Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ´34 Ford HotRod, pg. 9 the mouse motor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Baumi, May 6, 2015.

1. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thirtytwo, thanks for the pic! Do you have an idea when the car was converted from 29 rpu to 34 Sedan?

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It's all kinda fuzzy these days ....it was a pickup before I met Fabian, he always used to do stuff at the last minute before shows so my guess is 2002 or 2003 before vlv or paso pretty sure it's maiden voyage was viva and was in bare steel it may have been primered yellow also that year prior to bonneville,

I think Peter Vincent took some photos of dianna branches 32 with this car and were dubbed " the Easter eggs" as the 34 was bright yellow and diannas car was bright robin egg blue primer

Pics in mags I know of
    -As a pickup rolls and pleats- maybe burnout
    -Rolls and pleats as a sedan , bare steel vlv
    -Street Rodder maybe? Coverage of LARS and the truck body was at the swap meet after the re-body
    -American Rodder when Jon dianna poked fun of paso( interior shot with no floor boards)
    - rolls and pleats again on vlv coverage when you seen it yellow primer

els and Baumi like this.
  3. Cool car, cool story. Love the shot of you towing it home with the E39 wagon !

els and Baumi like this.
  4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Guys! I know, Iknow, I´m slow , and an update was long overdue...I promise, I wasn´t totally usless I was just tinkering along on a lot of little details and I wasn´t really sure how deep I wanted to dig into this project... I love this car , so I thought I just fix what I think needs fixing. Now I´m in well over my head, but I guess that´s just how I am, hahaha All Hot Rodders know what I mean when I say that things have been snowballing for me....

After I had new bushings in the old 34 pedals I still didn´t like the way I had to step "onto" the pedals instead of pushing them forward.... I had an old 50s 356 Porsche pedal assembly I got with another project, and they looked like they could fit....or maybe made to fit... On my way there I made a couple new floor boards and good use of a trans tunnel I had cut out of a 61 Buick years ago.
    Instead of a clutch linkage I will be using an older CNC clutch master cyl and a hydraulic throwout bearing. I tried to keep the clutch linkage, but moving the pedal assy far forward, the linkage would have been too short and it´s angle had been way too crooked to be operating properly.

I also made a new steering column with a closed ball bearing, a column drop, I braced the A-pillars and the roof structure, made an inner door structure and new door bottoms...

Right now I´m working on the pedal assembly covers...figuring out the small stuff took me quite some time, so there´s not so much to see... I´m making a little progress, but at least the pics kind of proof I ´m not just out in the garage drinking beer and listening to Junior Brown ... 10.01.2016 004.jpg 10.01.2016 009.jpg 15.11.2015 015.jpg 15.11.2015 024.jpg 15.11.2015 019.jpg 20.11.2015 003.jpg 55chev 028.jpg 55 ch 031.jpg 20.11.2015 008.jpg

bonesy, els, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That´s where I am at right now.... I ´ll also have to do a couple of little body repairs.....What brought up the thought if I´m just fixing up the existing yellow paintjob on the repaired spots or go ahead and repaint the body GM autumn gold with a white frame, rearend, dash and firewall....
    IMG_3552.JPG IMG_3549.JPG IMG_3550.JPG

brEad, Par34, els and 2 others like this.
  6. LTM75110

LTM75110

I parked next to this car at the Dallas Autorama a few years ago ,Good luck with your rebuild.Nice car.

els and Baumi like this.
  7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! Yes , it´s been in the Dallas / Fort Worth area for quite a while. That´s where I bought it.

Today I finished the pedal assembly cover, made a mount for the emergency brake and started fixing a few details on the rockers. They were cut out partially ,so now it was time to fix this.
    IMG_3558.JPG IMG_3559.JPG IMG_3560.JPG IMG_3562.JPG IMG_3564.JPG IMG_3563.JPG

Stogy, bonesy, els and 2 others like this.
  8. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Good to see some progress on here, keep at it!

Stogy, els and Baumi like this.
  9. You are making good headway and it looks like you will be taking it to the next level when you are done.

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Your rebuild is going well! Good work.

11. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Always liked the Sedan, very nice man, very nice!

Nick.

12. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

WOW, Glad you are just making a few minor alterations to the car. LOL. By the way just curious, what are the fender laws in your neck of the woods? Larry

bonesy, els and Baumi like this.
  13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the compliments!
    Non-fender laws are pretty much non existent here. There is a law stating that every vehicle needs some kind of fenders to prevent stones and mud from being thrown at following traffic. For vehicles newer than 1962 there are defined minimum fender sizes ( I think 1/3 or 1/4 of the wheel must be covered at the width of the tread), for vehicles older than ´62 the law only says that the car is required to have some sort of "fender"...I´ll sneek my way through that.
    The German title contains lots of details, like gross weight of the car, height, displacment and power output, tire sizes, and any modifications from stock must be inspected and altered in the title.... You know, in Germany back then there never was such a thing as traditional hot rodding, at least not to the extent as in the US. Someguys have put 356 Porsche engines in beetles in the 60s, but that pretty much was it...
    The TÜV-safety inspectors are used to check brakes, lights, overall vehicle safety and they put any alteration of a car ( in case the alteration is safe, passes the inspection and is TÜV accepted )in the title...
    I think one of my least worries will be the missing fenders when I tell the TÜV guys, that my 34 Ford has a modified 32 Ford frame, the Body a chopped and sectioned 34, the rearend 57 Chevy, the engine 56 Ford T-Bird....there is a legal way to get through that but most of all it is important and necessary to find a TÜV guy who is ready to jump the loops with you.... You know the Johnny Cash song Psychobilly Cadillac?

So after you have convinced your TÜV engineer that your chopped and channeled mouse trap is perfectly safe and sound, you have too proof and document that all of the alterations are traditional or may have been possible within the first 20 years ( roughly) after the car has left the assembly line.
    Y-Block, 283 Chevy, Nailhead, early Caddy, Hemis, etc, the early generation of OHV engines would fit that .
    That pretty much is how it works here. I am already in contact with my TÜV engineer who is an old car guy aswell, and if I build that car reasonably nice and clean there should be no problem. But he wouldn´t have accepted open floors, no inner door structure, sharp edges everywhere, sloppy steering, no turn signals, no hazard flasher, no emergency brake, plexi windshield, and so on...
    The imperfection is part ot the soul of an early lakes hot rod, but there´s no way the get it on the road here like how it arrived...so I figured, if I have to go through everything anyway I can aswell do as good as I can...and save as much of the look and history as I can

Stogy, brEad, bonesy and 2 others like this.
  14. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

GOOD - LUCK - CAR - LOOKSS - COOOOLLLLL - TIME to HAVE FUNNNN:D:D:D:D:D-:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

els and Baumi like this.
  15. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

this is probably the coolest story I've seen so far on here! Awesome car! Awesome story! I absolutely love it man!

bonesy, els and Baumi like this.
  16. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rockers had some bullet holes(?) in them and lots of pin holes, so I ordered them at Macs last Monday night and they arrived here by Friday. Shipping was 35$, not too bad for shipping a pair of rockers and quarter panel bottoms half way around to world.
    The door gaps needed some attention in a few spots, but everything worked out fine.The inner rockers were very solid, no pinholes and no thin spots... I really wondered why the outer rockers were so bad compared to the inners...

I was listening to the Ramones all day, that made me work faster , so I finished the passenger side rocker and almost got the drivers side finished, too. The lower quarter panel still needs some trimming on the driver´s side, but that´s it... IMG_3598.JPG IMG_3601.JPG IMG_3602.JPG IMG_3603.JPG IMG_3603.JPG IMG_3608.JPG IMG_3609.JPG IMG_3614.JPG

Outback, Stogy, brEad and 7 others like this.
  17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And here comes the driver´s side. I kinda knew what was waiting for me, so this side was a little easier to do...so I switched over to Junior Brown and took it easy, hahaha
    The door bottom on the driver´s side doesn´t have a continous curve, not a lot, adding 2-4millimeters will do... IMG_3618.JPG IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3622.JPG IMG_3621.JPG IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3625.JPG

Outback, Stogy, brEad and 5 others like this.
  18. texkbc

texkbc

Nice work., are you going to repaint it the same color?

els and Baumi like this.
  19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

texkbc: Maybe it will return to yellow, maybe some kind of bright gold ( like metalic yellow) with a white frame and firewall.
    Got a little further into this yesterday.... finished the driver´s side rocker, inner rocker, added a little to the dr side lower door edge to make the gap more even and made a filler panel for the transition between firewall und inner rocker....here come the pics, hahahaha
    IMG_3648.JPG IMG_3649.JPG IMG_3650.JPG IMG_3653.JPG IMG_3657.JPG IMG_3658.JPG

Stogy, bonesy, els and 1 other person like this.
  20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also drilled some drain holes in the rear panel and the lower 1/4 panel bottoms so trapped water can get out and will not wreck havoc from the inside again.... I will also use some cavity wax or grease in the rockers after the body has new paint on it, just to be sure nothing will rot out again.... we get some rain here, this is not Texas or Arizona, unfortunately, hahahaha

the lower gap is alot better now....
    IMG_3662.JPG

not welded yet, had to call it a day because honey called to meet her on the couch IMG_3664.JPG

Stogy, brEad, bonesy and 3 others like this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

Nice job. You don't have a bed? Hahaha

Outback, Stogy, els and 1 other person like this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I do, but the couch is as far as I get after a day out in the shop, hahahahaha

Outback, Stogy and els like this.
  23. First time I've seen your thread . . . just wanted to let you know that you're doing a great job on this car and fixing a lot of things that were a bit rough, or just needed attention. It is great that you're going through all the metal work, cutting bad stuff out, etc. - you'll be preserving it for the future (yours and others). Keep up the good work and keep the imagination and creativity going!

B&S

Stogy, els, rpm56 and 1 other person like this.
  24. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the kind words!

Stogy and els like this.
  25. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was busy today, cleaning everything an sealing the floors with epoxy primer.Next step will be to seal all the little gaps between the panels with seam sealer and then getting ready for paint.... everything looks better in white, hahaha IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3685.JPG IMG_3687.JPG

Outback, Stogy, brEad and 4 others like this.
  26. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Looks good so far. Lots of work but worth the effort.

27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, here´s another little update. Nothing big, but I´m about to get the body ready for paint right now, I sealed the floors with seam sealer to avoid moisture ( and maybe salt) to be trapped in the gap between the floors and the floor structure...I also blasted the frame and lots of little parts at a friend´s place close by. A few cosmetical updates will be made, but nothing major... I hope to have the body and frame painted at the end of May/ early June. I´ll keep you posted:)Thanks for watching
    13.04.2016 020.jpg 13.04.2016 001.jpg 13.04.2016 006.jpg

Outback, Stogy, brEad and 5 others like this.
  28. Xman

Xman

Very nice work. Keep at it, you'll get there.

29. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yesterday I started to work on the frame . The good news is, it is completely straight and true, only a few cosmetical touches have to be made. The frame horns were a bit twisted and dented. I didn´t know what 32 frame horns looked like and how they flowed , so I searched the web and found all the measurements i needed...I somehow couldn´t name what was wrong in the first place, but as I got closer to the measurements the better looked the frame horns.
    Before: IMG_4237.JPG
    the point of no return
    IMG_4243.JPG IMG_4244.JPG getting better
    IMG_4247.JPG
    almost done...also put on some new grillshell mounts... IMG_4252.JPG IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4255.JPG
    A few more little details on the frame and it will be ready for paint, not much left to do here. I also found the stock VIN on the frame... it is hardly readable, I think it is C 301 xxx or something similar...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Outback, bonesy, els and 1 other person like this.
  30. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also got some filler on the body where it got new rockers and lower quarters. Most of it will be sanded down. My skills are not good enough to get away without any filler, but I try to avoid to use excessive amounts... IMG_4259.JPG IMG_4257.JPG
    IMG_4258.JPG

brEad, bonesy, els and 2 others like this.