Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods selling engine question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ned5049, May 23, 2015.

1. ned5049

ned5049

I have a question to you guys about selling an engine. I recently got into a pissing contest with buyer of a flathead engine. It was complete with engine,bell and trans. He wanted just the engine and insisted on getting the flywheel, less clutch, with it. I wanted to keep the flywheel with the clutch ass'y. What would you do in this situation?

2. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

Do what you want, it's your stuff. If the guy didn't like your terms, then he doesn't have to buy it.....just saying

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

flywheel is balenced to the engine, should stay with it. Did the buyer pecker you on the price and then wants extras?. Lifes too short and unless the clutch package is new or something special, give it to him, it will keep you from tripping over it in the shop

4. town sedan

town sedan

Your parts your rules. Once made a guy buy a complete parts car. All he wanted was the glass (it was all in good shape), but I wasn't asking that much and wanted the car gone.

I'd separate out everything out I didn't want to sell, or keep individual parts/components separated from other components just to make things simpler. Comes down to how bad do you want to sell and how big of a expletive the buyer is. Bigger dic..., bigger $?

Just my 2 cents. -Dave

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Agreed : YOUR STUFF/YOUR RULES!!! Some negotiation is an expected option, but if the 'buyer' is being a 'd##k', he has shoes, let him walk!!

6. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The flywheel should definitely be sold together with the engine for the exact reason quoted above.

Sure, it's your stuff and being the seller you make the rules.

But you need to try to see things the way your potential buyers see it sometimes, otherwise you may have a hard time selling your stuff.

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If he wants it bad enough, he'll pay. He can sell the stuff he doesn't need himself.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

To me: if you have to split it, clutch goes with the trans and bellhousing!
    By not splitting would be the best deal for you, but why do you want too split it up?

Pony up or go home!

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

keep it together and find another buyer.

10. 327Eric

327Eric

You own it. Sell what you are selling. If he doesn't want what you are offering or asking, next.I just had a similar situation on a 427 I sold. Guy wanted all the accessories. After talking a few minutes, we agreed in a price with the accessories, for a bit more than my minimum. Had a deal on an old Ford truck go south because they didn't like my terms, so I told the dude to pound sand, but that is just me.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  11. belair

belair

Let him buy the engine less the flywheel. Then, after he finds out he needs that particular flywheel, sell it to him at a non-negotiable price.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Engine as it sits, with accessories - $500

Engine the way he wants it, with parts removed, - $600

Or, adjust prices to suit yourself. If he doesn't like it tell him to go away.

When I get one of these gleeps I tell him to beat it, get off my property. Have not had to physically manhandle anyone yet but have come close. Tell them to go away 3 or 4 times and they get the message.

Of course it depends how bad you want to sell it, or how bad you need the money. In that case the customer is always right. Sell him what he wants, at a fair price.

Lucky for me I am now rich enough I don't have to fool around for a few dollars or a few hundred. I can be a total *hole if I feel like it.

13. ned5049

ned5049

Thank you for all of your replies. I did let it go with the engine. Afterwards I thought about it and it would make sense to include the flywheel. It is the correct one. Keep it in mind when dealing on the price. It just threw me at that moment. I did get a good price for the engine. I wanted other people's opinion. The bell and tranny were both sold later. Thanks again.