular one like for a 1969 Nova ... non A/C .

Go here for a old thread here on the HAMB about the ZIP ...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357516&highlight=zip+water&showall=1

And here ... a SNOW WHITE user says a ZIP is the one to use ...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119484&highlight=zip+water

And you might find this interesting

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168231&highlight=zip+water

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Yeah; It was in a kit to put a SBC into a porche (that's 2 syllables, by the way for correct german pronunciation) 914.

i will post a link asap after i recover from working 1st,2nd and 3rd shifts which i wouldn't have had to do if:

a) things weren't so f'ed up at work; everyone pulling their own weight etc.

7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Is there really an issue with low fans and heating problems?

I have a 235 fan on a supercharged Chevy 283 with a 78 year stock original Deuce flathead radiator converted over to work with a SBC and I don't have any cooling system issues. Has a 180 degree thermostat and stays at 180 all day long.

8. Mr. el Scotto, Have you tried driving it to Texas in the summer. 105 temps and 99% humidity ??? My 5w with no hood a big Walker and EFI will run 200 and change at 70 mph on the highway. Stock sbc. Course it don't have no fenders...........???????/////////// Feel lucky......

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're going to be anal about the pronunciation, but don't give a crap if you misspell it? That's kinda funny!!

10. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

use a water puppy pump.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have one of the early cast Zips pump risers..
    if you have a SBC with an intake manifold oil fill tube,,they can be a pain in the ass, or in the way.
    I never used mine..I set the engine up in the frame to where i feel i wouldnt need to go that route.
    To me (and this is just my opinion) they are Fuggly =(fucking Ugly)
    I understand the need for them, I just tried my best to engineer it out of my build.
    to each his own.
    If i find out down the road i have to run it, im not going to be happy about it..
    Im crossing my fingers for luck

12. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

You beat me to it, Ebbs!

13. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

I'm running one of the Zip's on my `30 coupe. It's a `65 327 with TH350 and A/C -- because (1) I'm old, and (2) I DO live in Texas. It's a hi-boy with mechanical fan and no shroud. Raised everything up into the center of the radiator core and it runs cool as a cucumber -- even at near 100 in stop-n-go traffic. I'd recommend 'em!

14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

They work good on v8 conversion on AD pick ups also.

15. vert1940

vert1940

thanks, deuce roadster...was not aware that zip made such a thing.i even had to look up snow white to make sure they were still in business

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I may be mistaken ... but I believe ZIPS came out first ... even before the Snow White. I got my first ZIPS ( a iron one ) ... back about 1977/1978 ... and had it on my HiBoy 32 roadster.
    I bought a Snow White ... off a guy sometime in the late 80's. He had bought it and then found out about the ZIP. He did not like the Opel water pump and the weird fan pulley used on a Snow White. He had seen my ZIP and wanted one.

One member said that the ZIP is ugly ;)
    I just to know if he has ever looked a mid 50's Cadillac water pump. The ZIP looks a LOT like a mid 50's Cadillac to me :D

17. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i know i mispelled it; i was sleepy last night.

So how do you spell it? Porsche?

18. donnie

donnie
    from NC

There is only one G in fuugly. :D

and no A in Porschee.

19. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Achtung Herr C-10 simplex.....

"......a kit to put a SBC into a porche.....
    ...(that's 2 syllables, by the way for correct german pronunciation) 914".

That's PORSCHE......correct German spelling.

20. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

I like the look of the SW with the fins on the back side. Though the bummer part is YES the Opal water pump, metric bolts, and the pattern is wrong for the SBC fan, I had to machine a spacer to hold the fan centered. Wish he mentioned this when purchasing. ~S

Attached Files:

21. phill1977

phill1977

thanks for the reply. thats some things to think about.

22. This thread is old but here's one more post. I've tried three different pumps as you can see in the Picture. From left. , NOS, Original replacement and Flowkooler. Flowkooler are most effective by far.

Attached Files:

23. The late Deuce Roadster recommended the type of water pump that had the cover over the impeller.

The were available separate and could be pop riveted to a GM water pump or bought as a unit from The aftermarket source you mentioned.

I had it on my deuce pickup and my sedan. HRP

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Some one is making a super duper [so they claim] mechanical fan..Three blade, looks like a stock 8BA fan...just though amusing...

25. The zips riser comes with provisions to mount an a/c compressor. Once you trim that crap off it blends right in. I barely even notice it and i know its there. My front oil filler breather had to be cut and angled slightly. Cools great and no issues for me so far!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hotdamn and kidcampbell71 like this.