Register now to get rid of these ads!

internet "bullying" on the HAMB

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by birdman1, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvenfield

wvenfield

Ryan is far better at writing than me. I could have a good point and Ryan is going to come out on top because you are far better at it than me. (all due respect to your ability to write a good story, I read them because they are all very well written). I only wish I could do that. Besides, you also have more friends to gang up on me. :D

As I said, it's a big garage. I know you have been there and slammed your buds right back, never took offense and gave it right back. But I know you have different goals, responsibilities and headaches than I.

But as I said, it's not my job to clean the garage. I get to go home afterwards but no worries about me complaining about someone being mean.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

All good points too... Writing, gang mentality, etc...

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

The HAMB used to be a much rougher place, and you could get your ass handed to you for making the slightest little mistake.
    I thought that was totally unnecessary, and wrong.

The other extreme is where everybody is on eggshells, so nobody gets offended or their feelings hurt.

Personally, I'd rather have a conversation with the first group...

56don, Saxman and kiwijeff like this.
  4. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Don't worry about it, read between the lines. Our hobby has grown in the last 50 years and many are just not car people. It will get worse. Just keep supporting our charity car shows and having fun among ourselves:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

5. Some real good stuff here, but my conclusion of it all, is, as to bullying here, there's no great problems.
    I've been on other sites, where bullying knew no boundaries, and saw some horrible behaviour.
    Left one site due to the crap, rejoined recently, and the forum part is mostly dead, due to the crap.
    We are very lucky to have this place, and I'm happy with all of it, the good, and the not so good.
    Best learning curve I've ever had!

6. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

Shut..... I've always enjoyed the boys talkin smack back and forth over a beer and under the hood!!!!
    I'm personality SO tired of this politacaly correct sensitivy garbage!!!
    And I HATE this term "bullying"!!!! If you can't hang with the "BIG DOGS", stay on the porch!!

1. Never, ever, show weakness on the HAMB. You will be descended upon by a pack of wolves and torn to shreds. If that happens, see #6 and get over it. :D
    That's just how I feel.... It's not directed towards ANYONE in particular, just how I feel.

Saxman likes this.
  7. just add the A-holes to your ignore list, soon enough they will just ban themselves out of this place and start all over elsewhere. I'm very cynical but am mostly commenting on "from my experience" POV. if you could see my ignore list, half the people are gone.. been here a long while.

8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm here for what I'm always here for...... the cars.
    This analytical stuff is like hooking up a wiring harness to a steam engine.
    I take nothing personal. I like reading good shit and enjoy what I want and give back what I can.
    The cars are what the common bond is. It's all good.

So you old timers miss some thick skin nostalgia huh ? Ok here's a little jab.......
    Old timers tell you need thick skin to be here but usually the old timers were the ones who got their undies in a bunch if they got called out.
    And for those old timers who say if you ask me for my opinion and tip toe through the tulips of opinions, it baffles me when with out being asked, they just give it anyway................ like 20-30 thousand times.
    Sometimes they can't help themselves and like/want to be involved in everything. It's their thing.
    A little nostalgia for you fellas ?

The internet is the electric garage, drink a beer at your desk or APP, shoot the shit with guys social skills varying so you roll with the punches of church goers to deranged individuals that are 5 spark plugs short of a V-8..
    It all comes down to what you make it.
    Don't sweat it - do what you want - it's your car.

It's all about the cars...It's all good.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    bowie, lothiandon1940 and Bam.inc like this.
  9. I'm gonna get my ten year pin soon for being a member here ... I remember back when I first decided to finally bite the bullet and sign up I was pretty careful what I posted. There were a whole lot of people I considered ass hats, and getting into internet verbal jousting isn't something I feel like doing (boring).

Over the years I have met a ton of HAMBrs at car events or had car and parts dealings with. A lot of these guys were the online ass hats I didn't care for back in the beginning. When you know someone IRL you read their postings in a much different way. Bunch of pretty cool guys and gals.

10. Nah, this place is all flowers and candy.

I still haven't done a intro...............:D.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I guess we all really care about how our replies are viewed, otherwise we wouldn't reply to this one. Lots of great people here, always fun to replace their avitar with a face to face meeting. Bob

12. Lets get back to hot rods now, Steve McQueen would approve.

117harv likes this.
  13. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Corncobcoupe's right on: quote:

"I'm here for what I'm always here for...... the cars.
    The cars are what the common bond is. It's all good.
    ...hmmmmt..... .....okComes down to the cars.

The internet is the electric garage, drink a beer at your desk or APP, shoot the shit with guys social skills varying so you roll with the punches of church goers to deranged individuals that are 5 spark plugs short of a V-8..
    It all comes down to what you make it.
    Don't sweat it - do what you want - it's your car."

That just sounds like my new HAMB mission statement. Thanks corncob

14. birdman1

birdman1

no one offended me, and I went through basic training in 1965. So i have a tough skin.I just wanted to tell guys how easy it si to say something not so nice on the internet. I have done it myself, and it is hard to go back and undo it. I think all you guys are great and have been very helpfull with my '39 coupe build. The HAMB gives people inspiration that they would not get anywhere else. ( I feel like a red-headed step-child being a hot rodder in Iowa) . The HAMB is my only connection to other rodders. Thanks to all of you. 004.JPG

117harv likes this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cool car..
    I've never seen snowjob two tone paint before ! :)

16. 117harv

117harv

What Cob said, I'm here for the cars as well...but. It has been posted that a persons real message can at times get lost with the written or typed word as it were, and the question or sentiment doesn't get through. Yes this site is about a certain time period of cars and info pertaining to them, so to get that info members have to share. If you want to know more about a squirrel, not ours, we already know about him, you would want to hold it and examine it, to do that you have to catch it. When it gets close to your hand and you make a sudden move then it runs away, back to square one, no new info.

Being respectful doesn't mean you are weak, as mentioned this is like a large garage that we hang out in, yes we rib each other here just like you would do in person, but there is a fine line to where it goes past ribbing, especially with a newer member. This new member who we haven't really had a chance to get to know, or him know us, takes offense to some garage ribbing, gets offended and posts much less or no more and lurks in the shadows. He may have a wealth of great info to share that we will never get to have. My point, I don't want to discourage but guide, show respect and share what info I can when I can. I wish more would share instead of lurking in the shadows, I feel many do because of fear. A half a million members here and there are about 40 regular posters??? Hey guys, come on in and play, we need you :)

gwhite likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

The car looks great from this angle...I really like the front bumper. :) HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. Nice car. If I can give you a tip. You said you are in Harlan Iowa? There is actually a TON of rodders in that area. You just need to do some networking. Our own Rocky is in Omaha and knows EVERYONE.. Nick Hoesing aka Malcom here on the board is also in the area. Some CB folks. I can think of 10-20 folks on the HAMB from that area off the top of my head. You have Dennis Slaymaker and his group North of you hold a winter garage crawl. Buy a HAMB t shirt, hit the swaps and talk to folks. Put up a request to caravan to the HAMB drags. Head up to Watertown SD for the vintiques event or the one in Mitchell SD. Both short weekend trips. Be social! When you make the connections your world becomes bigger.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Here's my take on this topic (and I've been biting my lip for a while).
    Have you heard of the term "BMOC", most of you have I'm sure, the rest can look it up.
    In my opinion (FWIW), there seems to be a segment of (internet) society that are just reliving their youth, you know the ones, the high school bully types, so don't tell me there is no bullying here as I have witnessed some of it in the short time since I joined (short timer), saw a lot of it here for years, long before I signed up.
    As many have pointed out; the moderators have helped make the HAMB a better place by weeding out those that won't grow up.
    Yes it is possible to have an opinion without being a jerk about it.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Tman--great advice.

21. I also really hate the term "bullying". To me its represents so much that is wrong with society; political correctness, lack of personal responsibility, victim mentality. I believe that we should treat each other with consideration and respect, but for shit sake, are we men or a bunch of delicate flowers? If someone is "mean" to you are you damaged for life? Sure, there may be high school bully types still around but you would think by now we would know how to deal with them. I think so called "bullies" and so called "victims" need each other on a deep psychological level and they both have mental problems. There is no need to be either one. Just be a decent, respectful, considerate and honest person. If someone is an ass hat, who needs 'em? Get over it.

Muttley, rlm2011, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Saxman--
    Some truth there, but the "ASS HATS need to be called out now and then.

23. Well DDDenny...I think you're right about that. There is certainly no reason to take any crap, but Ass Hats love to suck you into the Ass Hat vortex so proceed with caution. ;)

I'm ready to get back to hot rods now.:D

Kan Kustom and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. This whole thread has turned into something akin to the Salem Witch hunt of the late 1600's...

Innuendos and finger pointing at any member,regardless of knowledge or lack thereof,and assigning the term bully or asshat because your ideas are different doesn't make for a intelligent thread.

We all have gotten caught up in a discussion one time or the other that has veered off track on more than one occasion,sometimes it takes a moderator to sort a couple of hard heads out,God knows I have be the recipient to a stern conversation with a moderator.

Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree..in the long run we are all still friends. HRP

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Wow!
    So on one hand you know how easy it is to make harsh or negative internet remarks, in the other hand you live and die, are exhorted or dissuaded by those remarks.

Some anonymous post has that much power over your psyche? Some anonymous post has the power to inflate or deflate your self esteem and self worth? Are people really that weak and fragile? Are they willing to let another anomymous internet post have that control over their lives outcome and accomplishments?

It's a good think these folks don't have any real problems to concur.

26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Relax fellas.

It's all about the cars...........

27. It is, and many folks forget that. They also forget it is geared toward trad but not on a militant level.

28. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Saxman, you cover it well and I agree. The drama of life gets blown out of proportions these days. Take responsibility for yourself.

This is getting pretty deep. All started by the use of '59 taillights. ;)

Neal

29. petsco

petsco
    from Utah

Birdman1, well stated, thanks. Like yor ride, and like others have said: Let's get back to the cars, that's what the HAMB is all about!

30. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

Well put!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.