Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Midnight special Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pete, May 3, 2015.

1. Pete

Pete

ROG will be here before we know it. The Torrnados are building a few cars to compete this year.

I sold last years Model T and am now building this years car which is underway and hopefully won't be a last minute nail biting build...

This particular late Model A coupe turned up in the local craigslist over the winter. Pics were super shitty as was the description, not much info and the fella selling it wasn't a model A guy. Turns out his father in law lived in Nevada and purchased the Model A in the late 80's from California. the car was brought to Nevada where it sat in his garage for a few years before any work began. the motor was pulled and given a complete make over with over sized Pistons, cut crank and new cam.
    The owners health turned and his family decided to bring him and the coupe back home to Beverly mass where it was promptly put up for sale.
    I purchased the car from the son in law along with every receipt and a suitcase full of manuals and articles.
    It being a west coast car = no rot! But dents here and there? In weird places..

Plans are a healthy chop, F-1 steering, flathead V8, '32 shell, '34 axle.... Etc.

Mitchell de Moor and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Pete

Pete

First pics of the car.

I removed the trashed fenders.... They were the worst I've ever seen! Loads of brazen cracks and wrinkles everywhere.

3. Yeah, no pics... sounds cool though!
    o_O

4. Sounds like a good start.

5. Pete

Pete

Fenders removed. At first I tried to carefully remove every nut and bolt, but that got tired quick so I employed my little friend "Mr. Torchy".....so much faster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    volvobrynk, hipster and kiwijeff like this.
  6. Pete

Pete

At first i was trying to save nuts and bolts by using sockets and wrenches......after fighting with every single one I just used the torch and nipped them off.

The car came with 5 brand new 19" Firestone tires with freshly painted rims..

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Pete

Pete

I pulled the banger, sold it than dropped the 59A in.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. This will be good, I'm keen to follow along.

9. Pete

Pete

Made some motor mounts from 2x3 rec. tubing, dropped the motor in....so purdy.

Attached Files:

10. Pete

Pete

Next was the steering box, Model A boxes suck big time! I had a decent F1 box, so I moved it back, filled the original steering box hole. I trimmed the F1 flange and re-drilled the lower mounting hole. F1-box.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Pete

Pete

I purposely moved the F1 box back so that it would fit F1_box2.JPG just under the arc of the exhaust manifold.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Pete

Pete

The front horns were damaged years ago...this was someones remedy? Overlap and bolt another pair on....old school back yard shit. Frame_Horns.JPG

sko_ford and volvobrynk like this.
  13. Pete

Pete

The entire front end was pretty tired. Every leaf on the front spring was broken in half, when I unbolted the U-bolt pad the front end came crashing down......almost lost a finger!

Shackles were worn right thru the perches!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Pete

Pete

Scored a '34 axle that was under a trailer, had something welded to each end at some point but had perfect perch and king pin bosses. I cleaned up the booger welds and smoothed out the areas that needed it.

Attached Files:

sko_ford likes this.
  15. Pete

Pete

Did some horse trading for the front spring, installed a pair of '39 spindles and new perches. With the new set up the front end dropped about 3-1/2 inches.

Had some time today.
    Cleaned up the '41 front bones, chopped off the spring in front mounts, blended and sanded. I had a bent tie rod in the pile so I cut 6" off each end and used them to split the bones. Everything is squared and tacked in place.

I had a nice long pitman arm that was on a Correct Kraft wood boat....I heated and bent it to clear the bones, made a drag link and the front end is almost finished.

Attached Files:

SoTxGuy and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Pete

Pete

Also got the F1 box shortened and the '40 wheel attached.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and hipster like this.
  17. You make it look easy man! Lookin forward to more!

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. daddylama

daddylama

how much space between the steering wheel and the dash? might just be the photo, but looks to be a knuckle skinner :)

19. Pete

Pete

Dash rails not bolted down, so it's tipped forward...

20. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Lookin good kid. Chya!

21. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Watching all these ROG builds and thinking damn you guys work too quick! I have come to the realization I just work too damn slooooow!

FlatJan likes this.
  22. LOL they used to think you couldn't weld a frame. So bolt on pieces and bolted on fish plates were common. ;)

Looks like you got it all under control. :cool:

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  23. daddylama

daddylama

ahh! yeah, can totally see that in the pic now that you mention it

dig the project man!

24. louisb

louisb

Great looking build so far.

--louis

25. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

26. Looking great!

27. Pete

Pete

Ordered a few more key parts for the front end, should be here tomorrow. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have the rear T spring mounted and some type of brake and clutch set up.

28. Pete

Pete

Had some time tonight to play in the garage. I wanted a larger/ wider column drop so I could mount some switches and maybe a gauge, so I made one tonight. I used a '56 drop as a pattern but extended it to reach under the dash rail. The '34 front end is done, steering is also done.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Going to be cool for sure! You said "Plans are a healthy chop", how much are you thinking?