Register now to get rid of these ads!

History History (and Build) of Just Steve's 1932 Ford Three Window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadsir, Nov 26, 2013.

1. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Boy, you're sure doing a great job, BTT50's maybe?

2. Roadsir

Roadsir

Dad came up today and we got a nice start on the exhaust. It's pretty tight by the front bones, and runs just below the x member.

Right now I'm stopped shy of the rear end, and haven't decided if I should do some turn downs, or some short scavenge extensions, or try to go up and over, which is really tight on a three window floor.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430095383.354402.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My vote is to go up and over and out the back in some fashion.
    I always like the look and sound of a more complete exhaust. Having the exhaust dump under the car always ends up with some sort of annoying drone or other type of resonance issue.

4. Mart

Mart

My 33 droned like mad with the exhausts dumping under the car. It was also fumey, but admittedly the floor has lots of "ventilation". I did the lazy solution and just extended them out to the rear end of the running board and both problems went away.

Out the back would achieve the same and look more professional.

Love the build, by the way.

Mart.

5. gonzo

gonzo

Still loving this thread!

Roadsir likes this.
  6. You are right about the tight confines of going over the rear, but it can work ..and then the scavengers!

Pipes3.jpg

Car is gonna be great!
    -Dave

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Are you running a stock spring, and tube shocks? If so, I would like to see a pic. for some ideas. Those are some big bells on your pipes,
    I was thinking last night I might try pressing a 2-5/16 trailer ball into the end of a 2" pipe to form a flare. I'll report back if it works!

8. Naw.. no buggy spring. I bought an original Deuce frame from a guy after it had been under a rodded tudor and it already had coil-overs. Still a tight deal with everything going on back there. I forgot you had the leaf setup, so you likely have an even tougher route. As for the pipes, I've had these same exact ones on various cars of mine going back 40 plus years. They were initially four feet long (I shortened them to 18 inches for the coupe) and are what we've always called "scavengers" around here with that "trumpet" bell on the end.

-Dave

9. These were all I could find to show the confines on my chassis. Not sure they will help you at all, but perhaps for someone else reading the thread..?

We went over the axle housing right where the 4-bar mounts to the pumpkin, down and then over to where I wanted the pipes to exit which was right at the tank reveal and lined up with the tail lights.
    OnFireExhaust.jpg
    OnFireFrame.jpg

-Dave

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Probably OT--just show'n off. DSCN1623.JPG

Roadsir and volvobrynk like this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

I've got a '32 tudor with stock rear and lowered spring. Also added tube shocks to take up more of the real estate. Fitting the exhaust was really tight. It goes parallel up over the axle rather close to the bells, then under the spring. Each side curves out toward the frame rails in front of the gas tank and then run the last foot directly under the frame horns. Some spots are really close to the frame and things, and every once in a while the axle housing bells will contact the system during a big bump.

Lowered '32 sedans and 3-windows with stock floors have got to be the hardest cars to put exhaust into.

Roadsir likes this.
  12. NealinCA

NealinCA

Here is a shot of Myke's old 3W chassis.

Attached Files:

daddio211 and Roadsir like this.
  13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks guys, a lot of good ideas. I should have opened up and added holes in the rear X similar to the picture NealinCA posted.
    The cars a hot rod, so I'm not too concerned about drone or rumble. I'd much rather hear that than a occasional clank or bang. My Roadster suffers this and it drives me nuts, and it's on my list to redo as well.

14. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

From what I've seen, turn downs underneath lead to a lot of chassis cleaning......

deathrowdave likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

I didn't want to cut an extra hole in the rear crossmember, so that's why I couldn't run them like Myke did. But, the only time I hear a clunk in the exhaust is at the same time I hear a clunk from the axle bottoming out on the rubber frame bumper.

If you don't have yours done before BTTF's, I can show you my tudor's then. We'll be up there.

16. Roadsir

Roadsir

I'm going to run it this way to start. It's always something that can be changed relatively easy down the road.

Here's how I did the bell. The ball is 2-5/16. I put a little grease on it and a few pumps I had a nice even radius. It took all of 10 minutes. A little bigger diameter ball would work better, to get a little more flair.

I even used the hitch as a handle.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430602233.017429.jpg

Time to finish welding and get some high temp paint on them.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430602300.024101.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430602360.324712.jpg

17. Hey man ! That looks pretty damned good !!! Once again .... killed it. As if ... right ?

Roadsir and volvobrynk like this.
  18. nobux

nobux

Hey, that's pretty slick!

Roadsir likes this.
  19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Fantastic job forming the bells, is there anything you can't do?

Roadsir likes this.
  20. I hadda feeling you'd do something with the exhaust that would look right ..and it DO!

-Dave

Roadsir likes this.
  21. Cool.
    Al.

Roadsir likes this.
  22. Looking good...Wish mine was this far along.

Roadsir likes this.
  23. Roadsir

Roadsir

Let's see, can't paint, can't get grass to grow in my lawn, ...........

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  24. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Have to say, this is one of my favorite builds. Bitchin coupe!

Roadsir likes this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You sure can do a very cool job of building a fabulous hot rod, I can spray some paint and can actually get some grass to grow, and I wish I could match your skill building a bitching cool 3 window deuce. :cool:

volvobrynk and Roadsir like this.
  26. Roadsir

Roadsir

No visual updates......about weekend or two away from firing the motor. Just need to get the gauges in, create a common electrical ground scheme, spin up the oil pressure, and give it a spin.

27. Should make it to BTT50s, right?

28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Definitely should make bttf. !

29. I'll be looking for ya! Gotta get a close up look...

30. Roadsir

Roadsir

Damn it! New tank leaks like a fricken sieve across the back flange.
    Looks like I will have to get a new one.... And get it sprayed.
    Anyone ever had this happen on a new tank.
    Problem is I'm not sure of the manufacturer. I'll need to see if I can find the paperwork.
    I'm getting ready to fire the car tomorrow. Everything else is looking good.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432496978.807840.jpg