Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage steel in motion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old skool, May 20, 2015.

1. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Did anyone get some pictures of a little red four banger roadster on the strip at Steel in Motion 2015? It had a number "6" on the side.

Thanks,
    Marty

2. Thumpr455

Thumpr455

Marty,

Yes, I got a photo of that car on track. The picture isn't a work of art, but it's a good action shot. It's attached.

Thumpr455 2015-5-16 Steel_1898 Red roadster Banger 4_Fl.jpg

3. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Man you made my day! That's a great shot! There is a whole story about this car (that almost didn't happen). This was my first Hot Rod I ever built. Almost gave up an number of times because of money and other set backs in life. It was also my first time I ever entered a car show. First time to see a drag race.
    Here's what happened that day. I didn't think a guy like me was allowed to run. I thought it was for the "big dogs". I was filming the event at the starting line with my car in the far lane. Wanting so badly to see what my new motor could do. I think one of the event organizers saw the "sparkle in my eye". He yelled out "Get in line!!". At first, I looked around. Surely he wasn't talking to me? I froze and thought about it. He must have asked three times. "I can't" and making every rational reason why I couldn't. My friend next to me was stoking the fire!"Do it!!!" Keep in mind I haven't driven a stick shift in a number of years and this was the first time this "jalopy" was out. I was still working out some bugs. After some thought, I figured no time like the present! By they way I will have a helmet next time. I didn't bring one because I had no intention of running. Before I knew what was going on I am on the track! A million things were going through my mind. Had some nice compliments on car by the pit crew. My stomach turning and my heart racing. I couldn't believe I was there gazing down the track! When she dropped that flag, I gave it everything I had. Now, I had "hopped up" the motor a good bit. I had an old military SW speedometer on the dash. It topped out at 60mph. I figured my four banger wouldn't go any faster. Next thing my friend screams out your above 60! Sure enough I looked down and the speedometer was "maxed out". I couldn't believe it! What a rush. Here's the parts that sucks. It all happened in a "wink of an eye" and I didn't know I would be on the track, so I didn't have anyone to take pictures and capture the moment. I will never forget it. Great event! Now I just need to get a helmet and make it go faster for next year!! You are looking at a new born Hot Rodder. My Dad was a "Gasser" back in the 60's. I got a small taste what my father did when he was young. I am 45 years old and felt 20 years younger. I can't remember the man's name that encouraged me to go on the track, but he really gave me a moment in life I will always remember.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  4. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

You certainly picked a heck of a first race to go to :D

Thumpr455 likes this.

5. Man love the car! You could probably hit The Race Of Gentlemen with that! Where in Ga are ya ?

6. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Near Savannah. There are two places I would like to attend The Race of Gentlemen and The Jalopy Showdown. Great "four banger" events! Only watched video clips never been there in person.

Anybody from The Race of Gentleman watching? Would it pass inspection?:D HINT HINT

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. Thumpr455

Thumpr455

old skool,

I searched through the way-too-many photos I shot at Steel in Motion and came up with two more of your car No. 6. These are closer shots of you pulling onto the strip for another run. Nice headgear!

Thumpr455 2015-5-16 Steel_1227 Banger No 6_Fl.jpg 2015-5-16 Steel_1228 Banger No 6_Fl.jpg

8. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Great! Thanks! I call the car "Kilroy" and put it on the cowl. Found two photos from the 1940s where vets were painting that on their hot rods. Took the image from a WWII photo and made a stencil out of it. If you don't know who Kilroy is, look it up on the web. That's your history lesson for the day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  9. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

KILROY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IMG_4619.JPG IMG_4620.JPG IMG_4622.JPG

elgringo71 likes this.