Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Old28

Old28

Nice Shirts, may have to get a few.

2. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    The snow is gone. The drag strips have opened. I moved the dragster from the back garage to the front garage. Looks like I'll get to the strip much earlier this year. Usually it's around the end of July.

Maile d my registration in for the HAMB Drags today. Really looking forward to running at MoKan and watching all the HAMB members run.

Today I made this pointer and scale to zero in on ignition timing. Easier than trying to see a timing light in the bright sun. It won't tell me actual timing but I can work from a base line and move in the direction that provides improved performance.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Old28

Old28

That is dam sweet. You must not sleep real well with your head spinning out all these little tricks.
    When is the driveway burnout & test? Looking forward to pictures.

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Must say that's one advantage with the Dodge flathead 6, all you need is a dial indicator to get it right. ;)

"Remove 1/8" pipe plug over No. 6 cylinder for timing gauge, Use Piston-travel Gauge -- Breaker contacts to open .028" (piston travel) before top dead center. Manual spark control in full advanced position."

Attached Files:

5. bobw

bobw

I wanted to let you know I had a stroke Tuesday noon. I knew what was happening and got to a hospital quickly. By Thursday afternoon I was home. Wednesday I couldn't speak clearly and was weak on the left side. It all resolved Thursday and I have no ill effects remaining. W ent home with xome new prescriptions and a new resolve to a healthier lifestyle

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  6. bobw,
    Glad to hear your ok, Take care Sir!

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Scary stuff. Glad to hear you came through OK. Stay healthy and take care of yourself. Keeping you in our thoughts.

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Good to hear you came through OK.
    Does that healthier lifestyle still include some drag racing? Yes? :cool:

9. bobw

bobw

Vrooom! Vroom! by God it sure does. this weekend is out of reason because of wet weather and and a little more recovery time. I hope you all have a great time at Eagle Fild.

10. bobw

bobw

Vroom Vroom! It sure does. Not this weekend though cuz it's wet and I need a little more recovery time.
    Hey Tom, I have manual ignition timing too (locked distributor with cable operated advance/retard to ease starting).

I hope you all have a great time at Eagle Field.

A very heartfelt "thank you" to everyone that responded. I dodged a bullet this time.

11. old sparks

old sparks

Sorry to hear about your situation, but it sounds like it`s going to work out well. It seems like us old farts are not quite as indestructible as we used to be. You mentioned your manual retard. Do you have it also connected to your shifter? As far as rain, I live about 70 miles from eagle field and it`s still raining . we`ve gotten over .5 inch in the last 24 hours. We need the rain but mud tires might be more appropriate.

loudbang likes this.
  12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Continued good health Bob.

13. loudbang

loudbang

Well luck appeared for you at just the right time but luck was helped by you understanding what was going on and getting help right away. Great thinking.

14. bobw

bobw

e[​IMG]
    One night while I was abed the great fairy came to me and whispered in my ear, "traction". Next morning I scoured Craigslist and spotted a pair of 8.5 by 26 Mickey's. Got them for the dragster. I hope I didn't violate anyone's sensibilities.

ALSO, does anyone know if Moon discs, the screw on kind, are NHRA legal?

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  15. Old28

Old28

Those slicks look real nice and there are no other SDRA cars in your area to run with street tires. Your just bracket racing, GO HAVE SOME FUN :):cool::eek:
    As far as know you can run them, but must be screwed on to race. Will need to remove for tec so they can see your axle studs & nuts for length.
    Did you get by P.M. on the 2 roadster? No rush !!!!!!!! Got to get more eye improvement first.

16. bobw

bobw

Thanks, Tom. Yes I tried to PM you. Every time I would screw it up and it wouldn't get sent. I guess strokes do that to a guy. Will try again later.

You are right, Just test & tune. Might as well eliminate traction from the list of problems. BTW, was driving a roadster in the pouring rain yesterday.

Five minutes to type this. Fumble fingers.

17. Old28

Old28

Thanks Bob, you may want to send pictures & information through my regular email, some times the HAMB system is hard to work with. I'm with you about the strokes, takes me three times longer to type this stuff up and I have to read it two or three times to find mistakes before I send it.

The good news for the week is that we just excepted an offer on our Bakersfield house and it will close on July 1, 2015. We should be moved over to the coast by mid August. This is a move I have wanted to make for years and with my medical junk I want my wife (Dixie) down in Camarillo/Ventura area with long time close friends and our daughter. All we can do now is hope it all goes smooth. Take care of yourself. Tom

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I do not think wheel covers of any kind are NHRA acceptable.

19. let me check my rulebook in the morning, I saw a guy with an old school altered this weekend at Bakersfield that had Moon discs on the front.

20. Old28

Old28

We got 3 or 4 guys that run them at Bakersfield all the time. NHRA Tech wants them off during tech so they can see lug nuts & studs and they must be screwed on.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

22. bobw

bobw

c[​IMG]
    Sandblasted, painted cast iron grey, mounted , balanced and installed. Got some Moon discs in the garage attic. Next Sat is T'nT

23. Old28

Old28

Slicks look real nice on the rear and will be old school with the Moon Disc covers. Best of luck at the T&T next Saturday. Get use a picture of the full car if you have time with the slicks & Moon covers.

24. Old28

Old28

Bob, any luck sending pictures of the two open wheel roadsters? Attaching pictures to an email is easyer than the HAMB most of the time. Are you ready for some fast SDRA T&T next Saturday?

25. Old28

Old28

Is this T&T weekend for the dragster?
    Is the weather going to co-operate?
    Best of luck for a SAFE & SMOOTH test

26. bobw

bobw

Tom, I spent all day putting belts in and making minor improvements in the car. Gathered all the tools, supplies and fuel. Unforunately it rained all day and I wasn't able to load the car on the trailer. Also, I believe the little medical misshap did more to me than I initially thought. I tire easily. And other trhings So, I'm not going to make it. Be assured I'll be ready in two weeks, weather permitting.

27. Old28

Old28

I sent you a PM. Check it out. Tom

28. bobw

bobw

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3333&highlight=chrysler&page=4
    Tom, here's the pic of the tub you requested. Now has a 406 sbc in it.

Today turned out dry and partly cloudy. Low 40's this morning. I didn't have the energy to get up early and load everything up. Next Sat. at the 1/8 mile is TnT. I'll be there, weather permiting. BTW, I did some short shots up the driveway this morning. The slicks didn't smoke but did leave long marks in the blacktop

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  29. Old28

Old28

Nothing like a fun day of driveway T & T. With the torque that 300 has and minimum weight on the rear, you should have some big slick prints. Let's hope for better weather next week. Thanks for the tub information.

30. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I made the two hour trek west to a 1/8 th mile track for Test and Tune today. The car worked quite well once I got the hang of it. No tire spin with the slicks. Gonna have to add a tach so I know if I'm over revving the thing. My best was a 7.87 @ 91.52 mph. Reaction time of.189, 60 foot 1.863 seconds. Quarter mile equivalent is 12.36 @113.48 mph.
    I didn't do any tuning. That's for next time. Hoping I can find .36 seconds in the tune up. I didn't take a pic of my car but here's an ear splitting contraption for your viewing pleasure.