Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Waking up a dormant Chevy 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobss396, Apr 23, 2015.

1. I've had this 1974 vintage 350 Chevy engine that has been in storage for 30 years. It had a 2bbl and was out of a wrecked station wagon. I put a 327/275hp intake manifold and a Holley Q-Jet on it and ran it for 6 races in a stock car in 1984. The engine has 52k miles on it and is clean inside. It has been stored inside, fogged and every orifice taped off, wrapped in plastic. It turns easily.

I want to freshen it up a bit and figure the CR is around 8.5:1. I want to use the 327 intake and Holley on it, but would like to change the cam to something like a L79 or 268H hydraulic grind. The rear in the car will be a 4.10 and I'm running a M20 Muncie. Ignition will be an HEI.

It probably has 76cc heads on it. I was thinking about going with 64cc heads to bring the CR up to 9:1.

The bottom line: who makes a decent aftermarket head for not a ton of $$? I'd like to avoid going to a vortec style head since I'd like to use the manifold that I already have. I was going to have the existing heads done over, but the CR is probably not enough to support a nice cam. I'd like screw in studs too. I plan to buy a cam kit with everything that I may need.

Thanks!

2. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

World Products make some good iron heads that will work great with what you want to do.Probably can get a new set for less than doing those '74 castings. They will flow better too.

3. Thanks. Bill Mitchell's shop is close to me too, but assembled iron heads were $536 and I'd still need guide plates and screw in studs.
    I could just get the 76cc heads freshened up and go with the spring kit that went with the cam. But would a L79ish cam be ineffective with the 8.5:1 CR?

4. TTT.. any other suggestions?

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'd suggest a better cam. I know everybody loves on those L79 cams but even at 9 to 1 thats most likely not ideal for it. Cam technology has come a LONG way since the mid 60's take advantage of it.

6. So, what do you suggest? I've been looking at a few cam sites over the weekend. I'm also leaning towards aluminum heads.

7. raidmagic

raidmagic

The smartest thing to do is to call a cam company, tell them your combo and let them recommend the proper cam for your application.

8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Profiler 195cc aluminum heads. Call Straub Technologies or Mike Jones for cam recommendations.

9. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

195CC runner heads on a stock 350? better have lots of cam...

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I would call Chris Straub he will get you a cam that works! You tell him what you want and what you have and he will hook you up. As for the heads if you are not worried about period correctness I'd go with a good set of aluminum heads too. I have AFR 195's on a 383 with a decent hyd. roller and about 10.2/ 1 comp. it runs on pump gas and is very streetable I drove it 10,000 miles last year. It will run mid 12's @ 113 mph on skinny bias ply tires too.

11. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yes if looking for a mild 350 build, use 180cc heads. I always go for the gusto. Make that thing RUN! I have 210cc heads on my 383. 575-600HP in a 27T roadster, 2100 w/driver. WOO HOO.
    I would dump that intake and zero deck the block.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. I'm looking at some 185cc x 64cc aluminum heads that are complete. One recommends a Comp Cams flat tappet 268H or 270H grind cam.

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

some 64cc heads and flat top pistons will get you about 10:1 comp. Good cam like an L79 would make more difference with more compression and still run on 93 octane pump gas.

14. Thanks. I'm not buying anything until I pop the existing heads off of it. If the pistons tops are dished, I have other decisions to make. Hopefully they are flat tops. The dished ones may give me a 9:1.