Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Feature: Featured Threads

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Ryan, May 21, 2015.

1. Should be interesting, just too bad you have to go to Survey Monkey headquarters to visit your own kids Ryan.......... I'm sure they'll remember you.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

63fdsnr likes this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's enjoyable to read feedback from you fellas.

Speaking for Moderators..... we welcome feedback to Ryan's ideas.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Nice feature.

The HAMB just keeps getting better even after you think it can't possibly get any better.

4. I'm actually liking it more than I thought I would. Hope you decide to keep it and continue to refine it......................Don.:)

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As for the "featured post", if it's something I'm interested in, then I'll click on it after I've hovered on it to see just what it is about. I agree, if it's something that doesn't interest me, then I'll move on.
    But while we, the viewers, have a "bully platform" so to speak, in that it's quite apparent you're reading these posts and you do care, perhaps you'll consider the thoughts of a 77 yr. old who is an old hot rodder as well as an old man.
    Ryan, I don't know your actual age, but I suspect you're younger than my son, LOL! Appears you've been involved in digital media since it surfaced on the internet. It is your life, your source of income, and greatly appreciated by all of us.
    Thx to Jalopy Journal and the HAMB, I have found solutions to many problems in construction, repair, and maintenance of my hot rods. Even found my '40 Ford coupe in your classifieds. Met the guys that eventually invited me into their club, Sock Fuckers Car Club, and many other people who are now good friends. Nobody appreciates your efforts more than I.
    But to most people with whom I talk, the constant change of what is required to utilize features which we have managed to negotiate reasonably well and then they are suddenly changed so much that it's a whole new learning procedure to accomplish our purpose of being here on HAMB, and is not appreciated.
    A lot of us just like to use HAMB and it's features to talk with friends on the social groups, often on topics not allowed on the main board, AND come over here on the main board to offer and receive info on all the various aspects of hot rodding, and we all appreciate you making it avaoilable. In fact I personally have been accused of "shilling" for you about joining the Alliance!
    But computers and the internet are a secondary, but necessary thing to us, not a way of life, nor an activity that we enjoy having to relearn every time you feel you need to arouse our interest in the site.
    New features are appreciated, but if you could come up with a way to incorporate them in without requiring all the cussing our neighbors can hear and the teeth clinching that adds to our dentist bills, I believe these changes would be better received.
    This isn't only a problem here on HAMB, but throughout the internet, as programmers whose whole life is computers, figure out how to redo things that are second nature to them to accomplish, but for the "great unwashed" almost incomprehensible, and the source of much agony and aggravation.
    Just trhe thoughts of an old man who enjoys the HAMB and misses some old web site friends who have departed for Facebook, Instagram, cell phone texting, and who the Hell knows what else.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Constant? We've had one major format change in the last decade... And only three in the past 20 years.

In any case, the HAMB innovates. Always has... Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse! But we have to stay on top of shit or we will die.

Facebook sucks. Instagram will eventually. And we are still here. Hope to be for a long time!

7. Can we get a function that weeds out folks who complain about the HAMB while posting ON the HAMB!? ;)

daddio211 and 63fdsnr like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Complaints are good... They help me figure out how I've screwed up!

9. Roger53

Roger53

My Only complain is that I didn't find the site a lot sooner ! But I'm one of the unwashed when it comes to these damned things computing is love it hate it for me . I'm more of a looker then a poster . But I say keep on a hot rodden the HAMB because it's what hot rodder do! Roger

10. Constructive criticism is good just whining is for naught. Boss you are doing a fine job to try to stay on top of this everyday fast moving world. Thanks for all you do.
    I'm older than most but still try to learn new stuff every day.
    Great site & I still haven't figured out this P O S that gets me here every day. heh heh he.
    Thanks again.
    Burn Out Bob

Attached Files:

11. Im finding the feature funny. Some of the ones it picks to feature are some of the lamest threads at the time. It picked out one that a guy was asking what is this. Turns out it was an air foil for a TBI throttle body. Only funny because it was as anti traditional as it could be. :D

12. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

It's a great idea, but so far it's been pretty weird threads. I really like the idea of it, there are build threads with tons of posts that I somehow miss for days, and I'm on multiple times a day. Once it's all tuned up it should be awesome

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

14. Hi Ryan, While I appreciate the way the feature post get you to see threads, I wouldn't see otherwise.
    It would be cool if that header could have an ON/OFF funtion, like when you have an announcement and there is a click box in the upper corner to make it go away.

Also on the very left down down the NEW POSTs button would be nice to have before the two new featured post buttons. I was gonna lose my crap if the NEW POST button was gone- this the second most used for me on any forum.
    What Im saying here is you should see how many people actually want to see the latest and greatest vs a highlighted thread.

It seems to me what will happen is the noobs, or younger guys will be tech savvy enough to figure a hack to get the crap featured. When most people have other types of threads they already like to see.

Maybe if the featured post funtion was customizable to a users viewing habits. Im sure you collect some metrics that would help this.

Thanks for starting this thread and being receptive to users thoughts.

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Personally, I think it is overkill.. I usually scan the whole board and by holding the pointer on a thread title gives me a brief synopsis on whether to continue or not and I think that is enough.. However, I'm cool with whatever the board decides...

16. Like it!
    Already made it!
    Hope it wasn't "dumb shit" !!!!!!

17. Well I don't see a need for a shut off button if someone doesn't like to look at featured threads it makes it easy to not look at them. :D

I have noticed that some of the class ads are featured. That is why I came back to this thread to decipher what makes a thread feature worthy.

Not bothered by it just got curious about it.

Tony Martino likes this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's completely automated and based off of the number of views, likes, and replies a thread gets...

So far it's working well... But every now and then a bs thread will get featured. I manually unfeature it and for some reason it gets featured again...