Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects LUCKY PENNY

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Thulsa Doom, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Today I make that cool old 4 wire turn signal work on a dual filament bulb setup.... the proper way

I like to pop those plastic covers off and solder/heat shrink the connections. Cloth covered wiring all the way of course. Original style 15 Amp inline fuses will protect it all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    wingnutz and spinner like this.
  2. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Giddyap giddyap! Don't stop now you're almost there.:cool:

I'm totally imagining you as a James Earl Jones look alike with long straight hair... amiright??

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  3. Haha nope. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Got that tedious stuff done. Took me all day to solder it. I'll wire it in tomorrow.

Is it wrong I feel bad that's there's a single plastic zip tie on there?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    BloodyKnuckles, spinner and 'Mo like this.
  4. [​IMG] ....3am and I finally got that Yankee 960 working on my dual filament setup with the temp test wiring. Time to permanently rewire it in with cloth wiring and cable lace it all nice and neat.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  5. vilanar

vilanar
    from Finland

Great job ! I love your wiring , so good to see someone actually lacing those wires and not using
    zip ties. And yes , you should feel bad about that single one..... Carry on , You are almost there!

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  6. She came down to Concord and spent some time with her Cousins in the Iron Lords CC today.

Where we pipe notched the rear frame and other shenanigans. She goes off to the exhaust shop in the morning.
    [​IMG]

Massive thank you's to my Brothers who came through for me today and helped out!!

Surfcityrocker and daddio211 like this.
  7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Lookin' good !

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  8. Hate I missed out on all the fun!!

BloodyKnuckles

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  9. .... nice shot ! Car has eyeball 'a coming ... don't she ? Good job !

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  10. Here's a few photos from her still current trip down to Crown Town.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Eric H, vwdave30 and BloodyKnuckles like this.
  11. The good=She fires right up. The Flathead sounds pretty healthy to say the least.

The not so good=Brakes went out as I was coming up to an intersection. (Well the arm got hung up on the header extension we tossed on there and I didn't catch it)

I had to drop her in neutral until the idle dropped enough to slam her in park as I was rolling through standing on the brake pedal. Haha sketchy as shit!

No e brake as the new repro cable I had bound up at the handle. She made the 3 mile trip though. Had to trailer her back and she got hung up on the trailer at the Trans crossmember so that's currently getting flattened to raise it. Had to Put a floor jack on her and roll her off the back.

There's always bugs to work out. Whatever. She'll be driving next week either way. Heck technically I already drove her a few miles

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    daddio211 likes this.
  12. Exhaust is done. 1.75" Pipe... A set of Porters sets the tone.

. Carbs are loading up and it's needs timing. Have some rubbing coming from the passenger side somewhere. Need to get that sorted but it's driving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  13. My friend Ben Haag took this photo. I thought it showed off the rake and stance nicely. (The headlight harness fell down into the grille shell haha)

[​IMG]

14. Yep... now everybody will disrespect your build until you lace it properly with #9 waxed string!

Hahaha!

15. She went on her 1st real shake down run. Ran heavy style with the Iron Lords CC to the Prism v. Dice Magazine gig in Charlotte.

Rear backing plates were rubbing so I just let them clearance themselves. Coming back I lost my top shifter connection but I was already in gear so I just kept driving back to the clubhouse. Haha

Here's a few shots.

*most of these are NOT my photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Outback, daddio211 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Pretty sweet pack of hoodlums there. Nice !

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  17. 50mercdreamer

50mercdreamer

love your style! Judging from the interior the paint will be insane.

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  18. Thanks! 100% that's the near future plan for sure... I'm just gonna enjoy cruising it the rest of this season though as is.

You can see the loose inspiration for the paint on page 1.

19. Shaking out the bugs before the run to TRoG.

I finally have dome lights [​IMG]

Having some trouble getting feedback on if a regular 3/8" dual flathead temp sender can be used on the Baron Heads coolant rail or if there is a smaller diameter/length DUAL temp sender anyone can recommend?

At this point I'm tearing into the mechanical advance Dual Point Mallory and messing with timing/carbs. (It has a purplish blue and a yellow advance spring. I can't find a chart with those curves on them)

I have the advance stop set to a .070" gap which should be in the neighborhood of an 18* limit. On the Dizzy I have it at 4*. With a near constant 15lbs of vacuum. (But the needle bounces on the gauge which has me thinking my carbs need attention)

The idle seems really high though. 800-900. If I drop the idle down on the carb it stumbles around 750.

The good news is the motor dies when I turn in the mixture screws on the Dual 94s so I don't have any leaks.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Eric H likes this.
  20. Rathbone

Rathbone

Did I miss it? - What size are the Goodyear Super cushion tires?

Has anyone ever seen a good video on installing the front and rear glass?

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  21. 670/15 on 53 Merc wheels

Don't need a video. Install the trim first, lay rope In the depression. One guy pushes while the other guy pulls the rope-pulling the edge of the seal over the body lip.

22. Rathbone

Rathbone

Was the tape you put over the back window there to hold the stainless moldings in place? Is there any need for a sealant?

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  23. To hold pressure on the stainless trim against the gasket. I cut it right before I pressed the glass in so I didn't have any small pieces stuck under the gasket.

You can use sealant under the gasket and it can be applied after the window is in.

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Very slick, great read. Love it.

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  25. your car is looking great man!

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  26. Thanks man! I was glad to see your Shoebox did good on its run. Gives me hope haha @glendale

glendale likes this.
  27. catdad49

catdad49

Kool Kemp, just remember most of these cars were a continual work in progress as time and money allowed. This is one killer ride my friend. Just my 2 cents ( sorry, I couldn' resist). Be safe, Lucky Penny has lived up to her name, but don' t push it!!

Thulsa Doom likes this.
  28. Scotch Decanter courtesy of the Wife's Grandfather: [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Eric H and vwdave30 like this.
  29. CadMad

CadMad

I like the fact that you have the single plastic zip,tie. If you didn't have it then it would be perfect . . . and only gods and immortals can be perfect.

Thulsa Doom likes this.