Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Muffler packing....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ocezam, Jul 3, 2015.

1. ocezam

ocezam

I'm a member without many real posts. This forum is an incredible source of information, but I resist from posting a lot due to the simple fact my car's body is fiberglass. Oh, well, it is what it is, and it's my way to start in the hobby. Actually I did have an all steel '38 Chevy pickup hot rod 15 or so years ago....

Anyway, I'd like some info and opinions on packing baffles. I just put a set of Sanderson "Twister" headers on my car and they're a bit too loud. I thought they might be when I ordered them. I can live with them this way, but can I tone them down a bit?

I meant to take a pic of the baffles before I put them together, but I forgot sorry. I'll just have to describe them. They are like most glass packs that I'm familiar with. They are about 2 to 2-1/4 inches inside diameter and go the full length of the collector. So they are about 12 inches long. The inside end of the baffles have a collar that fits snug to the inside of the collector so exhaust is forced down the center of the baffles. The pipe has a series of louvers punched in it all the way around the baffle, and along it's entire length.

They came with a very small amount of packing around the baffle. Really only 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. There's room for 1 to 1-1/4 inches of packing between the baffle and collector. Would putting more packing in help much?

I've also been riding motorcycles for about 43 years and I've seen people put a bolt or two through the baffle from one side to the other to increase back pressure and quiet the muffler some what. I might do that.

I realize these headers can never be quiet, and I don't want them to be, but I'd like to do what I can to calm them down.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a couple pics of the headers when they were only dry fitted to the block::

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I wrapped my baffles with fiberglass matt, then secured it with safety wire. I have room for about a half and inch x 12 long. Seems to last about 3 months or a couple thousand miles. Am interested what other have done also.
    Lee

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

This may sound weird, but I know some guys have used Chore Boy Brass or Bronze Scrubbing pads as packing. They supposedly last pretty well and knock the sound down. You could use stainless steel wire to secure them.
    KK

4. Such a beautiful roadster....for such ugly set of headers...sorry man!!!

da34guy, 1927graham and verde742 like this.

5. ocezam

ocezam

I guess you meant "headers"?

Sorry? Doesn't bother me. "Bundle of snakes" headers have a very long history in hot rods and high performance cars. Going back to at least the first Ford GT40 race cars, Panteras, etc.. Aside from the looks, it's enables long primaries in small spaces. It also provides for equal length primaries.

Personally, I think the headers are the best thing on the car.

So far.....

Kan Kustom, TagMan and Model T1 like this.
  6. Tony

Tony

I've use a tight knit stainless wool for packing on bafffles.
    Wrap it around tight til it fits the full dia of the pipe its going into, then bail it nice and tight with safety wire.
    I've got baffles in 4' straight pipes on my 32 with a blown 331 and 1 3/4 headers and it's quiet enough for street use.

By the way, i dig your roadster....glass or not makes no difference to me because it still looks like a blast to drive.

Tony

Model T1 likes this.
  7. ocezam

ocezam

Good to know, Thanks.

Thanks again.

Yeah, it's fun to drive, and work on. It's only got a stock 350 in it now. I'm looking to change that this winter.

8. ocezam

ocezam

I just drove the car again to the grocery store. Big difference between driving it at 730 in the morning and 230 in the afternoon. Doesn't seem so obnoxious with the noise of a busy world all around.

9. That car is beautiful. Looks like a real go job...

There's some lame discussion on here against glass cars. I suspect from people who have neither glass nor steel cars and who have never built a glass or steel car.
    Truth is, glass cars have probably helped keep the hobby alive. Choking on the absurd prices of these formerly junk yard bodies as well as the reproduction ones, only a select few can afford them now.
    A shrinking middle class and hammered working class doesn't include such extravagance as it once might have.

Thanks to the men and women who make fiberglass bodies. They all deserve medals. Keeping it alive.....

10. ocezam

ocezam

Well that was a damn eloquent post IMO! I'd disagree about "absurd prices" of steel bodies though. There really isn't absurd pricing in a market economy. Simple supply and demand...

But like you, I'm glad there are options, my pockets aren't so deep...

I'd rather keep this thread to replies about exhaust with short glass packs, but thanks man, I appreciate the sentiment!

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You can get "repacking kits" from many motorcycle sources , pack as much as you can in there , it'll help , just be prepared to re-do often .. SS wool works too but is expensive...
    dave

12. Budget36

Budget36

Might think of making a chamber pipe, serrated, etc...like are in performance mufflers, put a lip on the end, drill the lip, bolt it in.

Take a look at Magna Flow's,Hooker, etc, website for some ideas....reason I mention it, is the more blockage you stuff in there, the more back pressure you'd be creating..keep it free flowing, just tone it down...

13. Budget36

Budget36

PS..car looks nice too!

14. Model T1

Model T1

The only glass car I had was a Corvrtte. Wished I owned your roadster. I'd drive it everytime I could and smile wherever I went.
    We all can't afford real steal. Hell I can't even afford real fibreglas!
    Get on here and comment and add updates anytime.

15. verde742

verde742

You probably mean headers and I completely agree,
    Just cause ya can, doesn't mean you should, comes to mind !!

da34guy likes this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Put some proper mufflers on.

17. ocezam

ocezam

That is a very gracious welcome. Thank you.

I've actually owned two Corvettes. A '66 ragtop, 327ci 350hp in '78- '79. I was 16 years old, and yeah, I paid for it myself. No silver spoons in my mouth. But I didn't have the money to restore it like it needed. I also had an '85 Vette with the z-51 suspension in '87-'88.

I owned a '77 Porsche 911 RSR when I lived in Germany 1983-1985. That was the fastest car I've ever been in. Went over 150mph several times on the autobahn. That, and an '85 Yamaha V-max are the only vehicles I broke 150 mph with.

Good times, and a long, long time ago.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. ocezam

ocezam

Yeah, this is the direction I am leaning in.

19. ocezam

ocezam

Yeah, OK.

I'm not sure what that even means. It is a hot rod you know. Would "proper mufflers" be those that came originally on a '32 Ford? Or mufflers from a modern Chevy, since that is what's currently in the drivetrain?

Thanks for your input....

Kan Kustom and Model T1 like this.
  20. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

On my26 T coupe with a 327,Speedway roadster headers I turned the louverd muffler baffles around, and stuffed heavy steel wool thinking it would quite it down but now I dont like the sound .It is kind of raspy. I am going to turn the baffles back around if I can get them out,LOL. Your roadster is cool as hell,nice job.

ocezam likes this.
  21. cerial

cerial
    from Michigan

You can pack them and end up replacing it every few months. Or try something that once done will stay where you want it sound wise.

Get a piece of steel plate around 3/16 and a hole saw the diameter of that tip flange. Drill the plate the size of the flange then put the flange and tip in a vise drilling out the 3 locating holes that your bolts pass through.

Make a couple of these plates out of what you have laying around.

Now that you have 3 or 4 sets of these plates you can experiment by drilling holes in these plates and installing them firing it up, maybe taking a short drive, and listening to the sound to dial in the sound you want. You can use cardboard as a experimental gasket then simply install proper gaskets once you have the plate/sound your happy with.

I am thinking 3 3/4" holes in a triangle pattern should deaden the sound around 8+db without creating much back pressure.

This is basically a silencer without the tube.
    If you want the tube/silencer which will remain out of sight.

As a example you could drill a single 2 1/8 hole and pass a 2" piece of .120 dom inside the plate with a weld. It is an experimental process to get it to where you want without creating to much back pressure. But, that's all part of the fun.

Once you have the sound where you want it. You can forget about getting pulled over and focus on driving.

I have never seen anything wrong with running glass. I would prefer to work on steel from a repair/replacement stand point. But, glass is also easy enough to work on with some major rust benefits up here.

Model T1 likes this.
  22. k9racer

k9racer

That sir is one very very nice automobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ocezam likes this.
  23. ocezam

ocezam

Yeah, I think this is what budget36 is also talking about. Create a chambered pipe and do without packing altogether. It might be something I try in the future.

24. ocezam

ocezam

Thanks for all the replies.

25. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

OCEZAM, Give me your address via email [email protected] and I'll send you some stuff to pack them with. i have built plenty of mufflers and have some things around here to help you.
    Tom
    (KC, MO area)

Kan Kustom and ocezam like this.
  26. I originally had Speedway T-bucket muffler inserts on my '33 Plymouth, which had a 3-1/2" dia. side pipe. It was terribly restrictive where they almost totally closed off the outlet by crimping the perforated sheet metal tube. So I had a stainless 2-1/2" center tube made with the usuall louvers (like a glasspack). With no packing, it was quite loud. So I wrapped it with stainless steel wool and it helped quiet it down some. Then I made a cone centered just inside the outlet that is mounted on a threaded rod. I can reach in the outer tube and adjust it to partially close off the center portion and force some of the gases out through the louvers. I have had it this way since 2004 and have not had any noticable change in the exhaust sound........although I am now wearing hearing aids. LOL!

This sketch shows what I did:

Muffler.jpg As originally built in 2001:
    coop1.jpg
    As arranged with my muffler:
    DSC_7980.JPG

dudley32, pitman and ocezam like this.
  27. ocezam

ocezam

Interesting, thanks

28. pitman

pitman

I got a kick out of the bundle of pipes look on the OP's car. It is a short run, which makes achieving the right tone a challenge. Many options to choose from.
    Irish uses the overall length well!

29. The one problem with the long pipes is exemplified by my mantra to any passengers: "Watch out for the hot pipes!"

30. pitman

pitman

Swords and shields! Medieval times!