Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1949-1954 chassis question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRAU 82, Apr 26, 2015.

1. TRAU 82

TRAU 82

Sorry guys..done a lot of digging already thus far, but it's safe to say that my 53 belair chassis has seen its better days. Many years of sitting down in the dirt/sand before I rescued her back to life took quite a toll on her. My question is, would any of you guys be able to confirm whether or not all frame/chassis are or are NOT the same from 49-54(taking into account being either 2/4 door of course)? I have recently come across a 51 Chevy deluxe chassis and was wondering if I could pick this chassis up and build it while I still enjoy driving my 53 until I'm ready to eventually do a chassis swap..your help is much appreciated! Crossing my fingers on this one..perhaps some of you have done something similar..

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You can use any '49 thru '54 Chevrolet car chassis as a replacement for yours. Only the convertible is different and that difference is the heavy X member reinforcement.
    There is no difference of consequence between 2 and 4 door or station wagon chassis in those years.

Ray

3. R Pope

R Pope

Frames all interchange, ragtop is just braced more. Bear in mind that the '49 has terrible Hucks brakes, and the '53/54 has different front uprights that drop the front an inch and a half. Also a '54 automatic car will have 3.55 gears for better cruising. '54 rear springs are softer for better ride, less leaves. Oh, and the '54 automatics had the trans X-member bolted in, not rivetted. All in all, a '54 automatic is what to look for.

4. TRAU 82

TRAU 82

Sweet..thanks for the info fellas! Yea R Pope I picked up a 3.55 rearend out of a '54 powerglide car just this wknd, just wondering if I shouldn't have picked up the whole car bc frame and other parts were in much better condition than mine. So Hnstray there is no difference in length of frame/ body mounting points between the 2/4/or station wagon cars? Sorry just trying to be certain before I shell out the cash..

5. High5

High5

There was a slight difference between the frames used for sedans versus hardtops. From the outside they look the same. However, GM welded a reinforcement strip inside the "Hat Section" to the frame rails for the hardtop models. As others have stated, the convertibles had a large crossmember.

6. You are good to go!

Pretty much all the differences have been covered.

Functionally you won't notice a difference.

7. TRAU 82

TRAU 82

Thanks again dudes...you guys rock!

8. ems customer service

ems customer service

update info: the frames are the same for 49-52 and 53-54 BUT the outriggers ( brackets) on the frame that the floor bracres bolt to are different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you will need to swap these ouriggers ( brackets) the switch from 49-52 to the 53-54 or back,

the ems guy www.emsautomotive.com

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The front "spindles" are different 53-54, using the 49-52 spindles will "raise" your 53 slightly. Some owners of 49-52 cars will use the 53-54 spindles to lower their cars roughly 1 inch. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I believe it is the "spindle supports" (uprights) that are different in king pin boss height, not the spindles themselves.

Ray