Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Would this make a decent base for Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fredb_, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Fredb_

Fredb_

Model A_2.jpg Model A_1.jpg I have been tinkering with my stock 38 Ford sedan for a couple of years and have a couple of flathead engines available to play with. I saw this Model A chassis advertised locally for $1500 OBO and was imagining a V8 and whatever body I might come up with. Does it look like a decent candidate for such an endeavor? I also have all running gear from a 41 Ford pickup which might give me breaks, tranny and rear end. Anyone out there done something similar? Thanks.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. A photo of said Model A Chasis would help here....

3. Fredb_

Fredb_

New to this interface. How's that?

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Sure, lots of hotrods have this chassis. Finding a body isn't too hard, either. I would be a bit suspicious of the fact that someone spray-bombed the whole thing flat black.

Take it from a guy that purchased a chassis on someone's word and is now rebuilding EVERYTHING on it.

5. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Why yes Fredb, projects like yours is what this thread is all about. Juice brakes, nasty flathead, and a cool body(many styles to choose from) and BAM good to go

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Fredb_

Fredb_

Yeah, I thought that about the engine. But then I'm not really interested in the engine. Would there be things I would want to inspect carefully on the chassis?

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Things in primer always make me wonder what they are hiding. That is the normal asking price for an a chassis with everything, what you actually pay is up to you. Bob

8. Just buy a plain frame! You are not going to use any of the A stuff anyway. Should be able to get a plain frame much cheaper than that.

9. 2935ford

2935ford

agree.....just buy a plain frame......

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  10. Yup, kinda looks like someone sold off the excess once they got the body

11. Does the engine run?16" wire wheels?Some parts can be sold to recoup cost.

12. Fredb_

Fredb_

Not sure the condition of the engine. I haven't actually seen it in person yet. I sold an A engine a couple of months ago for $750 and a lot of the parts are desirable. Have to think about it. Thanks for the advise.

13. I would look at what I could use from the running chassis and then price those parts out. At that price you would probable be better off just buying the parts you need. If it has a title (and a legible number stamped into the frame by Ford) that might be another story.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree you'd be better off buying the parts you need. You're talking V8 so you'd be selling off most everything but the frame-which you'll have to box.
    If your intentions were to build an A banger based Rod, then it might be a good deal. Though Charlie makes a great reminder about a title being a huge plus.

For $1500, you could order a set of ASC Deuce rails, boxing plates. Grab some cross members and still have a few bucks left to start looking for suspension parts.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

You could always direct that chassis to someone who has just jumped on the "build a Banger for TROG bandwagon" not that there's anything wrong with that.

16. Sometimes you go too far too fast in your head.
    If you are tinkering for years on one car, it may be a long
    jump to actually building a car.
    Sometimes it is better to find more car and spend more money
    up front than to start collecting pieces to build what you hope you want.
    Then you have years in a project.
    If you are young and enthusiastic, that frame is probably a good start.
    If you are older, or less experienced, buy something running and driving to tinker on.
    Oh by the way, if you do buy that frame and start stripping it,
    if the shocks are good I will give you $100, shipped to me!
    Good luck!

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. Fredb_

Fredb_

Probably good advise Tony. I have done a few re-builds over the years, one being a 35 Ford PU street rod that took four years to complete. If anyone is actually interested in this package look up Craigslist Oregon Coast or Eugene. I'm probably going to steer away for now. Thanks for the help as always.

18. Hey Fred,
    I don't know what your budget is but check out
    the ad on CL Oregon Coast "1930 Ford Model A 2 door sedan"
    Looks like a great buy, has the look, lowered, cool wheels, runs and drives.
    If I were on the left coast I'd be looking at it!

19. bigvinny

bigvinny

looks like a nice chassis and the price is in line. I started the a same way on my A but if I had to do it all over again I would find a whole car. I built my chassis first and couldn't find decent deal on just a body so I ended up buying a complete model a and used the body on my chassis and had to sell all extra parts. worked out great in a round about way. good luck!

20. Fredb_

Fredb_

Yeah Tony, that one does look like the right choice. I haven't gone to look at it, but it is only about 20mi from my home. I saw it a week or so ago on CL and thought the same thing. Might have to go take a gander. )