Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Indroduction and Question - 49 Buick Super

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by FortMoe, Jun 29, 2015.

1. FortMoe

FortMoe

Hello everyone. I just purchased a '49 Buick Super with a partial restoration done. Plans are to drive it this season and start a mild custom over the winter. Since I live in the next town up from Donn Lowe, I plan on having him take a little off the top. I'm not planning a full on custom but more subtle. I do have a question. The former owner did not replace the door weatherstripping on it and I need to find replacements. I would like to go with Steele products but they show several profiles and say to "compare it with your original" without any original door or trunk weatherstripping I cant do that. Has anyone else done a 49 Buick and know which part numbers to order?

Oh, and since a thread is worthless without pictures I'll include one. That's me next to the new Buick and the Cobra Replica I just sold.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am totally JEALOUS !! A '49 Super Sedanet is one of my favorite Buicks.
    Congratulations on your new Buick.

Ray

3. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

4. FortMoe

FortMoe

I checked out oldbuickparts.com out but they didn't have any door weatherstrip for a 1949.

VERY NICE 49 its_a_nick!!

5. A shot in the dark here but have you tried cross referencing other GMs in that year ?

6. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the HAMB. Bob's Automobilia out of Calif. is a good source. I just put new rubber in my 49 Sedanette doors from Steele. I will check out the part number. I can also give you other rubber numbers for the sedanette. Send me a personal message if you have other needs.

7. FortMoe

FortMoe

Thank you for the help! right now I just need to know the proper part numbers for the doors and the trunk. I think the doors and trunk use two different profiles depending on it's location on the door or trunk. I'm sure I'll have other questions later.

8. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The door seal, rubber all around the door, is part number "DW-493" in Bob's Automobelia catalogue. This is what I used. Actually he was just having it dropped shipped from Steele and renumbering it in his catalogue, but it was considerably cheaper. The number in the Steele catalogue is 70-0145-73.

The rubber is held in via 3-m glue on the top and sides and is pinched held by metal tabs on the bottom.

I didn't see the reference to trunk weather stripping the first time. I can check which number I used if you want. They make a molded piece for the upper corners which works better than trying to curve the basic seal around the curve.

9. FortMoe

FortMoe

Trunk numbers would be great. I think there are two types needed. In the gutter at the top and around the lid on the sides and bottom. Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  10. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The corner seal sections from Steele's are 60-0511-85. The gutter and lid number's from Bob's are Tl 493 and TG 493.

11. Another place with loads of parts is Restoration Specialties. Often they have dimensions with their products, makes it easy to match up what you need. I got all the window channel for my Ford through them.

12. FortMoe

FortMoe

Thanks guys! I have an order sent in to Bob's.