Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Skyliner Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Halfton65, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Halfton65

Halfton65

Just picked up this car last Saturday, it's been stored under a carport in Tucson since 1988. It's a 1957 Ford Skyliner- 312, AT, PS, PB with 67,451 original miles. Not a highly optioned car but very solid and complete.

All the wiring looks solid and the prior owner was nice enough to mark all the solenoids.

Now for the plan: clean it up, get it running and learn a few things about convertibles.

Attached Files:

southerncad and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. soloenoids and limit switches are a BITCH on those cars...Start by buying tech sheets on the repair and adjustments

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Now there's some memories.....
    I owned one of those for a day! It's a long and not so good story!

Have fun!:)

5. nice survivor......and didn't the Lincoln converts go to those solenoids on the 62 up converts ? good luck with it.....

6. One iconic design! Plus a very good looking body design, top up, down ,or in between.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. Awesome vehicle

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Looks solid, congrats. Those were quite the engineering marvel for their time, always liked 'em. A friend of my old man had a new one, blue/white top, sharp car.

9. I had a 61 Lincoln with the solenoid set up. I never got around to using one, but someone made modern wiring set up to get rid of the solenoids. Possibly one out there for the retractable if yours becomes a problem.

10. Halfton65

Halfton65

There's a cutaway Skyliner on display at the Forney museum in Denver. I just about panicked when I saw the stats on the electrical for the top... and bought one anyways.

Attached Files:

11. Halfton...First thing to learn is how to open it up when all solenoids fail.....its not easy.but can be done by unbolting in the rear from underneath...

12. 41 C28

41 C28

Cool. I aquired a 59 Skyliner a couple of years age. I like the 57 much better. I remember the black 57 Skyliner my Mom and Stepdad had new when I was a kid.

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing cooler than pulling up at a show and dropping the hardtop! Nice score.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looks great.. It's worth getting to know it better and in working condition...

15. PTO

PTO
    from CA

Just thought I would add. I have several parts for the Skyliners. Top motors and original solenoids.
    Also brand new solenoids that are identical to original.

If you have any questions with the setup, or are stuck and need help with it, feel free to message. I would be happy to help.

16. Halfton65

Halfton65

Well that's a weird place for a wild hair to grow...

Nascar convertibles were damn cool. Would probably have to avoid a roll bar to keep the top functional on a Skyliner.

Attached Files:

17. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Ah man....one of my favorite cars of all time!....fantastic body design in my opinion;)....congratulations on finding it.

18. Halfton65

Halfton65

Got to test the top motors finally and everything sounds like it's working aside from the front roof locks. Although I didn't get to see the top go down, watching that flapper tray work for the first time in 30 years was a very cool experience.

Attached Files:

19. belair

belair

The car of 18 consecutive miracles. But they sure are pretty.

20. It's just wires and stuff...... LOL

21. Amazing condition.

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Subscribed. Now all the fun begins