Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest CUBA ~ Any decent cars left?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, May 28, 2015.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

Saw a picture of a 40/41 Willy's coupe, a 53 or 54 vette, and a couple interesting videos, one about drag racing in Cuba, and one on a Cuban car club excursion. Just on google searches.

2. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Having been there, traveled the whole country looking for and enjoying their cars. Yes I rode in a 56 Buick with Lada steering column , engine and gearbox, that shuttered like hell.Alot of the cars are full of bondo!The government was buying all the old cars and turning them into taxis, for the tourists in Havana, and was paying above average money for them.They have regular car meets in Havana in the square,It's also the best place to rent a classic with driver for the day. Johnny

3. jazz1

jazz1

I was in Cuba first in'89 and saw lots of classic old cars,,mostly 4 doors. We knew there was a shortage of available parts seeing some of them being repaired along the roadside as well as what we saw under the hood. Sure as heck did not see anyone going full throttle down a washboard road.. Since there were no cars to import owners took care of these buggies like they were bringing them to the afterlife.

4. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Carlos lago from motortrend is Cuban, and visited the island and drove some cars and checked out a Cuban speed shop. There is also a special edition of motortrend classic with his article and pictures about the hot rod and drag racing scene in Cuba. I'm packing to move and not keeping my newer magazines, I can try to scan it and email it to you or something if I can find the box I put it in.

autobilly likes this.
  5. Hemingway ambulance! Zapata Mercedes?
    How about the Robert Johnson Ford - I've seen it in a museum...
    HA, HA!

6. LOL I just couldn't resist. :D :D

7. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

If you want to see pictures of cuban cars go to facebook and type in carros clasico de cuba.

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm afraid the Cubans will get some money and want to buy our cars!

9. pontman

pontman

The coast guard sinks these after getting all the people out. Deemed not worthy to brought ashore.

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks guys. Very interesting

11. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I'd love to go to Cuba. Not for the cars but to meet the people, the climate, experience the culture and partake of the food.
    A friend of mine bought a DVD about the cars of Cuba. How the people through necessity bonded their own brake shoes, fabricated their own trim, engine swaps in American cars with Russian engines. It told of one guy that made his own trim for his 59 Cadillac and was so good that he started his own business. Wish I could remember the name of the DVD because it was really entertaining.

12. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

BBkEc3J.jpg
    This is a recent pic....I'd save either one.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Geez the buildings look as bad as the cars. Shows what happens when y0u turn everything over to the government.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No politics, please.

15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Just in case you missed this... There are hotrodders there!

16. I was in Cuba last year and being a car tragic I have hundreds of photos f their old and newer cars.
    At no time did Cuba stop importing cars from all over the world (the USA excepted, but contrary to popular belief America isn't the rest of the world) with Korean and Chinese cars predominating.

As for parts for their old US cars they came from the US via Mexico, Jamaica or Panama etc. Sure non essential parts were substituted but they didn't run leather brake linings and many of their restored vehicles would put many a HAMB Members efforts to shame.

the reason Cuba is rundown is its economy revolved around Sugar and cigars. both products have struggled over the last 40 years.