Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Identifying this 1954s/1950's American sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Kipling, Jun 18, 2015.

1. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

Photograph taken approx. 1957 in the UK.

What is the car parked behind the modified racer? here is the photo link: http://www.oldstox.com/images/hudson query.jpg

I'd also like to confirm that the modified's motor is a sidevalve straight-8 --- Buick perhaps?

You guys have been super helpful in the past; I just wish I'd had the expertise to help someone in return --- but still waiting. Meanwhile, thanks..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  2. Looks like 49/52 4dr chevy you can,t see enough to be sure.

3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

The door handles don't look right for GM---I'm not sure what it is tho---

4. Buick never built a side valve 8. Hudson??

5. aaggie

aaggie

Chevy would have had push button door handles. Two piece windshield and just a glimpse of the hood ornament says Pontiac.

6. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

The tow car's rear window has a distinctive "quarter light", and that's a big roof quarter panel back there. Not quite a 40 Ford sedan deluxe. Plenty of chrome trim. Can't quite see if it has a rear door or not. Anyone?

7. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

8. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

Thanks; I've looked at Packards and Hudons and Pontiacs, and it's awful hard for me to distinguish among them.
    However, quite a few Hudsons were imported into the UK, and Hudson straight-8 engines were built into the rare Railton cars in the 1940's, so your identification seems sound.

9. Squablow

Squablow

10. Squablow

Squablow

48 Buick

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

I've been puzzling over the apparent "chrome strip" that follows the rear fender line: could that be a reflection/highlight along the fender crease, in the old photograph? The Buick has no chrome strip there.

The rest perfectly matches the Buick you showed, especially that heavy roof quarter panel, a lovely bit of bodywork.

12. raidmagic

raidmagic

I think it matches the Buick, I think you are correct that is a reflection rather than trim on the quarter panel.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The car behind the coupe is a '42 thru '47/ '48 GM "C" body car, most likely a '46/'48 Buick. But it could be a '42/'47 Cadillac Series 62 or Olds 98. IF Buick, it would have an OHV straight 8 of either 248 or 320 cubic inches, depending on specific model.

The car in the foreground, I don't know about, but the engine in it is definitely not Buick, but if GM, could be Pontiac or Oldsmobile???? or something else entirely.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    Dago 88 and Bama Jama like this.
  14. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

It is always a pleasure to see the kind of informative and polite and helpful responses that H.A.M.B. members post. There is no other forum where posters are so prompt and so 'straight-arrow', and with so much careful expertise. There, end of the flattery component :)

15. Johnerman

Johnerman

1931 olds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I was going to suggest like others a larger GM 'C' 'body like a 46-48 Olds 98, only by the wrap around rear bumper tip, a little different to the Buick pictured above.

[​IMG]

17. 47-48 Buick was my first thought but yes, now I think it's an Oldsmobile.

18. 2racer

2racer

19. I think the modified coupe might be a Dodge or DeSoto eight from around 1930.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I opened the link you provided and saw the description of the race car as a Model A.
    In my opinion, that description is in error. The door appears to be way too long, the quarter glass area too narrow and the windshield pillars/framing are not the same as Model A details.

I may not know what is, but I think I know what it isn't.:D

Ray

volvobrynk likes this.