Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1948 packard upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramona, Jul 4, 2015.

1. ramona

ramona

has anybody upgraded a 1948 Packard super eight,like brakes, steering,ac and v8

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Sure, there is a few out there, but there isn't much of a reason to do it. A '48 Super 8 was a high end luxury car then, and still drives like one today. The original straight 8 has a ton of torque, and good horsepower. The transmission is a 3 spd + OD, and the car will do a 120 mph if everything is working well. Why would you want to ruin the value of the car by putting a leaky SBC in it? Kanter and Max Merrit Auto have a ton of parts for post-war Packards. I keep care of a '49 Super 8 for my dad that I would not even think of doing an engine swap or anything else on it. The car runs and drives wonderfully in its stock configuration.

Now, if you have just a shell or the car has already been pulled a part and is missing a bunch of stuff, and want to build a custom, go for it. Then feel free to put anything you want in it, because there are no kits out there. You will be fabricating everything..

Bottom line: If the car is a runner now, it will almost always be cheaper and easier to repair the stock stuff and get it in proper working order then to go through the hassle of swapping engines, brakes, transmissions, rear axles, etc. A Packard is also worth more come resale time as a stock (or with correct period upgrades like Edmond's intakes or head) restoration, then as a street rod, unless it is a very, very high end build.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. ramona

ramona

does anybody

5. ramona

ramona

the car starts and runs. doesn't smoke or knock, but will not go any faster than 70....and when it does, the car has loose steering, bad breaks and a clunk in the rear-end. did I mention, it does not have a/c.
    That is why I was trying to change things around...so you're saying....I should keep everything original? Would that be more expensive than what I originally saying? I'm at a cross road...Love the car and the straight 8, but worry it would be too expensive to try to keep original. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I look forward to having you help me decide. Thanks

Model T1 likes this.
  6. ramona

ramona

also when I bought it it had a 12 volt battery and coil,radio was fried,i can get it fixed by a friend,but everything on 6 volt still may be ruined even if I changed it back to 6 volts also overdrive don't work ether

7. Look into the Packard owners club and forum,AACA is a good start.
    And we would like pictures.:)

8. How about a few pics ....?

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Model T1

Model T1

I agree with FrozenMerc. I've driven old Packards owned by friends, even a couple of their 32 roadsters. Nice ride and seemed responsive for a barge.
    I'd rebuild the steering, brakes, and change the 6V to 12V since it's mostly fried anyway. The 6V starter will be fine.
    Why go over 70 anyway? I'm retired I've got all day. AC can be adapted once you switch to 12V. Check the rear. Maybe it needs lube or some adjustment.
    As mentioned photos help. If it's already worn out you can replace anything with updated modern crap.
    Remember it's yours. Do what makes you happy. If you want a modern cruiser there are a million build threads to do that. Just pretend it's a 49 Merc and copy what ever someone did to one of those.

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

There is NOTHING cheap about owning a Packard. But I guarantee it will be much cheaper in the long run to keep it as original as possible then to swap drivelines. Model T1 makes a great point. If you are really hung up on AC, it should be a relatively easy item to add once the wiring harness is upgraded to 12V. There are plenty of cost effective universal wiring harnesses out there that will allow you to upgrade it to 12V.

11. You don't have to replace the harness in order to switch to 12 volt, unless the old one is ratty and frayed. The old wiring is twice as heavy, as it needs to be, for 12V

12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Carl is absolutely right, the old harness will support 12V with out any problems. I should have added if it needed to be replaced.