Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scott injection nozzles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blindowl, May 5, 2015.

1. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Hey guys , does anyone know if Scott made the injection nozzles or did they buy them from another company.
    Is there a company out there that still has them or similar ones . Thanks

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430831407.624294.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430831434.647666.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

Don't know the answer to your question, but would like to know more about the Scott injection history and use. It looks like they are mounted on the standard Stromberg style throttle bodies.

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Thats a barrel valve, by rotating the shaft, a larger opening is uncovered to deliver more fuel.
    That one is machined out of a bulk-head T fitting. the fuel inlet is on the right. The internal piece is prob machined from brass and solid where the arm is attached and hollow on the other end with a slot cut in the middle for fuel delivery. The arm end with the nuts contain the o-ring to seal the shaft. To make that system work you would have to use their style of pump because a standard positive displacement will not work unless you had some sort of fuel bypass to reduce pressure while maintaining fuel volume.

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Dreracecar... that was the whole premise of Scott injection.. you dont need an expensive flow rated pump. I too would love to learn more

5. SimonSez

SimonSez

These are definitely cool - I have been interested in them since a friend of mine was lucky enough to score a 3x2 manifold with two of these on it and a regular 97 in the middle with progressive linkage so it could be driven on the street on the centre carb only.

There is a chapter in the book Merchants of Speed on Mel Scott that has some history and details on Scott injection as well.

Some other info ...

This page shows a home-made copy of the 97 injection that someone made a couple of years ago ...
    http://rocketengco.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/scott-fuel-injection.html

This thread showed a page from an old catalog that has some details on the fuel pressure requirements for these.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-very-first-scott-fuel-injection-catalog.563637/

[​IMG]

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

btw, I have read that scott used 97 jets as the actual nozzle

7. Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Reisinger Custom likes this.
  8. SimonSez

SimonSez

Their web site says they are reproducing the Scott Super Slot injection for a 6/71 blower, but doesn't say anything about the 97 style injection.

http://www.scottinjection.com/

9. Check the February 1960 edition of Hot Rod magazine. Article on fuel injection that covers these things, read it the other day. Maybe I can scan it, though I don't know if it would really be much use.

10. I have a few Scott 97's injectors and can take some pictures of the original nozzle's if you'd like.
    All of mine have straight velocity stacks, I've never seen a set as yours with angled stacks " modification" ?
    ---Dean

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  11. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Pro-Mac, please take as many pictures as you can!! the only twin tube straight stacks I've seen have been the "scott tops" for 97's

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The legendary Chic Cannon stocked the Scott injectors in his Santa Clara speed shop in '55. The #97 types had no 'stacks', he ran them 'open' at the bores, (2 Scott injectors on a 3 jugger, one Stromberg 97 in the center)
    He and Eric Bracker were researching different fuel pumps, vaguely remember them discussing 'positive displacement' vs. centrifugal bypass...(I was 12, and devouring any info that was 'lying around'...)
    Outside the box tech for the time...

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Mike, I have seen 3 different 97 injector types... one with no stacks, one with two V- stacks and one with a single large bore like a 97 would have.

14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

no stacks:
    [​IMG]

single stack:
    [​IMG]

and the V-type along side a single stack
    [​IMG]

15. I'll dig them out over the weekend and post up some pictures, the set I have with the straight stacks he made for us in the 80's for our Riley 4-port deuce roadster. My other's are as pictured above with no stacks. My uncle Mel was a great guy and a blast to be around. I've collected a bunch of his stuff and just picked up another SBC system at an auction last month. I like the V stack's above.

Attached Files:

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

is that a GM rochester injection base manifold that the scott stacks are bolted to??

so mel scott was your uncle?? that's awesome... always loved the idea behind it... making an injection system that you could easily add to your current setup!

17. He built a few set's of theses on early Corvette fi manifolds.

18. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

certainly makes the process easier.... especially when guys were having trouble making the rochester units work

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Revkey, I have never seen a single throat casting! (If I ever saw that 10.54 second flathead digger, I should have noticed the Scotts! Have always been a fan)
    These are something I would love to run on the street.

20. Mike,

Mike,
    I think some of the pictures above are from the NHRA museum in Pomona.
    ---Dean

21. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

late 70's my friend was in zypherhills fl at the antqe midget races he had a v8-60 en g w/2-97's. jonny ? with the carooso offy midget was there and was the hotest on the track. my friend eddy found a set of scott injecters in the fleamarket there, he put them on the 60 and outran the offy, the offy guys could not bolieve they were beat by the 60, i think they packer up and went back home .HA HA

22. Scott_3.jpg Scott_2.jpg Scott_3.jpg
    These were probably the last ones my Uncle made mid 90's, they are for a Riley 4-port banger we have in a 32 roadster.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  23. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Thank you for the last picture. Can I gen a few pictures of the injection nozzle. Thank you

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!