Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford coupe & sedan merge...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by white64, Mar 12, 2014.

1. white64

white64
    from Maine

I have a stripped coupe that is very rusted,the raingutters are bad, the cowl is bad, no floors at all, but the roof is good. I just picked up a 1940 Fordor to use as parts for the coupe... I was thinking I would use a lot of the sedan, the cowl, floors, and all the small parts that are missing from the stripped coupe. It seems to be quite "common" for Lincoln Zypher sedans being made into coupes, and I've heard talk of it being done on '40s, but couldn't find details. Questions; Like where to cut the roof, how to deal with the rear doors on the sedan to convert to coupe quarters, how to deal with rocker panel differences, keep the sedan b-pillar with changes, how much of the rear fender areas to use... etc.... I've searched here and didn't find much.

Does any one have details to share? Pictures would be great!!!

2. patterg2003

patterg2003

I read about your car being presented as better than it was. Sorry for that.

I was looking for a 1940 Ford coupe and found a convertible. The seller did represent it fairly & I will have some work. I found one candidate coupe that was close & hesitated that I missed.

I learned a couple things in researching panels to repair coupes & convertibles . The convertible doors are longer similar to a tudor & share the same door length as coupes & tudors. When looking at old coupes I learned that a tudor door can be modified by some modifications to the front of the upper corner of the door glass frame to match the profile of the coupe windshield A post. I found examples of that either here or out on the web. Quarters of the tudor body from the doors back can be used to patch the quarters of a convertible. That begs the question if they may be used to partially patch a coupe.

Here are a couple threads by Zibo on building a pair of 1940 Ford coupes.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/building-a-low-budget-bellybutton-40-ford-coupe.742104/
    This build was starting with a very rough coupe. He built a lot of this car & pieces from other coupes.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...oupe-and-fab-everything-else-possible.335174/

The 39 Guy has a great build thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/a-40-ford-coupe-for-uncle-mike-build-thread.949053/

One consideration may be to do the math and look at the cost of perhaps buying a pair of Dennis Carpenter/Bob Drake quarters & new gutters if that gets the car out of the woods faster. I think the sedan cowls & firewalls are the same. There are lots of patch panels & used parts available for the coupe. If the costs get too high & the challenge too difficult it may be an option to put a value on parting the car out to recover & go shopping again.

I always thought it would be a interesting to take a tudor & keep everything windshield/cowl forward & make a phantom woodie. I had a picture on a calendar of a 39 Ford std. tudor phantom woodie that I kept for a long time as something to build. Wood is reasonable so the cost is sweat equity which I thought would be fun & affordable. I enjoy wood as much as metal.

All the best with your project

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

White 64 I am sure someone out here has done some of this mix and match before. How high up those quarters do you think you need to replace? I believe the rockers are the same for the coupes and sedans. Like I mentioned to you before it would be great if you made a build thread. We all could learn from experience and you may draw someones attention during the process of the build that can shed some light on the subject.

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Coupe and 4 door sedan doors share the front doors how far the roof is the same I do not know. Any good luck with your project

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

^^^^^The top of the rightmost edge has to be trimmed on a 4dr door to fit a coupe, so there has to be roof difference. About 1/4" if my memory serves.

6. patterg2003

patterg2003

7. When I built my '40 coupe out of a junkyard in '58, I couldn't find a coupe door, so got a 4 dr door and torched off a little slice from the upper rear corner and it fit nicely.

8. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

go over to the FordBarn website & ask Kubes40. most knowledgeable man on 40's around