Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Yeah, that's awesome!
    It looks great!
    Not sure I would have stopped long enough to take pictures.

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looks great. Loved the video you posted. Enjoy

Denns1989 likes this.
  3. This thread is still way cool!

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  4. Aw man, that is just very very cool. That car is sweet, looks like it's in good hands.

5. Slopok

Slopok

The pictures look great and the fact that there's nothin' in the back ground to date them as to when the photos were takin except the license plate just like the original picture by the lake. Really amazed with how the paint cleaned up.

volvobrynk, hendelec and Denns1989 like this.
  6. Thanks All :)
    Made a 40 mile round trip today, averaging 45 / 50 mph - No issues, purred like a kitten, barely hear the starting motor & fires right up once it's warm... so far so good, getting brave'r with every trip !

WC145, Woogeroo, Bubba1955 and 4 others like this.
  7. YJ4000

YJ4000

That is Awesome!!

Ryan.

Denns1989 likes this.
  8. Henry is smiling down on you..................

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Yay! No snow! This was just the boost I needed to get back on my projects, Thanks!

Denns1989 likes this.
  10. Such a great story! Thanks for sharing ..and for taking such good care of Snoop! Congrats on saving this time-capsule rod for us all - enjoy the heck out of it, you deserve it.

-Dave

Denns1989 likes this.
  11. Torchie

Torchie

Love all of it. I don't know about the Soo but they are predicting low 70's where I live just south of you for this weekend. Fill him up and let him run.......
    Torchie

Denns1989 likes this.
  12. Mikel50

Mikel50

Such an amazing story and great new beginning for the car and all parties involved. I think I'm going to start knocking on house doors with old barns out back and see if I get lucky ... There's more out there, we just need to find them !

Enjoy !

Mike.

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  13. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Putting on those headers really cleaned up Snoopy's side profile. Good move. It looks like those pictures could have been taken in 1968. Someone with the skill needs to sepia tone them for you.

14. Thankyou, I appreciate that, I like the use of the word "saving"... with the few friends & family that have seen the car (first show in ths area will be early June), I can already see 3 distinct crowds (and I'm sure there will be others as time goes on):

1) Non car people who are confused why my old car isn't shiny & perfect like the cars they are used to seeing at shows, they are still happy for me & happy to see "an old car" but perplexed why I didn't make it look like the others, once I explain that it's like you see on antiques roadshow, there is more value in furniture that isn't refinished then the lightbulb goes off...

2) Car people who look at it & you can tell they are just itching to grind the torch cuts & welds, repaint, reupholster, update the drive train, etc, etc. & make it "new", once it's in the public, I'm sure some will be vocal about this opinion :) so far you can just see the "itch" in their eye's :)

3) Car people like you & many others on this site who appreciate what my vision is & it makes me happy when someone "sees" what I'm trying to do, I'm using the term "time capsule" or "time bandit" as someone here mentioned earlier more now to describe the car as well, when someone says " wow look how they installed..." or "I can't believe the paint survived this long" or "this is exactly how I remember hot rods when I was young" etc. etc
    - then I know I have done my job.

Yes similiar forecast - I plan on a decent "tour" on Saturday :) Will try to get some video of that, visit's with previous owners etc. will be happening soon, once the car is in town, It's still "stretching it's legs" in the vicinity of my mothers shop right now.

Good plan Mike, trust me where Snewp's was located there was no "clues" that a hot rod resided there, just a regular older neighbourhood with nice little houses on a loop, and a typical non descript singe door garage with a Nissan sedan in the driveway... they are out there for sure.

Thanks ! that's a good suggestion, I hope to locate the spot of the 1967 black & white this summer & recreate as well.

Aviator, jocktherock and volvobrynk like this.
  15. Awesome! Glad I found this thread :) This car is amazing.

Denns1989 likes this.
  16. When you look up "traditional Hot Rod" you find a picture of Snewpee.!
    When you look up "traditional Hot Roder" you find a picture of Jer.!

17. Just got off the phone with exhaust shop, he said for the car to be there 8am sharp Monday morning !
    Last "major" step to be done, 1 3/4 pipe with Smithys ! My temp exhaust has done it's job to shake out some bugs & wait till the roads cleared up, but now it's time !

WC145, jocktherock and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Now that you've said this, we expect a video posted soon with Snoopy barking and snarling with her new Smithys freshly installed.

19. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Look'n good......!!!!

I know you want to keep it as made......but, boy does that carb look lonesome.o_O

Bob

WC145, volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  20. Ha ha... yes it does look lonely, thats the "tower of power" :)

Weezy1930, volvobrynk and jocktherock like this.
  21. And... 37 miles later, I just pulled into my driveway at home, ready for exhaust appoint tomorrow !
    When I hit city limits, I had a guy & his girl on a crotch rocket follow me until I turned off, as he went by he yelled " I love it !", then the car behind him honked his horn & gave me a thumbs up, to funny.
    Ran real nice, temp & oil pressure were beautiful !

WC145, volvobrynk and Tony Martino like this.
  22. Jer,
    You will be amazed at the attention you are going to get!

23. had to share this photo... helps explain why I use the shop at my mothers to work on my cars & not use my "shop" in town... ha ha "like a glove !" best thing is there is a MG Midget sideways across the back of the shop behind Snewp's in this picture (under the storage shelf & car cover) !
    P1050990.JPG

24. Slopok

Slopok

^^ Now that's Traditional! Not too many people really had a shop back in the day.

Woogeroo, volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  25. TX Hot Rod Kid

TX Hot Rod Kid

Exhaust update, exhaust update, exhaust update... Haha :)

Denns1989 likes this.
  26. :) Well here are some pictures - the exhaust guy had some choice words for fitting the pipes under Snewp's but the final job looks great, from the side you can't even see the mufflers / pipe, very tidy -

I will hopefully get a video of the sound tomorrow, it's very quiet on idle, but when you get on it it has a nice "snap" to it.

I had other priority's than getting a video of the exhaust tonight... I post that priority in a separate post :)

P1050993.JPG P1050998.JPG P1060001.JPG

WC145, Woogeroo, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  27. I wanted to share a "moment" that I have spent the last 8 months daydreaming about, this moment would be the "Widow's" first ride...

Last night my wife & I hopped in Snoopy & made the short drive over to the widow's house unannounced, she was home, I knocked on the door... she was trying to put on shoes & walk out the door all at the same time !!
    She has not seen the car since it left her driveway on a trailer, she was stunned how "it's exactly the same car, but everything is shiny / clean & it all works".

And allthough she is holding in her other hand in the picture, the plastic rose that was stuck in the middle of the dash (the one her husband would jokingly present her when going on a date) when I removed from storage was all washed up & returned to her last night.

P1060004.JPG

We then headed out for a ride, the widow kept saying " I'm riding in Snoopy, I'm riding in Snoopy", clapping her hands/slapping her legs, beaming from ear to ear - we started tracing her daughters evening walk route as she knew she was out for a walk with her husband & wanted to surprise her, a couple blocks later we round the corner & down the road we can see them walking towards us, daughter looks up, slight perplexed look then a huge smile & she's shaking her head, we are able to pull off on side street right in front of her - she walks up to the car with her eyes welled up in tears " I can't believe this, this is surreal..."

Widow & I headed out for her 1st ride in over 44+ years...

P1060002.JPG

As I head out with the widow's daughter for her first ride (ever, as the car was already parked for at least 6 years before she was born) the daughter is saying "this must be a dream, how is this possible, after all these years, all the memories,story's... I'm riding down the street in the car exactly how it would have been for my mother & father...."

P1060008.JPG

So yesterday evening was a good evening... very good indeed.

28. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reconnecting your car with the Widow and family was a class act. Very nice!

29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Terrific! So glad you got to provide them with that experience.

Bubba1955, Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. awesome! your a good man.

Bubba1955, Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.