Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 styleline 4 door build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ugleded, Apr 22, 2014.

1. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

Hey guys I been working on this project almost 6 months now. The first few months were focused on the haggling for a good deal....scored it for $1200 that I get to pay off while I get it going. I got pics of the car posted in my introduction. Got the thing to pop off with the help of my uncle and a stash of nos A/C spark plugs. I consider myself a J.O.A.T.{jack of all trades} so nobody gets to touch this car but me. Scored a very good gas tank and trim from a local Hamber (thanks miky2001) for $150!!!! First thing I rebuilt were wheel cylinders, wrote a paper on that for my Tech writing course that got a 92, then ran new brake lines. New master cylinder was retro-fitted with help from the Hamb also. New fuel lines were bent from the pump to the tank, and filler neck hoses were replaced.

2. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

[​IMG]
    this is how she sat for about 7 yrs

3. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

here are pics of the tank installed as well as the brake master location and lines.

Attached Files:

4. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

I have a plan of action that includes getting it to stop first. Tune the engine and make sure it goes down the road safely. Get some more of that rust neutralized, then work on the interior. Last is to get the body work patched then the trim repaired. Will need some advice at every junction so guys please chime in.
    **pic of rust inhibitor**

Attached Files:

5. Love these cars, love the more doors.

6. 'Mo

'Mo

7. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

Yeah the old girl got some rust on the rockers that I will live with for now. That will give me an excuse to learn how to use and English wheel and bead roller cause the patch panels are kinda pricey. I am on a tight budget-like $0.15 trying to turn it to a dollar.

Basically doing research on adjusting the valves since I pulled the valve train out thinking the motor was frozen.....my dumbazz had the freaking thing in gear.

The 12 volt upgrade will be in the motions at the same time. All wiring looks good except where somebody patched into the coil. other than that planning on running with the stock wire for now. YES I did look and actually bend the wires thinking the cloth and coating would just crumble but it didn't so imma rock out with it.

Anybody got a cheap visor (wish list) in/near HOUSTON???

8. speaks

speaks
    1. 4 door kustoms

That looks like a solid car to start with man! I have a '50 4 door I am also working on with a tight budget. I'm keen to follow your progress with this one.

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Keep that Permatex chemical away from anything shiny - it leaves a mark.

10. v8juice

v8juice

Looks like a really cool car

11. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

x2 on that one!

12. cmarcus

cmarcus

The 4 Door Styline club! Welcome! I'll be watchin'!

Somebody likes this.
  13. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Looks like a good start, nice and straight.

14. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

Thanks guys for looking at my thread....not to get ahead of my plans but the interior has me not even opening the door. Is there anyway to get around paying 2 grand for a new interior?? not a lot of threads on here that cover that process... I did see a good video on youtube about the headliner!

15. 'Mo

'Mo

16. Luckyred53

Luckyred53

looking forward to watch your build .....

17. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

Thanks for the interior link!! I'm gonna do a lot of reading tonight

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

just got a little inspiration from the LONE STAR DELUXE CAR SHOW!!!!! Also realized how far I am from the skills of these owners. My car might not be the leader of the pack but I will do what I can to have it running with the big dogs. Until then she'll stay on the porch

19. Koryb

Koryb

I just subscribed look FWD to watching your build, I have a 52 Fleetline deluxe 4 dr that I will be starting on soon, mine was sitting in a field since 1972 so I got my fair share of rust, but not too bad.

20. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

looking for a valve cover now, started under the hood getting things together....... can not believe how rust eats at things protected under the hood.

Attached Files:

21. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

My goodness glad to see the new site!! Was about to go crazy not being able to research my ideas;):)

22. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

Wouldn't this make a kool tank??!!

Attached Files:

23. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

New fuel lines are connected to tank and fuel pump. Time to rebuild the carb:(

24. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

hit a wall......my truck went down so that's been my main focus. Still gathering parts for the 12volt conversion( alternator, coil, and battery)
    Sucks how stuff goes wrong whenever I try to make progress. This Texas heat been getting to me.... I basically work on the cars in the sun all the time.
    Progress is stop and go but inches can eventually make miles

25. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

Almost a yr has passed and all I've done is remove front seats, fab an alternator bracket and move the car 4 freaking times!!!

Looking for some folks in Houston area to swap/buy parts. I really want to drive this car this yr and need those 3.55 ring and pinion gears. Had a drop on them for $200 but when I checked them out I told the guy what he had was a hot ticket. Week later and "sold it my friend" but that's my luck.

26. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

Happy belated New Year!!! The internet has been a bit of a help so far. Found some pics and interesting topics for my power steering conversion. Thinking the Astro van gear box will be the best way to go. Found some interesting welding rods that should let me join the donor pitman arm to my original. Junkyard here I come!!!

27. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

Sbc350, 700r4, gbody rear axle, now it's time to build a work space. I lost the studs to the 216 rocker arm assembly so now I give up on the original route. Looking for the jag crossmember but pull ya part has not been helpful!!

28. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I know how frustrating it can be not being able to get to work on your project. I haven't been able to even touch mine For over a month. Baby steps! There was a jag front end for sale in the classifieds here the other day, I think in California though. Keep it going!

29. ugleded

ugleded
    from houston

Well I have been gathering parts, doing research, trying to graduate, saving pennies and dreaming big!!!
    Long block 400, 700r4, truck trailing arms and 81 Monte rearend. Gonna order engine mounts from eBay then go find the U bolts and spring pads for the rear next. Jag front is out for the stock front with disc conversion. Been reading V8 swap threads for weeks and have a general idea of what needs to be done but will be ready to lean on the HAMB for more information. Man this car has to be ready before graduation!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016