Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Merc v/8 into 40 Ford swap

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 504640, Apr 28, 2015.

1. 504640

I have made an agreement to buy a 51 Merc engine and will install it in my 40 Ford Tudor with a 39 toploader. I would appreciate input from any one familiar with this swap. I have researched and have came up with the following:
    1 I will need the truck series 8rt water pumps

2 I will need a rear sump truck oil pan. I need clarification on this one because I regard all of the oil pans as rear sump.

3 The seller claims to have fabbed a wide belt crank pulley that will accept a 40 crank mounted fan. Is this a good idea. What are other options?

4 How about radiator hoses? Are the 8ba head hose recipicals the same size as the radiator's?

5. I have been told that if I get a 48-52 truck flywheel it will not have to be drilled to accept a 48-52 clutch and pressure plate. Can someone clarify for me the need to drill an 8ba passenger car flywheel to accept the truck clutch and why only a truck clutch and pressure plate will adapt to a early transmission?

6. I have noticed from Van Pelt drawings, that the 51 Merc bell housing set up is a little differnce from the rest. Will there be any problem there?

7. Will there be an issue with starter clearance?

8 Can I use stock ford exhaust manifolds?

Any help will be appreciated!

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

1 I will need the truck series 8rt water pumps

A good way, but will require getting wide belt versions of all your pulleys. "51 merc pump legs are in right latitude and it think you can build a simple spacer between those and Ford biscuits...align center of crank with holes for hand crank. (Merc legs are maybe 3" too high...you need a chunk of square tubing, '49-52 Merc spacers, or something of correct thickness under those legs)

This: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/...s/Flathead_Engine_frontmounts_1949-52merc.jpg shows merc spacers...

2 I will need a rear sump truck oil pan. I need clarification on this one because I regard all of the oil pans as rear sump.

Merc has rear sump pan...try it on before discarding. Contour differs only slightly from truck, drop it in there and see if it hits steering.

3 The seller claims to have fabbed a wide belt crank pulley that will accept a 40 crank mounted fan. Is this a good idea. What are other options?

I'd first drop Merc fan as low as possible and measure down to center of crank, then measure same from crank hole in radiator to see if it is viable thus.

4 How about radiator hoses? Are the 8ba head hose recipicals the same size as the radiator's?

No. Ends from Ford sized hoses OR purpose made rubber sleeve adapters from hose companies will adapt size. (that's UPPER...lower are same as early Ford)

5. I have been told that if I get a 48-52 truck flywheel it will not have to be drilled to accept a 48-52 clutch and pressure plate. Can someone clarify for me the need to drill an 8ba passenger car flywheel to accept the truck clutch and why only a truck clutch and pressure plate will adapt to a early transmission?
    Easiest way is '49-50 Merc pressure plate and disc. Done. All except earliest '51 Merc have the smaller throwout bearing fit, not good with early Ford. Of the post-1948 setups only '49-50-early '51 merc and truck use the big throwout and have fingers on clutch in right place.

6. I have noticed from Van Pelt drawings, that the 51 Merc bell housing set up is a little differnce from the rest. Will there be any problem there?
    You need '49-50-early 51 Merc OR '49-52 truck bell that is a ring matching up to Ford trans.

7. Will there be an issue with starter clearance? Starter is in same place as '40

8 Can I use stock ford exhaust manifolds?

Yes...you might want to try the bigger '42-8, though

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  3. 504640

Thanks Bruce! You have provided me with very comprehensive information written in very discernable language. You also have refreshed my memory about what I have learned in the past. The fellow selling me the engine has already put Ford 8ba's into a 40 ford and 35 PU. He could not quote the specifics to me, but says he just uses what works. I am confident he will outfit me with the right parts for the swap, as he said he will. I am trying to educate myself as to what works where, and why. Thanks again. Richard

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On clutches...truck stuff puts everything together, but mostly 11" toodamnheavy stuff. There were 10" trucks that can use '48 Ford clutch
    '49-50 Merc clutch...bolts up to what you have perfectly, but is getting hard to find.
    Most '51-53 Merc B&B, all '49-53 Ford passenger, finger circle too small for early throwout. B&B bolt pattern, 10 1/2 Ford will not allow use of early Ford pressure plate. Heavy duty passenger/light duty pickup 10" pattern is rare, but can take '46-48 Ford clutch.

5. 504640