Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with body to frame bolts

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pops42coupe, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Pops42coupe

Pops42coupe

I'm in the process of trying to remove the body from the frame on my 42 ford coupe,to fix body rust and upgrade the suspension,and general cleaning and such. I've found the bolts in the trunk,and the obvious by the firewall,but there's got to be more than that,and call me captain obvious,but can't seem to find any others. and this things not budging. Does anyone know where they're all located. Trying to work between showers and just not finding them...

Thanks,Skip...

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

There should be bolts in the middle of the body also. Usually 4. Get under the car with a flashlight and look closely. Good luck.

3. oldolds

oldolds

4. Pops42coupe

Pops42coupe

Ok,so the other end of the bolts must be on the inside of the car somewhere. Got hold of them but they just keep spinning. I haven't taken the seats out for lack of a place to keep them stored until time to upholster.

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

No idea, but WOW, you have a 42!

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

They are under seats, floor mats, etc.........if you want to remove the body, the inside stuff has to come out, even if only temporarily.

Ray

7. Pops42coupe

Pops42coupe

Yeah my grandfather left it to me when he passed on. I begged him to let me do it up when I was younger,but he said i'd mess it up. Then he got a 57'studebaker,and quit messin with the ford. He passed away sadly in 2010,left it to me. I've got a running driving 78' mustang II mach 1,302 .030 over,lunati,pete jackson ect. thats a good ol'car but the t-tops have left it rusty. I plan to use the engine suspension in the 42'. I've got everything new as far as bushings, ball joints,rack all new for the II. Been working at it a little along. Starting to get into the deeper stuff...

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think you're better off fixing & hopping up the 42 up as it is and keep the torch away from the MII. They don't make either anymore, and there's better aftermarket IFS out there if you must go that route. There are guys out there that actually like and build MII's, so you might want to mull cutting yours up over a bit.

9. Pops42coupe

Pops42coupe

Yeah,I used to be one of those guys. Budgets change,Get older and have different interests. Besides I still have a 57' golden hawk clone,a 39' john deere,A 79' f150 4x4,two motorcycles and two teenagers to deal with,and surgery to remove a bone tumor on my sacrum. the horse been good,but just got too many...

10. Pops42coupe

Pops42coupe

Ok,That was easy. The reason they just kept spinning,they were broke. Yay! more to fix yay! Thanks guys for your help.

Appreciate it,Skip...