Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I've followed along from the start. Just a jaw dropping build! Hat's off to you and congrats, you must be grinning ear to ear!

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Congratulations!
    Great car and craftsmanship.
    Thanks for taking us along... we've learned many new things.
    Keep workin'
    Al

3. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Wow. I hope you get some video at some stage. It looks wonderful.

4. (x2) !!

Outback likes this.
  5. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, Yes, that must have been a great been a great day. Congratulations are due, this is a incredible accomplishment. Thanks for the great sequence of pictures, who was your photographer? I believe there is the first shot of the freshly chromed grill installed in the painted car included as well. It looks terrific!
    It is too bad it was loading up, that's like someone stealing the icing of your cake. Strombergs are simple carbs so they will be easy to adjust, just remember that with two they each only see half of the vacuum a single carb would see, causing premature activation of the power valve enrichment circuit when you get to adjusting the carbs. I bet it will run great right now if you disconnect the throttle linkage from one carb or the other in the mean time.
    I see you have the windshield glass installed but can't tell about the rest of the glass from those pictures.
    Did your original seat lack its springs or were they too far gone to use. I still have the seat from mine that I need to get rid of. You welcome to it if you like. Complete down to the ripfree mohair upholstery. Same with the door panels.
    It looks like you'll make it to Speedweek with her now.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

Outback likes this.
  6. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

This has been a great build to follow. It is a spectacular car, thanks for sharing.

7. Thanks everyone. She is coming still moving along. I got the skirts on and the hubcaps back from the chrome shop. The side glass is supposed to be here this week witch would be great. I have been driving her every chance I get even with the crappy carbs. Until today. Hough dropped the new Stromberg's by the shop today. So I came home and installed them she now actually wants to idle and runs much smoother witch is a great improvement. Here she is today in front of the shop. And in the beginning.
    She has come a long way but there is still a lot of little details to finish up.

skatermann, chrisp, firepilot and 7 others like this.
  8. AWESOME BUILD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing your photos & info......Be SAFE & HAVE FUN !!!!!!

9. "You've come a long way, baby!"; (old cigarette ad from the '60s - you had to be there...)
    Those slenderous curves are a work of art; hats off to ya, man, ya nailed it!

10. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Man! This is looking so killer!

11. Thanks for the interest. The fun has just begun.

Thanks. Cant wait to get her dialed in so I can put the hood on.

Thanks. Getting closer every day.

12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Man that must be a great feeling getting that beautiful project out on the road....... I have really enjoyed your build thread and appreciate you taking us along for the ride!

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I totally agree with The 39 guy, the fact that you are taking us along on the first trips is great. I want to see another photo shoot like the bare metal one, and of course I can't wait to see it in Wendover. Some guys like Zebo make us fall in love with their builds and then drive off into the sunset never to be heard from again.:(

14. Driving her is still surreal. But I enjoy every minute.
    Thanks. The plan is to go back to the same garage and do another shoot. Should happen sometime this summer I hope.
    I plan to post photos from Bonneville Hotrod Hill Climb and anywhere else we happen to end up.

15. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, I want to commend you, and I think I speak for many of us Hambers: On Sunday it will be only two years since your initial posting that started this thread. Your posts have taken us through the entire process of rebuild your coupe. Thank You for that contribution. Now your coupe is on the road and inches from being finished. You managed to accomplish all this while holding down a full time job, putting an addition on your garage, installing a new engine in your wife's Vette and probably several other untold diversions. Yet you stayed focused on the coupe's completion which we can all see from here is a work of art and good taste.
    I think you should take this Holiday weekend to enjoy your accomplishment and take it for a cruise!
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^^I know I sound like a broken record but, "What he said!"
    It has been a great treat and very informative as well as inspirational to travel the path to success with your coupe... and the wife's vette engine!!

17. Beat me to the "two year" post ... as well ... got smoked on the two year build ... period. Unreal. You are the man on the mission. That car loves you.

18. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Man,absolutly fantastic !!!

19. Abosutely beatiful car. Awesome color choice too

20. Thanks. I am truly humbled by all the interest support and helpful suggestions through the entire build. Even though she is far from finished it is time for her to bask in the sun. She has always been intended to be a driver ( and she will be driven everywhere ) but she has taken on a life of her own that I had never expected. The following here and elsewhere blows my mind. All I can say is THANKS to everyone here and to all my friends who have helped in many ways and to my wife for being so extremely understanding and supportive through the entire build.

36 ROKIT likes this.
  21. Mark brought my glass by Friday after work so I installed the quarter windows and the rear window yesterday and then I went out and drove the wheels off of her the rest of the day. So far she runs a bit hot but it has been over a hundred lately and she hasn't boiled over so that is a good sign.
    Thanks again four port riley for the new Stromberg's. They fixed the idle problems I was having and she runs much smoother on the bottom end. She is much happier.
    Time to get off my butt and go button up a few more items so I can get them off the to do list.
    Later Kipp.

daddio211 and nitrobrother like this.
  22. brady1929

brady1929

You have a lot to be proud of. She is beautiful.

23. Speechless!

daddio211 likes this.
  24. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great build. Pretty please bring it over to the Nugget parking lot Speedweek Friday nite.

vic

25. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This will be one of the legendary builds on HAMB...

Outback likes this.
  26. Thanks.
    You should stop by sometime.
    We will defiantly be there. I just hope the rain stops. Test and tune was a no go last week not a good sign.
    Thanks. That would be a tough spot to fill.

27. I have been pluging away at the small tedious things that need finishing. Got the rubber on top of the doors the scuff plates on the door sill's installed the cigarette lighter so I can charge my phone got the door glass and felt on the garnish molding installed and many other little things finished.
    The linkage between the pedal assembly and the carb wasent working quit right so I found and installed a better rod witch allowed the throttle to work correctly.

28. Last week milkweed suggested that we drive down to Bo Huffs Show on Saturday witch sounded like a good event to attend. East carbon is 142 miles each way over a fairly large mountain range. With around 100 to 150 miles on he I was a little skeptical as o weather it was a good idea to drive her or not but I guess will never know how she will run long distance unless I go for it. Friday afternoon we decided to go for it so Milkweed started looking to see if anyone else was up for a drive. Mot everyone was heading down Friday to hit the party Friday night. Brian and Mike decided to roll with us at the last minute so we had a plan. Brian recently started to run a business out of his shop and has more work than he knows what to do with so his roadster hasent gotten many miles this summer. I think we all stayed up late getting ready for the drive.
    Saturday morning 7am came mighty early. Setting out front warming up she is as ready as she is going to get. We hit Milkweeds house not a cloud in the sky no rain in the forcast and we were off. We hit the gas station to top off and get ice. The 36, Mikes 34 ford (my old truck), Milkweeds 37 chevy, and Brians Packard straight Eight powered roadster.
    We ran about fifty miles to the bas of the mountain and stopped to get a drink before heading up. At the top I decided that I wanted to stop at a little pull off and get a couple pic's.

firepilot and daddio211 like this.
  29. After hanging for a bit we across the top and down the other side. She got a little hot running up at the summit so I backed out of her a little and she seemed to be a little more happy other than that she was funning great. As we got close to east carbon you could see a large rain cloud that seemed to be heading our way. Sure enough we intersected with the rain about two miles out. We rolled into the show in a major down pour. Without having my insert in the roof yet when I stopped moving the rain came straight in and poor Briar had no roof. Being as I really don't have any interior I took the seat back and bottom out and slid them into the trunk so that that I dident have to deal with a soaked ass all the way home.
    After about half an hour of hanging under a pop up the rain rolled out and the sun came back. My friend Prentice was there with his 36 3 window on the end of a row so I parked next to him. He painted his car a couple months before me and he picked maroon. I struggled with what to do with my color because his was about the same color I had been planning for years. After a lot of thought I decided just to pick the color I wanted and if it was to close to the same I dident car. SOOOOOO here they are next to each other for the first time and they are dam close.

30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I like the maroon on the 36 the best!:D
    Both beautiful cars. The owners should be proud.