Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Leaf spring centerbolt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52 csb, May 22, 2015.

1. 52 csb

52 csb

hi guys I am replacing the stock rear springs in the 52 coupe with shop springs. Since I am replacing stock axle with an 8.5 I am told I need to position the axle differently to be centered in wheel opening.. Where from stock should the center bolt be. Somebody has done it Jim

2. aaggie

aaggie

I'm taking a wild guess and say it's a '52 Chevy coupe. If it is then you need to move it back 1 1/2". The original torque tube drive had the spring perch with the hole offset so the axle could rotate.

3. oldolds

oldolds

Usually 1.5-2 inches. It depends on how low your car sits and tire size ect. Clamp your new rear on the old springs and size it up. I thought it was forward. I could be wrong.

4. verde742

verde742

I remember it being BACK,,,

just pilin' on...

5. If you're replacing both the springs and axle, I'd put the springs in then lay the axle on them and position it to where it looks right. Then measure for the holes.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you have good traction and plenty of motor you might want to weld a tab on the front of the spring perch and clamp it around the spring. I had 48 1/2 ton with a 400 Pontiac it would flex the spring enough that the relocated hole in perch would come up off the center bolt and move until we clamped it.

7. 52 csb

52 csb

thanks and yes its a 52 chev coupe,, The body is in the shop and chassis is I my basement.. lol I would like for spring shop to punch leafs and assemble them .. One more item to cross off . 400 to go jim