Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '31 Coupe or Vicki?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Apr 26, 2015.

1. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I'm looking at a '31 Model A coupe on Deuce rails. Pretty good body, new Bitchin' firewall, floors, etc, 9" rear with new gears, 401 Nailhead (supposed to be 400HP), brand new "Super" Turbo 400 trans, split bones, dropped ax, Buick drums, triangulated ladder bar rear, coil overs and lots of extra parts. Titled as a '31 Ford. Car is in pieces so would be a complete build which I have no problem with.

He also has a Vicki body that is pretty decent with front and rear fenders but no running boards. He will give me either body for the same price.

I think the Vicki is worth more and has the fenders but I think a coupe is a bit more "racey" looking. I recently sold a '29 Tudor and was forced to sell my '34 three window a few years ago during the financial crisis. I'd like to build another coupe similar to the '34 and this coupe could be the car to do it with.

I started looking at various Vicki's on the internet and some of them are pretty cool too. Now I'm torn between both and trying to make a decision.

Here is a photos of them side by side.

Any input?

Attached Files:

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Vicky Waiting it's turn in the project rotation and they are basically sheet metal tacked on a wood frame with very little metal structure. I got it right but will have as many hours building structure inside the body as I have in the rest of the car. If the wood in that body is really solid it would come down to which one you like better.

3. You should let us decide.

Model T1 and clem like this.
  4. If you can't decide, then get the coupe.
    Leave the Vicky for someone wanting a Vicky.

Btw an A is not really similar to a 34

Model T1 and clem like this.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The Vicky is cool as hell, and with a working cowl vent and a deuce grill they can dress out fine. Change the A pillars from a 32 sedan, and have a cool swing out windshield.

6. Go with the Coupe and don't concern yourself with potential "value" down the road. As much as I like Victorias, I never quite understood where Henry was going with these body styles. I mean they're not a Coupe but they're not really a Sedan either. I guess he was just trying to cover as much of the market as possible. They seem like kind of a "sporty" Sedan of sorts but I've always found them confusing, attractive but confusing.

kiwijeff, i.rant, Freemoe and 2 others like this.
  7. Zandoz

Zandoz

Personally, if I had to pick one early 30s body style to build, it would be a Victoria...with the interior configured as a spacious coupe. More leg room up front. All kinds of potential uses for the room behind the seats...high end stereo components, a nice package shelf, room for pet(s) to ride, maybe even some kind of a fold up jump seat,

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I'm well aware of that having had a '34 (see my avatar). Unfortunately, I can't afford another steel 3 window '34 right now so a Model A will have to do. Besides, in the grand scheme of things, looking at cars from Model Ts to modern day cars, a Model A coupe really is pretty similar to a '34 coupe, not in our jaded hot rodder eyes but in casual observation. And once it is on the road, I'll have just as much fun driving an A as a '34 (with just a little less room inside!).

1927graham likes this.
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

No question in my mind, I would jump at the Vicky. Now you have to decide which you want, the cool look of the Vicky or the racy look of the coupe. :confused:o_O:oops::cool:

loudbang likes this.
  10. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I just talked to a buddy who thinks I should get the Vicki and do it up as a gasser style car. There was a "barn find" Deuce Vicki gasser at LARS a couple years ago (I got a photo but it won't upload for some reason).

If I went that route I think I'd have to use an A frame instead of the Deuce frame.

Both bodies have all new wood.

This is like walking into a brothel with a bunch of hot chicks and having to pick one. :)

Maybe I should see how much he wants extra for both bodies!

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

I always liked Vicky's. That is what I would pick but it's irrelevant what I would pick.

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Now you get it! Buy both and then you can build both. ;)

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

To me a Coupe screams 'vrrrooom vrrooom hot rod!!', a Vicki croaks 'get off my lawn, you young whippersnapper'.

Squablow, kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  14. Blondes,Brunettes,Redheds....... A personal preference..... but- ......a keeper,or a flip sometime?
    There is an ass for every seat.......
    What YOU want, and what is popular with the in crowd is irrelevant.......
    Make YOURSELF happy........

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  15. If it were me I would opt for the Vicky...but it's a decision you have to live with so it's up to you. HRP

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Get the coupe.. More of a hot rod.. To me model A's are just as cool if not more so than the more expensive 32s 33s and 34s.. Besides, it is more how you build a car than what one is worth...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't be a stupe, get the coupe.
    Unless you're picky, then get the Vicky.

I agree with Scrap 48 though, A coupes are the bees knees.

18. belair

belair

19. Very well said, my thoughts, get the Model A coupe, you can't go wrong.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd pick the Vicky. Is the Vicky a steel back or padded back? Bob

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Yes, that is what I had in mind. Bass did a nice conversion too, with his coupe.

22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Vicky is nice, but I take a Tudor over a vicky any day of the week. But of those two, I would go for the coupe.
    But I like them as much as the next rod I see, but I'm to big an hack with wood to ever enjoy the vicky.
    But by no fould of the vicky.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. kb cookout

kb cookout

If you go for the Vicky , make sure you get or it has all the inside trim and hardware for the windows, they are some hard parts to find and also is the metal floor pan that run from under the front seats to the back of the body, it only interchanges with a A-400 and a touring car

later kb

loudbang likes this.
  24. Roger53

Roger53

Get the coupe it's where your heart telling you to go! Roger

25. OK does the Vic come with the same running gear as the coupe just a different body or is the vic a bare body and the coupe is all but a runner? I don't understand here.

If the coupe is all that running gear and the vic is just a body and no running gear that the vic is a rip go with the coupe. if the deal is the same deal just the body is different I would probably go with the vic just because I like them.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't sweat it too much. Cars are like wives. No matter which one you choose, at some point in time you will wish you had chosen a different one.

Model T1 and kiwijeff like this.
  27. I go with rarity, value and unique....Victoria

28. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Everything is in pieces and I have the choice of either body. The coupe is not a runner, just body sitting on Deuce frame and all apart.

29. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

LOL! I've had three of those (ex-wives) so I know what you mean. No matter which body I go with at some point I'm going to wish I had gone with the other.

30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Unless you buy both of them! :rolleyes:;)