Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '40 Fenderless Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4speed411, Jul 4, 2015.

1. 4speed411

4speed411

My project is a '40 Ford cab and shortened box ( 56" ), pushed it out for the first time last week, looking like next spring before it is on the road. I believe the grill shell is a '35 Chevy ,not sure if it will have a drilled insert or finned metal look. The frame is Z'ed with the drilled holes up front ,Drive train will be a mild 427 with dual quads, classy finned valve covers ,some neat finned jet boat air scoops, Chevy II fenderwell headers backed with a Muncie 4-sp and a 12 bolt rear with ladder bars and coil-overs. Up front is a '32 Drilled Heavy axle under a Super Slide spring with drilled wishbones. Just getting started on the inner cab...I would like a roll bar yet, but have some vintage bucket seats, '68 Camaro steering column , a '66 Rosewood wheel..still deciding on what gauge set-up...every week there is a few less parts to buy...

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      264.4 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      260.8 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      254.5 KB
      Views:
  2. 4speed411

4speed411

Last week I picked up two K&N X-Stream top filter to fit into the vintage finned aluminum carb scoops , I need to add 3/4" to the tops of the bases for the air cleaners to set down into and trim the 9" filters down to 7 1/2" so the finned tops would then set down over them...a kool look, hope they can draw enough air.

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      168.7 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      203.7 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      195.8 KB
      Views:
  3. 4speed411

4speed411

Not sure what color yet, but it will have red seats, a little tight with the pedals, gas pedal will have to be gasser style , up a couple inches on the flat top trans tunnel

Attached Files:

4. This ought to be a fun ride! lookin good man.

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

not a fan of the look, sorry

Dean Lowe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

I tend to agree, tough to pull it off with that style cab, I did see a guy who used a 40-47 PU cab, but filled the area above (where the hood hinge holes are), don't recall what he did at the lower cowl...but sure made it look "finished" instead of "taken apart".

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I hate to say this,but it needs a hard chop to balance the look. Not to much to be a RR, but more in the line of Porters push truck. The fender well headers are OK. 20 years ago when I started the build on my 40 I had it mocked just like what you have now and all the Kustoms and SR guys laughed at me.

8. sota

sota

No fan here either !!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. mogulmasher

mogulmasher

I love it. I agree a chop will make everything look better as a package but still think it's a killer truck and running a 427 is just badass.

10. I will reserve comments referring to the style,but I do prefer 40 Ford trucks with fenders. HRP

11. Consider a hood top to carry the cowl line and promote the length/lines/stance. We did it with tape one time on a guys build who was determined to not run a hood and the string of blue tape made him change his mind.

12. silverdome

silverdome

I like the idea of a hood top wrapped to the belt line. Fill in the cowl sides. Chop top about 3 to 4 inches. Rear fenders shortened front and back. Front motorcycle fenders. Excellent engine choice. And I would probably put the gas tank somewhere other than inside the bed, I mean it's a truck so my practical side says it should have a useful bed.

In the end it's your vehicle so enjoy and make it yours.

13. Well at least its not all cartooney like some of the fenderless trucks out there. A mild chop wouldn't hurt but I would be carful not to get to too out of proportion.

Like has been said hood top wouldn't hurt. it too late now but I saw one that the headers dumped inside those divots at the bottom of the cowl. Made it look like the divots were part of the design.

End of the day we don't have to like it you have to like it though.

patmanta likes this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Can I add please paint it all one colour!

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. It has it's posibilities 1940 pu 16.jpg posibilities

16. volvobrynk likes this.
  17. 4speed411

4speed411

DSCN1924.jpg Firewall roughed in last night

18. 4speed411

4speed411

Radiator also fitted DSCN1925.jpg

19. 4speed411

4speed411

Parnhard bar also fitted to the 12 bolt rear DSCN1927.jpg

20. 4speed411

4speed411

shot from the rear DSCN1929.jpg

21. studebaker46

studebaker46

I usually don't do neg replies but just because you can don't mean you should

22. JimSibley

JimSibley

I like the quality of work and it has potential. I would rethink the grills hell and add a hood, mild chop and a shiney nice paint job, just to keep it from venturing into ratrod territory.

Just Gary likes this.
  23. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

that looks pretty cool...but I am a bit biased as I am building something similar...as I already have a 47 ford pickup
    and had a lot of leftover bits and a very rusty spare cab...I decided to build something a bit different....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    no rat here...stainless firewall/electric blue coarse metalflake/white tuck an roll interior...etc
    prolly not to everyones taste...but I like it.
    not trying to hijack your thread..just showing your not alone
    yours with shiny paint and a bit of detailing will be a killer,but build to your standards and enjoy it as cars are meant to be
    cheers joe

24. 4speed411

4speed411

Paint comes after fabricating , when the cab is done with patches and a floor welded in, I will see how it fits me and if a light chop will be needed.

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

Fenderless trucks 'can' be done very cool in my opinion, at one time around here on the HAMB you saw a lot of them being built. They somehow caught the name of 'Bobber' trucks, I guess someone felt the need to do it.

Anyway, here is a great thread on them that you may have or not seen: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fenderless-hot-rod-trucks-need-to-see-them.451922/

And since I'm here, take a look at this one taken in 2006 .... I absolutely love it because it has style all over it.

2-13-2006-23_(Custom).jpg

To each his own ideas, likes, and imagination .... that's the way it is suppose to be here on the HAMB.

26. 4speed411

4speed411

cowl.jpg Cowl patched and hood hinge mounts removed, some finish work and it should look pretty good

kiwijeff and AHotRod like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

There ya go, just covered up a bucket of ugly!

Running a similar hood like AHotRod showed, would really help more as well.

28. willymakeit

willymakeit

Keep showing us what your doing. Gives me more ideas for mine.

29. 4speed411

4speed411

stripped it down to finish some welds...hope to get some paint on the chassis soon 40 frame.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think we are all dancing delicately around the subject here. I really like this style but there have been so many "rodent rods" taking on that same shape that it is going to be hard to not get lumped into that category. I think you have a good start on setting yourself apart with the power plant. From here on it is going to take a really traditional paint scheme to seal the deal...