Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hamb Friendly

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Fender1325, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

I need to vent this here.

Just about every time I visit the forum, somebody in a thread I read comments something isn't hamb friendly. Or that its suggested you dont use street rod or rat rod because its frowned upon.

Look, I get it, if some guy is trying to put up a thread on his 1991 fox body mustang this isn't the place to do it. But people begin splitting hairs - "is that a 64 or 65? Four door? Thats not exactly hamb friendly!"

It tends to happen to a lot of new-comers. It starts to create this exclusivity and turns people off from sharing their projects, knowledge and vice versa. Lets lighten up folks.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  2. 117harv

117harv

Your comment has been said by many a new member, the rules clearly state what is acceptable. Some may not be completely clear on what traditional cars should look like, and that's OK, but as the rules state ( read and familiarize yourself with the workings for awhile before jumping right in and posting ).

This is the ONLY site of it's kind, if you let too much OT stuff slide then the place gets polluted for lack of a better word. I wont "lighten up" as you put it because i'm here for traditional HOTRODS and CUSTOMS.

gwhite, Muttley and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I recently had a local builder tell a friend of mine that I was an "elitist" when it came to hot rods and customs. At first, I was kind of bummed... But then I thought about it a little more and I actually understand how he could come to that conclusion. I mean, I very definitely know what I like and the HAMB represents a very narrow view of the hot rod and custom world for sure...

But here's the thing... This isn't a personal thing. Meaning, I don't feel as though people that don't share my view are lower than myself. I don't feel as though a traditional hot rod is better than a street rod. I really don't. In fact, it's arguable that in a lot of cases more talent goes into creating a street rod than a traditional hot rod.

All that being said, the HAMB is here to focus on traditional hot rods and customs. That's an EDITORIAL decision. We could easily broaden our coverage, but then the site becomes too big for my tastes... and threads that interest me become few and further between those that do... and I stop having fun.

So, it is what it is... and it is this way because of me - not anyone else. And I'm the way I am because of the things I like and enjoy - not because I feel elite or because I think others don't "get it."

bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Fender1325

Fender1325

I can appreciate where you guys are coming from, I really can. Not only that, but hot rods and customs of this period are what I prefer and enjoy as well.

My concern is that when those cars and proud owners come to join - and the car might be borderline - as in, a 4 door 64 or 65 - the group hounds them for being wrong. "You're not one of us!" kind of thing. It stinks.

I think theres a slight generational gap going on here as well. I'm 29. Young and not too common to be into this era of car. None of my car friends are into this old stuff. Any older friends immediately dont like that my 50 caddy is a 4 door. Doesnt bother me in the slightest. I actually prefer the 4 doors on big cars.

I just dont want to see the hobby of hot rodding or customizing these vehicles get an "air" of exclusivity about it which would shun younger generations of getting into it. The world has enough yuppies with starbucks and gluten free this and that. Lets not forget the spirit that started the whole thing.

Again, I agree, nobody here including myself wants to see late model mustangs and camaros taking over the site.

5. 117harv

117harv

Lots of back and fourth here on the four door thing, it's not OT if the car is the right age, I like them on the right car. As for the comment that the member made on another thread, he came back and said he was mistaken about the year cutoff.

I try and get the younger car guys into vintage iron, I have had some success. As the saying goes, ( you can lead a horse to water....

Fender1325 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I actually like your Caddy, 4-door or not. As far as the "generation gap", yeah maybe I can see your point to an extent. I'm thrilled when I see younger guys who appreciate traditional hot-rods and customs. (I'm 64). I think there are more than you may realize. Even Ryan (with all due respect) is not an old guy. I would like to think and hope that the love of these vehicles transcends generational barriers. The HAMB is focused, no doubt. If it were not, it's whole purpose would evaporate. It's not a matter of exclusivity, everyone is invited, just respect what it's all about. And as far as the Starbucks thing, I don't drink anything from there and I love my gluten. If you called me a Yuppie to my face I might be inclined to smack you.:D Enjoy it for what it is, participate, keep trying to get your contemporaries involved.

Fender1325 likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've never seen your car... but the fact that it is a 4dr doesn't automatically make it suck... Points against for sure, but if you are into it, build it! Hell, a really well done and focused 4dr Cad Custom could be really great actually. Give it an early 50's custom vibe with all the details and make it a great long distance cruiser... I'd be into it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Fender1325

Fender1325

Just got married in it!

Attached Files:

9. 117harv

117harv

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I don't see what the problem is... That's a cool car.

11. Back in the early '70's I joined the N.S.R.A. and enjoyed attending a lot of rod runs, designed specifically for street rods (hated the term) pre 1949. If you had a '65 GTO you went to the street machine nationals. Now I see the thing is open to anything up to 1985. Sorry, I don't want to park my '32 Ford next to a 1983 Cutlass low rider that jumps around like a grasshopper. Anyone whose car doesn't fit within the HAMB boundaries has multiple options. Good on Ryan for keeping it as it was designed to be. Don't need girls in the Boy Scouts either!