Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Deuce Coupe STRAIGHT out of the 70's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Corn Fed, Jul 7, 2015.

1. That may be but do you understand where i am coming from anyone can throw a bunch of money at a car but to see the old builds, they are dying off because people get them and the frist thing is lets change it instead of just enjoying it.:confused:

Tony Martino likes this.
  2. Listen to the car.
    Go back to right at the time the guy
    that built it sold it to you, lets say'68-'74is the time frame of build/buy.
    You liked the gasser style or you wouldn't have bought it.
    You would have probably been younger than the builder.
    You would have wanted to go further down the draggin, route.
    Therefor you loose the front bumper.
    Get the nose up a little more.
    Lighten it up a little by loosing the padded dash and plump headlinerand roof pad.
    Maybe the door panels.
    (I bet the whole stock dash is right behind it).
    Get a set of rear mags with less offset, that match the fronts
    and a set of street slicks maybe 10 inches wide.M&H.
    Find that Moon tank that's missing, and maybe, just maybe
    That Hilborn injection system that was a must.
    Yellow is Gasser cool.
    I'm sure some decals for A/Gas and some others are available.
    Then cruise Main street with the headders uncorked.
    You aren't changing the period as much as the attitude.
    You aren't rebuilding the car, you are adding to it's history,
    only 40 years later.
    You and the car will be very happy.
    Done.
    Oh, maybe a roll bar!

harpo1313 likes this.
  3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

sell it to me...I'll paint the fucker blue

mysteryduece1[1].jpg mysterydeuce2[1].jpg

4. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Come on Larry, you know you would never buy it because it has too many windows for you;)

I do like the gasser stance!

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Larry I also believe that them mud guards over the tires ain't your style. But at least it's two windows less than your last ride "7w".

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  6. titus

titus

Cool find.

Mulit carb set up, new dash, new rolling stock=winner

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Hey guys, it's his car. If he wants to build a Graffitti clone we should all be happy for him. Or if he loves billet and tweed, let's get on board with it.

8. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Enjoy !!! you are a Lucky one, if you have second thoughts, I'll trade you for a comb, some beef jerky, some flashlight battery's, a bottle of Old Harper and a 34 Vicky Full Custom.....

kidcampbell71 and Tony Martino like this.
  9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Prime it, drive it...

10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Milner don't need no stinkin' full front fenders..................

Ok, most of you know I'm just pulling your leg about turning it into another AG lookalike. This coupe is gonna stay mostly the way it is. My plans are to swap out the TH400 for a 4spd, fix the horrible brake setup, put on a set of skinny and big Halibrands or 5 Spokes, replace the fake fur with regular carpet, and put in a steel 32 dash filled with the same gauges that are in the car. The steering is a scary mounted Corvair, so that will get changed out too. The straight axle might get swapped out for a chromed non-dropped 32 heavy (if I can talk Alchemy out of it) and other chrome goodies, but it won't loose it's nose up attitude. I may try to lower the rear a little bit too. The 327 might eventually get a 2x4 but I wanna get it back on the street ASAP. I'm also gonna remove the cowl lights, horn, and step pads, but the bumpers are staying. I might even try to reuse the 4-track so PNB'r and I can rock out to "Sammy Johns". So there....now everyone can get some sleep and dream about rock n roll...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  11. alchemy

alchemy

Leave the fur on the door panels though.

You can borrow my 5-spokes if I can drive it now and then.

bowie, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  12. I love it! What a rad car!

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great time machine. Looks like it drove right out of an old issue of 1001 Custom and Rod Ideas or Popular Hotrodding! Any history come with it?

14. ardun1932

ardun1932
    from Iowa

Just leave it in your barn, not mine.

15. titus

titus

I bet some bias front runners and pie crust black wall slicks would make a huge difference in the looks, the slots arent that bad, polish em up!

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Wow, that's a nice score. You should really consider an S-10 frame swap. The wheel base is close enough, and they ride pretty good.

MMM1693, kiwijeff, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  17. Bahahahaha...S-10

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

At least it would have a T5 overdrive:eek:

19. hendelec

hendelec

I love the diamond tucked interior & trunk, paint it that same pale yellow.......Awesome car!!

20. Muttley

Muttley

Sounds like a plan.....................however, I think you overlooked the airbrushed gladiator riding a polar bear mural on the decklid. :D ;)

brad2v, lewk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. What a steal!! Right out there in plain sight too, congrats on being fast on the trigger. And you'll never get hurt in that car either with that early prototype airbag dash and all that padding!!!
    I've always loved the gasser look too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a few that are missing two windows (These are for you Larry!).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[another comedian. At least I sure hope so.
    QUOTE="Roadsir, post: 11064918, member: 15521"]Wow, that's a nice score. You should really consider an S-10 frame swap. The wheel base is close enough, and they ride pretty good.[/QUOTE]

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

The dashboard is a safety feature
    70s style Airbag :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436351090.603609.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436351102.264841.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436351112.988772.jpg

I got to ask, is he man enough to pull of a 70s coupe and a mustache!!!

Those rear wheels has to be more under the car, and they have to make way more smoke!!

An loose the bumpers, in favor of rear push bar

lewk, Tony Martino and Runnin shine like this.
  25. If you decide to go 2x4 I got a period offy intake in the garage that I probably won't be usin. The runners are a little small for a bigger inch motor but would work well on a 283/327 inch motor.

Something that most of us miss is that if it keeps the bumpers it falls right into NHRA rules for early '60s gasser, it probably wasn't lifted just not lowered. They were actually running cars that resembled that car in gas Class @ Indy in '65. The car is definitely a time capsule.

on a side note: @volvobrynk I couldn't pull off the Bert Reynolds '70s he man but with a cheesy mustache I could pull off John Holms. :D

-Brent- and volvobrynk like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

for now, just make it safe to drive and hit the road. if you want attention you will get more as is - like a time capsule. or, make it into a belly button ride and disappear into the crowd.

27. GREAT BUY! Like T&A I was one of the sharks that was in the water on this one. I would have jumped on it when it drove in the gate of the Deuce parking area as I was working the gate. But due to the outlay of all my stash $$ on my 3 window build I thought it best to pass (and the wife would have beat me hard) since I have 3 deuces now. She tells me that enough....Hell you can't have to many deuces can ya?

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Are you referring to the mustache

Didn't know about the buyers was mandatory, I thought it was "bumper" in citation-marks. And was something to push it of the track, so nerf bars at the back and and over riders/t bars at the front.

ConceptVehicleDesign likes this.
  29. No I got short legs. :D

*If you look at the '64 rules ( I choose those because we used to have a '64 cut off date) the rules state front bumper, full interior, no body or suspension lift to gain traction, OEM type suspension. Prior to the big rule change a gas class car as in "gas coupe/sedan" fell into a street legal class. The early Fords were perfect because they already set high, we loose sight of that because we are accustomed to seeing Deuces and A bones and etc. lowered.

I was told by an old timer when I was young that one of the tricks that they used to do was to lower the rear to get better weight transfer. The rules didn't say anything about lowering the rear and when you lower the rear it automatically unloads the front so the front naturally rises a little bit, but it isn't lifted so falls into the rules. Lots of racers test the rules to the max.

OK off on a rabbit trail sorry.

* the list us way longer then that but you catch my drift right?

brad2v likes this.