Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mig welder question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by markoxpollo, May 29, 2015.

1. markoxpollo

markoxpollo
    from Indiana

2. Spend more money and get a name brand unit.... And get one equipped with gas; flux-core welds are uuugly....

Hnstray likes this.
  3. I got my Miller used at a pawn shop and couldn't be happier. I hear the HF units are hard to get parts for. And for sure, no flux core.

4. aaggie

aaggie

Try to find a used Lincoln 175 or Miller equivilent with a gas bottle.

seadog likes this.

5. If all you are going to do is weld the frame, then yes that welder would work. That said, why not get a friend to weld it for you? If on the other hand you intend to do more welding in the future, buy as suggested above.

6. x2.
    If you can't afford a new brand name (Lincoln or Miller) MIG, look for a used one on your local Craigslist.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. Do as all above have said.You will learn more and not be pissed off with a quality machine.

8. RiffTannen

RiffTannen
    from Chicago

I have a Millermatic 211 and love it. Hobarts and Lincolins are good, pretty much the same. Id search Craigslist. Stay away from Harbor Freight Chinese junk. I'll buy rubber gloves there and that's about it. Sometimes I'll get an HF HVLP gun to paint with and just throw it away when I'm done instead of cleaning it.

pat59 likes this.
  9. dcs13

dcs13

Get a brand name welder. If you were closer, I'd be glad to help you out and weld it. I'm a Miller guy. Have a 210 with spoolmate and I bought a 140 for sheet metal..

10. X3 on the above. I finally bought a Hobart Handler 190 a couple of years ago from Tractor Supply at a nice discount and last year got a gas bottle. Oh, wow, does it make a difference! Millers and Lincolns are the gold standard, though, so get to know your local welding shops and check out pawn shops. Used bargains are out there.

11. Custompainter99

Custompainter99
    from San Jose

Look at northern tool. I bought a Hobart mig welder from them.. Works awesome.

12. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Definitely buy a better quality machine. I have a Lincoln that uses gas or flux core and I switch the wire depending on what thickness of metal I am welding. The flux core weld isn't as nice looking but it penetrates better on thicker metals. One you get one and get used to it you will love it.

13. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Well someone tried to GIVE me a brand new HF mig , I told him naah , after having a snap on lower model mig , I just couldn't go backwards , I'm waiting until I can get another "quality" unit . My 2 cents

14. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Everybody is telling you right. The other thing is once you get a good quality welder & learn to use it, its like a whole new world opens up to you. You'll find like a million things you can make or fix that you couldn't before & you'll wonder how you ever got along without one. thanks.

15. The only good thing to take out of Harbor Freight is the cash register

prewarcars4me and 46Steel like this.
  16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

I've got the HF 90 amp. It's a toy with limited usefulness. If your budget is around $300, go used or go with a new Lincoln or Hobart.

Have you considered a stick welder?

17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

As all of the others stated, buy a name brand one either Lincoln, Miller or Hobart (Hobart is owned by Miller). I have a Lincoln mig I bought in 1997 and have never had a problem with it, and I've run a number of those large spools of wire through it.

18. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Never buy anything from HF that you have to plug into electric wall sockets.

19. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Well I don't know about that, there is this cashier ,we call her Camel Toe ,oh never mind:rolleyes:

Hnstray and prewarcars4me like this.
  20. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't live without my Hobart 187, though I'm thinking of selling it for the new Hobart 190 package that comes with a Miller spool gun to weld aluminum. Search the web. I think Cyberweld has it. It's probably more than you are wanting to spend, but it's a smoking deal for what you get!

Buying something like a welder from HF is like lighting money on fire. JMHO

21. If you are going to buy a welder, get a name brand.

Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart (Millers cheeper brand but still good)

22. For almost 15 years I struggled with a 115 volt Solar Mig welder, a hand me down from a retired body man.
    He told me it was recently overhauled before he gave it to me.
    It got the job done on sheet metal but frame work was very tough, not trustworthy looking results.
    My welds always looked amateur,

3 years ago I bought a Millermatic 211. It was the best $1170 bucks I ever spent for a garage tool.
    Professional welders even compliment me on my welds now. If the metal is ground super clean and I use the 230 volt option on it I can burn thru metal with confidence and be proud, finally, of my limited welding ability.

Save your money and buy one like mine and it will serve you well for a life time.

23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Lincoln has a new stick/ mig / lift arrived tig. For $999.00 I know it's a little high but you will have all three in one. Check Jody on WeldingTipsandTricks.com He has some good tips and tries all different welders out and is honest about it. He is down to earth hands on and he tells you what works, more down and dirty and not the theory instructor type. He is the best, his weekly videos are part of required watching in a couple of the junior college in our area. I know one of the instructors at the local Jr. College personally for 45 years and he was a under water welder in the Navy he can weld anything, and has his students watch his weekly videos. Just food for thought. Frank

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Good advice from all. I had one of the China cheapies, it was fair on small stuff, but no comparison to my Lincoln Handy Mig. The China special was jumpy and jerky, and would birdnest the wire in a heartbeat. Happy it got stolen! The Lincoln is a much better machine. I haven't gotten around to getting a bottle yet, but have ran three or four spools of flux core through it without any problems. I bought mine from Sears online, can't remember now what I paid, but it was cheaper through them than anybody else at the time.

25. evintho

evintho

26. Scott

Scott

27. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Don't waste your money on the HF, or any other cheapie, welder! I'm a welder by trade, all day everyday. I've used the HF unit and a couple other Chinese off brands that friends bought and they are garbage and frustrating to set.

Used name brand welders are all over Craigslist, you'll have a much easier time with a miller(I'm a miller guy) or Lincoln welder.

28. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

buy once cry once
    miller here too

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. morac41

morac41

Hi Get your self a stick welder to do your chassis work people give them away these days We have 240v here and I would still never use a mig for chassis..Tig is the Pro way to go if you can afford it .... I personally dont use it any more because of the cost of the gas (argon) and the consumables tips-wire-ect nobody wants to pay.....