Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rich Gausco, Pure Hell, calls it quits!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gary Reynolds, May 21, 2015.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

That's one hellava drag racing career.

2. 296ardun

296ardun

Didn't Troy Cagle have Gary's ashes packed inside Pure Hell's parachute when Larry Huff was driving, distributed them at Bakersfield when Larry pulled the chute at around 240?

Rui likes this.
  3. @296ardun - You're correct! ... at the March Meet in 1994.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. fatkoop

fatkoop

I met and talked with Rich at Goodguys in Loveland, Co. a few years ago. Very personable and just seemed to be "normal". He doesn't know all the years I've idolized and respected him. A great lifetime of racing, street rods, AMBR winner, and a hands-on, one-of-us kind of person. It just don't get any better than that!

6. From the "Pure Hell Racing" Facebook page ...

Goodguys 2nd INDY Nationals - "Friday Night Drags" (June 5, 2015) at Lucas Oil Raceway - Indianapolis, IN:

Pure Hell Fuel Altered @ Goodguys INDY (1).jpg
    Pure Hell Fuel Altered @ Goodguys INDY (2).jpg
    images by Allen Tracy

Event one in the books. Ran a 6.27 at 218 off the trailer and Brian {Hope} clicked it at about 900 ft. Second run we had an issue with the injector, got it repaired and then spun the tires immediately. Car then made a hard move to the left and Brian was able to gather it back and ran a pedaling 7.47 at 213. All in all a good outing, great seeing the fans, and the shiny and paint are still on the car. Headed back to Rat Trap HQ for service, then off for West Virginia next Saturday night.​

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Dean Lowe likes this.
  7. Saturday night June 13th under the lights. Kanawha Valley Motorsports Park, West Virginia. Brian Hope in "Pure Hell" vs. his dad Ron Hope in the "Rat Trap":

June 13, 2015 event at  Kanawha Valley Motorsports Park, West Virginia.jpg

8. NOTE: The West Virginia event ^^^ was RAINED OUT! :(

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  9. The next stop on the "Pure Hell Farewell Tour" was the 13th annual National Hot Rod Reunion held at Beech Bend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, KY (June 18-20, 2015) ... Here's a few pics:

Rat Trap & Pure Hell burn-outs at NHRR Bowling Green (June 22 2015).jpg
    Pure Hell staging at NHRR Bowling Green (June 22 2015).jpg
    Goose backs up her dad at NHRR Bowling Green (June 22 2015).jpg
    Pure Hell staged at NHRR Bowling Green (June 22 2015).jpg
    ... and a video clip ...

kiwijeff and Dean Lowe like this.
  10. The "Pure Hell Farewell Tour" continued last weekend at the New England Hot Rod Reunion held at New England Raceway in Epping, NH (August 28-30, 2015) ... Here's a some pics:

Pure Hell in the pits at NEHRR (Aug 28, 2015).jpg
    Pure Hell in the pits at NEHRR (August 2015).jpg
    Pure Hell at NEHRR (August 2015).jpg
    Pure Hell at NEHRR (Aug 29, 2015) by Paul Malinowski.jpg
    Pure Hell at NEHRR - front (Aug 30, 2015).jpg
    Pure Hell at NEHRR - rear (Aug 30, 2015).jpg
    Pure Hell at NEHRR (Aug 30, 2015).jpg
    Pure Hell at NEHRR (Aug 30, 2015) by Dave Kommel.jpg

NOTE: On Sunday's last run, Pure Hell ran a crowd pleasing 6.51 @ 218 MPH to Rat Trap's 6.52 @ 206 MPH ... Here's a video clip (by @scoundrel1) ...

kiwijeff, TFoch and Dean Lowe like this.
  11. Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  12. Perhaps E.j. Kowalski (@scoundrel1) will post-up some of his excellent videos from last weekend ... ???

His video clips are simply awesome !!! ... especially the one from his GoPro mounted on the roll cage (i.e., a drivers view) ... and the one from his GoPro mounted on the right front (looking back at the engine) :D

UPDATE: Here's a few of them ...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was so happy to get to see Pure Hell run at at the New England Hot Rod Reunion. Love it.

HEMI32 likes this.
  14. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Glad to see the runs at Bowling Green last weekend, was Fun watching the car go down the track and see Rich tuning and wrenching in the pits. Did get a chance to talk to Rich in the pits and get an picture autographed! Joe

HEMI32 likes this.
  15. Here's yet another video from Goodguys Bowling Green event:

by Bill Huseth

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

There is only one "PURE HELL" that's for sure.

Great show always.
    Jimbo

HEMI32 likes this.
  17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Saw Pure Hell run the Rat Trap at GoodGuy's Bowling Green event...what an awesome sight...

R-

HEMI32 likes this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 7.34.08 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 7.34.18 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 7.28.57 PM.jpg One of my biggest heroes ever. Real nice man… Met Rich and his daughter at this past Autorama.
    Great man.Candyman got his pic with him.

oldsjoe, HEMI32 and ME.GASSER like this.
  19. SlamIam

SlamIam

My boys and I saw it run at CHRR - it has been a favorite ever since

20. The "Pure Hell Farewell Tour" came to a bittersweet conclusion last weekend at the California Hot Rod Reunion (held at Auto Club Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, CA ... Octiober 23-25, 2015).

Pure Hell came into Sunday in the #2 spot, but Randy Bradford bumped them out with a great 6.34 ET.

They ran next and got back in with a 6.33, and then had an agonizing wait to see if the Hough family's Nanook would bump them out again.

As they waited at the scoreboard, Nanook went by and posted a 6.35 ... so they returned to the pits and hopped it up to give the Sullivan Fiat a run for the final.

(Pure Hell pilot) Brian Hope did his job by leaving first, and both cars were side by side until the very end when the Sullivan car edged them out.

Here's a few videos:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  21. Rich is "officially" retired! :rolleyes: :D ...

Gausco\'s Retirement Ride.jpg

22. Couldn't run one more year???

Congrats on a successful exit!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I first saw him make a run in a smalltown dragstip in the Midwest in about 2009. When they announced his name, Me and my buddy and a few others were cheering like crazy. He arrived late(coming from Indy) to fill in a cancellation at the last minute. He then made a run and stole the show. A few hours later when they announced his name as he was about to enter the burnout box, every person in the grounds went crazy cheering. He stole the show that night and left an impression on everybody. Saw him run a few years later at Bakersfield at the Hot Rod Reunion. Put that show on your bucket list. I talked to him a little in the pits about that night. He asked if I wanted to buy an autographed picture of Pure Hell. I told him I`d rather have an Autographed picture of his Okland Show winning Roadster. I bet he didn`t expect that.