Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs F1 not turning left

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sprout, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Just reinstalled 3" dropped axle in my F1. I put in a new kingpin set, and bent the steering arm down. Now I get about half a turn left and it stops. What did I do wrong?

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Did you have the arm off the steering box? Can you see anything hitting? Gary

3. Just a guess......when you bent the arm down it changed the amount of travel in one direction so your steering box is no longer centered. Or its hitting something now.

4. verde742

verde742

is the tire hitting the drag link, you know, the thingie between the pitman arm and the steering arm?

bending the steering arm the way you should have: will Not effect the centering of the steering box.

5. Sprout

Sprout

Going to check the steering arm tonight after work

6. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

3 rights = 1 left

7. conservative truck!!

tb33anda3rd and harpo1313 like this.
  8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Did you index the arm to the box before you removed it?

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Pitman needs to be reset to center the box . If I am thinkin correctly the draglink is now longer than stock so it has caused the box to be off center

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

you will be All Right

11. Sprout

Sprout

Thats why I was confused. Took apart the front end, didnt mess with piman arm and draglink. Just took it loose of the steering arm and reinstalled after it was bent down.

12. Look for stuff banging into other stuff. Disconnect the drag link and see if the box has full motion. If the box does not have full motion then it is probably nothing you done wrong the box just chose today to take a crap on you, if you have things bumping into each other then you will have to figure out how to cure that problem

13. Did
    your steering box is not centered center.
    Disconnect the linkage from the box, center box from lock to lock / point both tire forward/put it back together. With all adjustments at nominal adjustment.

volvobrynk and Sprout like this.
  14. Sprout

Sprout

Draglink was hitting bottom motor mount. Now it needs a shorter draglink to turn all the way to the right

15. I must have got up on the wrong side of the Bed today. I can't think of anything constructive to say. Just a bunch of Smart Ass questions rolling around in my head. Sorry,,,,,, I'll log out now.
    The Wizzard

verde742 likes this.
  16. Or notch the mount.

@Pist-n-Broke (Wizzard) I got up OK today, but switched to generic meds this spring. Sometimes they really kick my ass and today is one of those days, tomorrow I am going to go back and read what I posted today and say,"Daaaaammmmmn did I really say that?" :D

17. verde742

verde742

I certainly understand that !!!!

18. I thought I'd try this again being I generally am pretty supportive of the Young Blood in the Hobby. Then I re read the opening question/statement. Nothing changed. Have I just recognised the beginning of Old Guy Syndrone? Have I actually slid over the edge of "To Old"?
    The Wizzard

Model T1 likes this.
  19. Looks like you are just becoming normal. At least I think I am normal and I have been this way all my life. :D

Model T1 likes this.
  20. Model T1

Model T1

I'm no help with this one. I just hope some of you confused guys are really normal. That makes me feel normaler!:rolleyes: