Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Attached Files:

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Be careful. That's what got the Vintage Modified thread locked down and shipped out of here.

3. I found this photo of Richie Evans.
    He is still very well respected in N.Y., almost 30 years after his death.
    [​IMG]

seb fontana and s55mercury66 like this.
  4. This car still exist.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    s55mercury66 and flux capacitor like this.
  5. Opening night Fonda speedway. Fonda N.Y.
    [​IMG]

s55mercury66 likes this.
  6. Steve Danish in Victory Lane at Fonda, with Miss America Marilyn Van Derbur July/26/1958.
    [​IMG]

s55mercury66 likes this.
  7. Steve Danish ran Blueflame Chevrolet 6 261 C.I.D.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    s55mercury66 likes this.
  8. This car ran out of Windham N.Y. about 15 miles from me.
    It ran the beach in 57 driven by George Baumgardner, and 58 by Bill Wimble.
    It also ran the mile at Syrause, Hillsboro N.C., and with a bolt on roof (Zipper Top).

[​IMG]

s55mercury66 likes this.
  9. Mongoose09

Mongoose09

Marty, please contact me regarding Donald Bachand, he is my Dad and I'd love to hear about your memories of him.

Kevin
    [email protected]

10. Mongoose09

Mongoose09

11. Pete Corey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  12. Mongoose09

Mongoose09

image.jpg

13. Rene Charland three in row N.A.S.C.A.R. Sportsman Champ.-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Michael, many of the photos there are mine. I know some of the DARF Folks and most of my shots were from tracks local to that area, so I sent Jerry Wahl a thumb drive and told him to use whatever he wanted. Looks like he used nearly all of them ! I haven't checked this forum for a couple of years - I thought it was dead also. Might have to put a few other shots in here, if I can remember how ! Steve

15. Angelking

Angelking

This was taken at Lakewood Fairgrounds in Atlanta Georgia
    [​IMG]

My Father winning at The Peach Bowl, also was at Atlanta
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LaGrange speedway
    [​IMG]

SM

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Vintage Memories from the day's when live just seemed to be simple and we all had fun.

Jimbo

17. Angelking

Angelking

18. Angelking

Angelking

On a quest to find the 1937 Ford Fastback that Bob Morris raced at the Peach Bowl and Coweta Raceway, assuming it even still exist.

All that is known at the present is the following:

Bob Morris built this car to run at the Peach Bowl.
    Once Coweta opened, since it was dirt, Bob decided to run there.
    Bob Morris offers to sell this car about 3/4 of the way through the 1966 season for $800.00 to help start building a new car for the '67 season
    In 1966, this car with Bob driving, had accumulated enough points to win the 1966 Sportsman Championship.
    On or near the last race of the year, it was involved in a nasty accident that badly bent the frame.
    The car was sold that day.
    It did show up the next season as a hobby car with a now unknown driver. The new driver kept the #27 number, but all other lettering was removed.
    Have chased down several leads but so far none have panned out.
    If anyone knows anything about this car, no matter how long ago, please let me know.
    Also if anyone has any images or video of this car, please let me know.
    Here is a link to this car in the Bob Morris website:

http://bobmorrisracing.com/1964---…/race-car/27-37-ford.html

Thanks

SM

19. Schreibs

Schreibs

20. Schreibs

Schreibs

DSC02436.JPG
    Dad remembers watching this 52 Ford coupe race at the Redcliff, AB, Raceway in the mid-late 60's. He found it forgotten on a farm in 2004, and picked it up for free.

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  21. slowford

slowford

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1957 and 191958 Fords raced by Stephen Smalley.

coneman likes this.
  22. dwollam

dwollam

51 Crestliner race car.jpg
    This is my Dad's (Ralph Wollam) '51 Ford Crestliner at Highland Illinois in 1963. Newest car you could run was a 1953. Everyone told him there was no way you could make a coil spring car handle! You could run without front sheet metal and could bob off the rear to the rear spring hangers. No since cutting anything on a parallel rear spring car, but the '48 and earlier Ford's were all bobbed to the rear axle. He ran that '51 Flatty 6000 rpm all night. No headers or manifolds, right straight out of the block! Try that on an overhead valve engine. This was also the 1st car I drove at 9 years old. I would cruise along the edge of the woods and Dad wood gather and through firewood inside.

alanp561 and Daddiojoe like this.
  23. This is a very famous photograph here in the northeast.

Photo of Pete Corey towing down the New York State Thruway.
    Taken in the mid to late 50's by John Grady

John just stuck his camera out the window and shot over the roof as Pete Corey went passed.

[​IMG]

The sun rays and lettering were add years latter.

24. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

This reply is eight years after this was originally posted, but I do have info on this photo ( #1623). It was taken in 1973 at our local oval (Western Speedway) here in Victoria, B.C., Canada (north of Washington state). The Marlin was driven by Roy Haslam and this was the second year the car was raced. Powered by a 327 Rambler V8, it was sponsored by the local AMC dealership, Reg Midgley Motors. The Dodge behind the Marlin was piloted by Rick Odell. I will go out on a limb and say that outside of Rick was Gary Kershaw in a Chevelle. This appears to be a trophy dash lineup and Gary regularly posted fastest time. I won't hazard a guess as to who was outside pole. Regards, Dave

25. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Can shed some light on this one too. Again, it's at Western Speedway in (I believe) 1967 and the driver accepting the dash trophy from the pretty gal with the Marg Simpson hairdo is Tony Mortel. The field was mostly Fords back then with only a few of us running Chevys and the year after this was taken, Tony switched over to a '55 Chev. He went on to run super modifieds on the C.A.M.R.A. ( Canadian American Modified Racing Association) circuit and then became the promoter at Western where he was instrumental in having major upgrades done to the aging facility to ensure it's continued existence (it's still going strong today!). He was also heavily involved in securing a ride for another of our hometown racers (Roy Smith) in the 1982 Daytona 500. A Richard Childress-rented car in which Roy finished 10th. Regards, Dave

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  26. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Hey guys, its great to see some posting of the old cars here again. Most of the guys that were posting here in the earlier days are over at www.dogfightmag.com under the "vintage oval track modifieds" section. There is also a vintage stock car racing section, but the modified section is still pretty active and you can post whatever style of racing pictures you want. Its a free website that is a sister to this one, with less restrictive rules. The guys are still hanging around over there and would welcome new stuff. They would be thrilled to see new old time racing fans join in. give it a shot.

I just clicked the link, you want to select "the forums" then "the dogfight forum" then the "vintage oval track modifieds". Save the link and register.
    Gene

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  27. mopacltd

mopacltd

Anyone got anything from the old Olympic Raceway or Riverside Raceway outside of Kansas City, Mo. from back in the '50's and early '60's?