Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spicer 41 rear?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nickk, May 23, 2015.

1. nickk

nickk

So I've got a little issue. Im running a rear end out of a 55-6 Ford, and from the information I've gathered, its called a spicer 41 which was ran in cars from 49-56. Well my problem is, instead of have straps to hold down the u-joint it has caps, well its suppose to. I think. I'm looking for whatever goes there, just went and looked at 4 cars in a junk yard from that time period and they was all missing so I had nothing to go by. Anyone know? or better yet know where I can some some?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A new U joint comes with those 'caps'. You may, or may not have a Spicer 41. They were used in '49/'51 Mercurys, maybe later......and on Ford and Merc Station Wagons and F1 Pickups. Later the pickups got Spicer 44 axles.

The way to tell is, does your rear axle have a removable tin cover on the rear of the housing? The standard Ford passenger axles used a drop out center section, with out a removable rear cover.

It isn't only the Spicer axles that used that rear U joint cap design. '49 up Fords did as well.

Ray

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are the holes in the u-joint yoke threaded, or are they smooth?

You either need:
    [​IMG]
    Or this:
    [​IMG]
    Those are the choices for most yokes:
    [​IMG]

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sorry Gimpy....I respectfully disagree. The '49 up to, maybe the mid '50s or so, uses a machined U-joint bearing cap with integral tabs. Bolts go through the U-joint tabs and thread into the pinion yoke.

Ray

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry I do not have a picture for you but, some of them had u joint caps with tabs on for the bolts to go through. Like my 1940 Pontiac had. Gary

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ray gets A+...It's called a Mechanic [or mechanical] u-joint...Should show up at Napa site..And those yokes that take that u-joint are not very strong..:rolleyes:

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Those are the choices for most yokes:"

Others:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JeffB2 likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The whole Spicer 41 is not particularly strong.

10. nickk

nickk

I should have mentioned the rear came out of a car, but no the holes aren't threaded , pictures coming soon! this rear doesn't have a inspection cover

11. nickk

nickk

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

okay..........so maybe it's the bearing caps that are threaded. :oops:

They do not use a nut and bolt to the best of my recollection......do they?:D

Ray

13. nickk

nickk

14. NORSON

NORSON

early Jeeps had 41's in the rear.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, I don't think that's a Spicer 41.

16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It is not a spicer diff. The Dana/spicer 41 looks like a Dana 44. Cast housing with a tin cover on the back no drop out center.

That is a 49-50 something Ford car rear axle, like out of a shoebox. By all reports not worth fooling with. Guys who own shoeboxes ditch them in favour of a nine inch Ford or something right off. Weak axles and hard to find parts.

17. nickk

nickk

Well the important part is I found that part, and I actually can get everything for that rear end at carquest, my car's motor isn't even making 150 hp so messing up this rear end shouldn't be a issue.

18. nickk

nickk

But it definitely came out of a 55-6 because I took it out, and the car had been sitting in the junk yard so long I'd doubt its rear has ever been changed.

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Yes it probably is the original out of the car. Trucks had the Spicer diff.

20. nickk

nickk

Cool deal! I went with this rear mostly because it was free and I have a parts rear, but I wanted something earlier then a 9in, everyone has one, and back to mostly because this was free

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And easier to rebuild than a banjo too!

22. nickk

nickk

Yeah, I thought about running a banjo and had one converted to open drive but the gear was stock and low, like 4.11 or something and this rear has a 3.22, but I am running a t5 so either would have worked I reckon.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

What kind of car? Better be light. 3.22 overdrive and not much power is gonna be kinda gutless in something heavy.

24. Ford wagons and police specials had the dana axles under them....that 56 may have been a "P" code car with the dana axle. I've been told the P stands for persuit.
    My neighbor had a 56 two door sedan with that axle and after he sold it, I found some history on it...was a P-code car ordered by a local town's police dept. Funny thin is, the siren was never mounted [had bracket on core support] and the car was always used by office personnel for errands!
    In 57 ford went to the 9 inch and dana axles were no longer put in passenger cars.

JeffB2 likes this.
  25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I used a Dana 41 from a '49 Merc under the latest model A, used that same u joint. Also looks dorky as fuck, that tiny little rearend under the car.... Not worried about it breaking, it's got a Pinto/Ranger/Fuckstain 2.3 four banger that makes 100 ponies if I'm lucky!

26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Did you clowns even look at the diff pic? It is not a Dana diff. It is a Ford car axle.

Hnstray and gimpyshotrods like this.
  27. nickk

nickk

Its under a fenderless Model A coupe now, and I doubt highly it was a P code car, original red and white paint, it definitely was never used for a patrol car or anything

28. nickk

nickk

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Did you re drill the axles or are you running spacers?

Hnstray likes this.
  30. nickk

nickk

I have the adapters to change the lug pattern