Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

The Jet was just a really clean, really well appointed, nicely detailed build. The work impressed me greatly, as the phrase "Just plain pipe racks." was penned for cars like this. :cool:
    It was running in Hot Rod, so a bracket class. I didn't think to find out where they were from, but got the impression it was north of Bako, perhaps out of Cal though.

2. spanners

spanners

Like the ride along Dick. You don't get a second chance when missing a gear in these machines, makes it that much more interesting to me. Anyone can shove an auto into D for drag and mash the loud pedal and go.
    Sorry I was a bit slow responding, our area ( the Hunter Valley) was just about wiped off the map by a storm with cyclonic winds and flooding rain. No power for days, no internet for a week and blokes like Drewfus are still flooded in I think.

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I looked Hunter up, and it looks to be about an hour n/w of New Castle. Also looks to be up a weather funnel from the coast there. I hope y'all're none the worse for the wear, and not too out of pocket for it.

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies,

Barona was a gas, as always, but ......

Somehow I flubbed the GoPro this time, it ran properly, but didn't record anything on the little memory thingie. Kay shot some stuff with her phone, so I'll see if I can get any of that posted.

We got in 5 runs, with Kay getting in her first tree run ever. She was weak on the burn-out, but did a good job of staging, etc, and launched & hit the gears well. Barona's hairpin turn-around
    caught her up at the top end, but she finally got through it, and enjoyed their return road.

The Barona Antique meets're grudge, you get the white ticket when you win, and the yellow when you lose.
    I managed 2 whites and 2 yellows for the day
    . :)

The car ran better than it's driver, turning in mid eights all day, and was once again a hit with the pit crawlers. :cool:

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sounds good. I would have liked to have been there but all these family gatherings keep getting in the way of racing stuff. Really, really looking forward to Eagle Field! :)

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

That makes two of us. :cool:

8. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Make it four, I get two votes. :cool:

10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's just because you have the car that's finished and running.o_O

11. bobw

bobw

Me like videos. More! More!

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

We'll get y'all some more this weekend. Eagle Field, one night & two day meets, flag start, lotsa HAMBsters, good friends, fun racing. HELL, YES! :cool:

13. spanners

spanners

Good to hear. Sounds like a very enjoyable weekend.
    We've got the Tamworth Drag racing club weekend at Gunnedah. I haven't raced since 23rd March so am really looking forward to it. Maybe we might even get Drewfus up there! (Hint, hint)

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'll be thinking of ya ...... between rounds, of course. :D

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later. :(

After 7 years I finally dropped the crank into the pan on the fifth run Saturday. Due to track set-backs we only got in 3 runs in the morning session, and due to windowing the block, only 2 in the evening session. Needless to say, Sunday was a wash for us.

I have vids of the 5 runs (including the truncated one) but am learning a new video program, so will post'em up soon as I figure out how.

Near as I can make it from the evidence, the crank gave it up close to the rear main, poked out the starboard side right at the pan lip level, and settled in the pan with the nose & sprocket still hanging in the timing chain, inside the untouched timing cover. That should mean that the cam & valve train'er unmolested, and the head's OK as well. Or so I'm hoping. :)

The flywheel and rear main're still in place such that you can move the car with the starter easily, but the damper's tilted back around 10* (with the belt still in place). You get a nice view of #3 main through the window, with the angle of it suggesting the nose high attitude, but the pan lip's not bent beyond salvaging.

No time to dig into'er 'til next week or better, but will document'er when I do. "Film at eleven.", and all that. ;)

Looks like I'll be moving that new short block up the list a bit, eh? :rolleyes:

Hope to have'er back among the living by ANRA II & Forever Four's Antique meet.

Here's a shot from the field, that Sam took, along with his repair suggestion. :D

11070272_962521497106056_248967764647989203_n.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  16. bobw

bobw

Holy Block, Batman! Good thing you've got one waiting in the wings. Has tech at Fomoso said anything about engine diapers on the cars?

17. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

So far they're only recommending'em for our stuff. I'm not sure what ET does require'em.

18. Old28

Old28

I think it is 9.99 ET & Quicker for 1/4 mile, don't know the 1/8 ET number.

19. spanners

spanners

Looks like the mice wanted to get outside and breathe the fresh air.

20. ouch, might need a few cable-ties and tek screws for good measure.
    Sorry to hear about crank/block, but glad to hear it wasn't worse, or any personal injuries, especially since that would have been quite a rumble going on next to your arm, certainly would have scared the crap out of me.

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Thank you, Gentlemen. I'm slowly working out/learning the new video program, and should have something up early next week.

I have the GoPro video of the "breaking" run. Everything stayed in the pan except for one piece of block sidewall which must've made the sparks on the strip that Kleet saw.

At about 5000 in second there was a clank, a bit of vibration, then nothing. I cleared the gears & switches, and let'er roll, as there was no oil coming out. Finally drove'er off the side near the end, in case she tried to lock up at lower speed.
    James hooked me up and towed me back to the pits, then went back for Carl.

Initially I thought I'd broken the gears, but back in the pits when we tried the start'er in gear, she moved properly. It wasn't 'til we turned'er over again and saw the balancer not moving that we put it together. Then we also noted that the balancer was tilted back about 10*, and finally spotted the #3 main through the hole, naked & down in the pan.

Soon as I get my customers caught up I'll roll'er down to the garage, and dig into'er. I should have some details early next week.

23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

"I broked it." update ......

DSC00002.JPG

I drove'er down to the garage on the starter motor, and started the exploratory.
    Here're some shots of the ongoing diddle.
    Looks like I lucked out on the head & valves, but the block's soul has left the building. :rolleyes:

24. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

It looks like a few replacement parts may be needed.

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

You're gonna need a couple more tubes of J.B. Weld to repair that. o_O

26. Old28

Old28

J B Weld - Cast Steels Best Friend :eek: Glad you are fine, blocks can be replaced, driver parts much harder. Stay safe. :cool:

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

28. spanners

spanners

That's an interesting way to ventilate a block. I assume the piston broke when the crank dropped?
    I like you videos , especially showing the gear changing. I might reposition my camera so that I can see what I'm doing. You're using a GoPro aren't you? I'm using a Sony action cam with an external microphone because there's too much wind noise using the inbuilt microphone.

29. bobw

bobw

I enjoyed the videos, except the last one. Eagle field sure looks like a special place.

I asked this question on another thread and perhaps you didn't see it. What steering box did you use in Cassie?

30. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, Spanners, next time I think I'll just use rocker box vents like everyone else. :D
    I have the cheap GoPro, the Hero3. It does fine for what I need.

Bob, I saw your other post, but I hadn't had the time to pull the tarp on the roadster to see if there's a brand name on it. There isn't, but as I recall it was either a Ford or Chevy box from a late '50s pick-up (I think Chevy). It was originally mounted with the shaft & ears vertical (bolted to the side of the frame rail), and the arm horizontal. I reversed the gears and mounted the shaft horizontal, with the arm vertical & down.