Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. thanks, i like the wrestler, i just needed the info.

all should start coming together now.

i always liked the color green, but it does not work on every car.
    page 22, post 646 shows a photo of the firewall when i first put it on. when my dad built it all of the firewall area was red, i painted it black and added the piece of aluminum. i remember going to the scrap yard and buying the sheet for $4, 1983.

2. pumpman

pumpman

AAAAH, the good old days. Wonder what they would hit you now a days?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

That green is going to look great...

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. i have not been to that scrap yard in a few years. back then the town had a lot of factories that would scrap all kinds of good stuff. it was run by a crotchety old guy, who carried a giant roll of cash, he could spot a small chunk of steel in with your copper or aluminum and adjust the price accordingly. i would back my pickup onto the scale, he would yell "don't get out". the noisy crane, operated by a guy wearing that weeks dirty clothes, swings the rickety boom over the bed of the truck and activates the magnet. the scrap is lifted away "awe right come in"
    i would go in he would pull out the wad "$16" and then peel off the money and hand it to me.
    "i need a piece of aluminum"
    "go out back and look" he said kindly but as i started walking out the back way "hey, get your truck off the scale i'm a running a business here"

i used the oem code they had a brand [global] that had a formula and another [deltron] that had an "alternate" formula . i ordered a small amount and did a sprout and the alternate was what my dad and cousin remembered.
    finished cleaning the firewall aluminum. DSCF3986.JPG

5. pumpman

pumpman

Great story, kinda had at the same experience when I was a kid. The firewall turned out really nice. Did you seal it?

6. all i did was wax it. what would i seal it with?

7. ... sealed with a kiss was how I reddit'. Looks good.

8. pumpman

pumpman

I know a couple of my friends who (unfortunately) are into billet and after they polish they clear coat it. Guess I should have said clear coat insisted of seal. No matter still looks really nice.

9. Could seal it with red paint!:p

10. the wax went on funny, some caranuba stuff i had. camera lens is dirty.

thanks! it will not bother me if it dulls out, as long as it doesn't get chalky.

i will the minute you put fenders on your cars

11. Fenders are for guitar players! :D

Runnin shine and TFoch like this.
  12. parts stored in spare bedroom.......notice my guitar in back ground?:):cool: DSCF3992.JPG
    "forget all about that macho shit......"

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. interesting, the four vent window mechanisms have parts numbers on them. the two on the left where from my car, the two on the right the pair i Bill sent me. they must have been stamped as they were being made, in right and left pairs consecutively . you would think they would make a bunch of right hand units then make lefts. i also took the "new" one apart to lube it and decided to just put the good gear in the original unit DSCF3988.JPG DSCF3989.JPG

14. Nice Frogs!:eek:

15. sanded a hood side tonight

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. sanded the rest of the hood, AND all four fenders, then started wet sanding the car AND then cleaned and positioned the parts for prime.
    man am i tired...... DSCF3996.JPG DSCF3997.JPG DSCF3998.JPG

bct, volvobrynk and TFoch like this.
  17. Bugguts

Bugguts

Just read the whole thing! Took awhile, but I needed a break and inspiration. Very cool car and how you are preserving it. Thanks for sharing!

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. thanks, glad your following.
    primer and guide coat on......all before my wife got her fat azz out of bed. DSCF3999.JPG

19. pumpman

pumpman

I hope the wife doesn't read your threads! You may be sending more time down there.

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  20. hah, she reads over my shoulder. she's my best friend.
    actually she is 5'4" and has never been 100 lbs........

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

IS IT GREEN YET??????? We were on the other side of the hill at Diner Luxe having breakfast and there wasn't any paint smell in the air.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  22. getting close!
    anyone have stock in paper and tape? your welcome. DSCF4001.JPG DSCF4002.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I just read through this whole thread, awesome story and great progress!!

24. Mikel50

Mikel50

Just finished reading this entire thread...good thing I was up at 5 ! What an incredible story and detailed build thread. The car looks beautiful. I can't wait to see it in paint.

25. thanks, got the sealer on by 7:00 am

thanks, color was on by 9:00 am and when it dries i will clear it.

26. Sprockmonster

Sprockmonster

Lookin' good....

P.s. Dont let aunt donna bully you too much

27. Mikel50

Mikel50

Looks like I tuned in at just the right time !

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Can't tell from the photo, are the fenders and hood being shot at the same time? Bob

29. Maybe he is not using the fenders or hood!:rolleyes:

Runnin shine likes this.
  30. Unlike a Ford we don't have to take the fenders off to make them go faster :p