Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ford 9" in a 1963 chevrolet biscayne

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Jul 12, 2015.

1. guys does anyone make the brackets to bolt the 9" in? actually a triangular 4 bar instead of 3 bar would be prefered! thanks!:)

2. 41hemi

41hemi

Maybe try Currie.

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

65-70_impala01.jpg
    final_header_04-22-04-450.jpg
    Might be a start?

4. thanks! anyone else? anymore pictures?

5. currie and mosiers didn't have any, can anyone else think of anyone else?

6. squirrel

squirrel

If it were me, I'd cut the brackets off the original housing (or find a spare housing) and weld them to the new housing. But I'm cheap....

slammed likes this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Chassis Engineering has all kinds of mounting brackets and suspension pieces. That's where I'd start if I was going to assemble my own setup. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. 2racer

2racer

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=2495

59-64 CHEVY FULL SIZE CAR HOUSING BRACKET KIT

[​IMG]

NOTE: Sample image only,
    actual product may vary.
    Part #: CE-7059A
    Our Price: $172.95
    Description: New reproduction rearend housing bracket set for 1959-1964 Chevy full size cars. Includes single upper control arm mount, both lower control arm mounts, panhard rod mount, and brake bulkhead fitting tab. Fits all Impalas, Belairs, Biscaynes, Delrays, Station Wagons, and '59-'60 ElCaminos.

9. cool! i will let my friend know they are available

10. i'm cheap myself but it seems like all the fitting really extends the job, currie is really proud of those brackets!

11. $173 out of pockets beats $500 worth of aggravation and you'll probably save 1/2 of the $173 in beer that was not consumed in the process.

12. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I just do everything the hard way...maybe I should start charging myself for aggravation? But the weird thing is, I see it as just another fun challenge.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If he is going to try and get on it with the big block he will want the other upper arm and bracket to get a handle on the wheel hop.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

To me $173 is a steal. Not worth your fab time.

15. slammed

slammed

Yes. When your good, resourceful, and patient this is the way to old school it right.

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Remember when Hot Roding was fabing not buying kits?

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe I missed it, but what is wrong with the stock axle?

18. indyjps

indyjps

Agree, I used to reverse quote and negotiate fabrications, those brackets are about $12 each, the welded one a little more, that includes overhead. Ya gotta have a laser and press brake with a dogleg tool to do em in 1 piece like that. I'm happy someone offers them, think I'll look at more options before hitting the buy button.
    the housing mounts don't look to bad to do, the top angle mount more difficult to get the angle correct to hole location. Could probably use structural tube and measure up the old axle well.
    A business will buy the kit considering they need $50-$150 an hour to cover labor and overhead, a garage builders time is not so high.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  19. Ramblur

Ramblur

The tough part is the lower brackets. The lower hole is also the shock mount and as such the hole facing the outside is keyed (partial flat in the hole) to locate the shock mount and prevent it from rotating. The inside hole needs to be a very snug fit as the shock mount end of this lower trailing arm bolt is splined like a wheel stud and needs to get a good bite on the lower bracket hole, again to prevent the shock mount from rotating. Seems odd that I don't see this keyed hole in Curries pic above. Chev63.JPG