Register now to get rid of these ads!

internet "bullying" on the HAMB

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by birdman1, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAROKE

LAROKE

Speaking of Hoodlums, when your buddy's down, you kick him 'til he pees red . . . It's a bonding thing.

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Like my dad used to say .If you cant say anything nice about somebody .Keep your mouth shut. THEN HE WOULD WACK ME!!!! lol.Bruce.

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

The HAMB is a stroll in the park compared to life. As far as I know it won't give you cancer.

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. redo32

redo32

EEEEEEEWWWWWWEEEEEEE!!! Touchy...Feeley... All nicey-nice and PC. First your telling "Hot Rod Questions" to build a street rod to have a dependable commuter and now this. Are all the Hard Core Traditionalist still hung over from LSR? I wouldn't put Cad taillights on anything I own.........Well, maybe tunneled in on the '53 Merc in the back yard.

5. Or on a swap meet table,IMHO all they look good on is a caddy. HRP

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

After reading all this, my conclusion is that we need a group hug. ;)

Opinions on the net can be harsh. There are assholes out there. So is life. Move on.

The HAMB of old had moments of being direct with the opinions. Not all bad. I find enough PC crap everywhere else.

Neal

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sorry, I gotta pass on the manhug.

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. I've walked away from the HAMB for months at a time as well. Actually the only guy NOT on my ignore list is porknbeaner.

9. Just went through the entire tread and don't think any "Bullying" went on. That is just my opinion. For me Breaking Balls is part of the fun of being on the HAMB.:rolleyes: As for the car I think stock lights fit the overall style of it.:cool: Again I am here to meet new friends and have some fun with old ones while trying to learn something. If I want serious shit I'll go back to work!:eek:

10. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I find it best not to get in a piss'n contest with a skunk. They are what they are

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

"Thanks for all your ideas and slams, as I have no hot rodders here in Harlan iowa to converse with. As for the guys with their "perfect " cars, I bet I can find 10 things wrong with each of them in 10 minutes!"
    Revisited and did not see any bullying that I see that stands out, although apparently his feelings were hurt by some of the "rough" comments /opinions.

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Don't let it bother you......and as said, it is mild now compared to some time ago..
    There are a whole lot of very fine people here, who love to help out and share with you.
    Like any forum, where you can be a wanna be typing on your computer hiding behind your walls, there are a few of them too..(I call them "Can Rats".)
    Overall, this is the best place to get real info, and not for a cost....and speaking of cost..this great forum is FREE too...so we just gotta accept what pops up on our screens when we post anything.....
    And yes I remember your thread.... :)

13. x2. I just went back through the entire thread and saw nothing that would be remotely considered 'bullying'; just a few guys that said "I told you so"...apparently a reference to an earlier "what do you think..." thread. Didn't see any moderated posts either.

As I see it, there are two options...ignore the folks who have differing opinions and do your own thing or don't post an open-ended question soliciting ideas/opinions. I think a lot of folk have grown tired of the "what color should I paint it", "whaddya think about red wheels", and "is a SBC better than a flathead" type threads - so you're probably going to get a double-barrel shot of honesty (or opinion) when you 'go there'.

Reminds me of an email I got a few months ago dealing with the female "demerit system";
    If she asks, "Do I look fat?" (you lose 5 points)
    You hesitate in responding. (-10 points)
    You reply, "Where?" (-35 points)
    You give any other response. (-40 points)
    (Yes, you lose points no matter what)

A good 'rule of thumb' (if the response might possibly crush your psyche) is to not ask...personally, I try to keep my mouth shut and my mind open - especially when I've asked for advice.

HOTRODPRIMER and kiwijeff like this.
  14. Harvesting for opinions is gonna turn up some shit.
    Some folks thrive on conflict.
    There's so much negative stuff out there, as a personal rule I try to only post positive comments.
    Hope ya find better taillights

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. GoinGreen

GoinGreen

Car shows are full of assholes too.
    Electronic communication is a horrible format for most things other than data.
    Anything placed on the Internet is open to feedback, right or wrong.

This thread was fun to read. Have a nice weekend, happy wrenching.

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

or, as my mother used to say, "just consider the source!"

17. Sometimes the intention of a post is lost in translation. Its hard to tell sometimes if someone is just ribbing you or actually serious. Thats why a lot of people use the emoticons. If you get a nasty post, just think of it as some dude trying but failing to be funny. And if he isn't, screw him because he is unimportant in your life anyway.
    Most guys hanging out in a garage are constantly saying nasty things to each other in jest, but its usually just the fun part of being a guy. A lot of women can't understand this and thats why they aren't allowed in my garage. Call me a name and I figure you must like me or you would have ignored me.;)

18. 1pickup

1pickup

I posted on that thread. If agreeing with the OP that his taillights were less than optimal in appearance makes me a bully, then a badass I am. Looking back at the photos, I could have said some things that came to mind then (& now), but didn't. I also didn't read the entire thread. Just wanted to see if I was an offender. If you are not able to do the work required to change them, live with the way they look. Flatter lenses may be an option, but I don't know if anyone makes something that fits into that housing. And, realize, anything posted on the HAMB most likely will get some ribbing from tough crowd around here. **comment originally posted here, was deleted by 1pickup, so as to not offend anyone**

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

It's only known to cause cancer in independent testing in the state of California..... :)

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Consider this:

Let's say you are watching a movie... And the main character of this movie is your typical leading man. He's a man's man. Pillar of the earth. Class. Dignity. Valor.

And the director has done everything he can to show you this. Maybe he helps an old lady cross a street. Or maybe he takes a bullet for his country. Or... You get the point. He builds the character with actions and words.

Of course, this leading man is also Righteous. But do you think a director would ever write this characteristic into the story by having him peck away at a keyboard or bury his nose in a phone while winning some arbitrary argument on the internet?

No, absolutely not. You know why? Because no matter when Steve McQueen lived, he was far too cool to ever stoop to such lows.

And then there is the other side. A guy asks for opinions. He gets them. Some people on this earth weren't born with the couth to express their own opinion delicately enough to live up to the standards of the guy asking for opinions in the first place. There's a disconnect. And this disconnect is amplified on the internet for obvious reasons.

The guy that asked for the opinion fires back and the two slip into a full fledged internet argument. They turn into anti-McQueens without ever really realizing it.

Excuses are varied:

"I tell it like it is." (This guy is usually just an asshole.)

"I just wanted opinions and this guy trashed my car." (Often times this guy isn't looking for opinions. Instead, he is looking for verification. And this, in and of itself, leads to a defensive stance which, of course, makes the guy more prone to slipping into an anti-McQueen situation.)

Anyway, I could go on forever. I have 20 plus years experience in this... From that, I have two rules that I try really hard to live by on the internet:

1. Realize that you are never 100% right. By that, I mean you have to be able to put yourself in the other guy's shoes. If you can't do that, you will never be as cool as Steve McQueen and you will never have compassion.

2. Never, never... no matter the situation... talk shit on the internet. I know it's hard sometimes... And no one is perfect... But the very instance you talk shit to someone on the internet, you lose McQueen credibility. In other words, you look like a moron.

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

Steve McQueen smacked Ali Macgraw around. I'm good with not being a Steve McQueen.

I never really looked a the HAMB as the "internet" but rather one big garage. Most of us talk smack to our friends in the garage.

Fair point that I'm not the one that has to clean up the messes though.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's a good example.

If I was an internet rookie or some kind of a moron, I'd be offended by your reply and come back with something like this:

"Yeah dumbshit, that's why I used Steve McQueen as a character in a movie and not as a real person."

But, I try real hard not to be a moron. So instead, I reply with this:

"Woah. I'm not into chick beating and I didn't know that. In fact, I didn't know Steve McQueen at all. But that's why in my example I used him as a character in a movie that a director was building and not as a real person."

See, it's all perspective... At the end of the day, when you argue or call some guy names on the internet, the end effect is actually the exact opposite of what you were shooting for. You never win the argument and you usually end up looking like whatever it was you were calling the other guy.

23. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

As Ryan said in his last sentence..."
    2. Never, never... no matter the situation... talk shit on the internet. I know it's hard sometimes... And no one is perfect... But the very instance you talk shit to someone on the internet, you lose McQueen credibility. In other words, you look like a moron.[/QUOTE]"

...& when you google a 10 or 15 year old thread up...you may have mellowed, but you'll still look like a moron.
    So most things you post in haste, anger, or just jokingly, are pretty much captured forever.
    So think of it like a selfie-pic, do you really want your boss, friends, kids, grandkids, etc to see you like that plastered all over the internet?

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

What's going on here, is this car talk shrink talk:confused:

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Yeah, I just quickly scanned the thread but I think Ryan is saying if we don't stop talking shit, Steve McQueen is going to come and kick our asses.

Seriously though, Ryan's rule #2 is a pretty good one for several reasons. I know I got sucked into a couple of virtual "fist fights" when I first joined, but now I think I've become a calmer, cooler, mellower "self". On the other side of the coin, you can't go through life being constantly offended by your fellow man or view yourself as a victim. Who needs the stress anyway?

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I didn't see any bullying on that thread. you have to remember you took one of the top 5 best looking cars ever and put the most hated tail lights of all time on it. you were bound to get negative opinions, and you don't even like them yourself.

27. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Yea, most of us are car guys and no when to keep our mouths shut;););););););););););););););););)

28. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I've dealt with the public in mass quantities for over thirty years n I turned 43 today. Learning to let stuff roll off your shoulders ain't easy at first but when you master it life rolls on in a smoother fashion. Ive befriended the biggest of "a" holes because they can tell who's a pushover & easy prey & they're really some ok fellas. You ain't gonna please everybody a must get that down, forget it n move on. Remember my motto " Everybody's normal till you get to know them". or should it be all egos are not created equal? Everybody needs to dirt track race it'll teach one to stand up for yourself. Talk about egos ! Ohh n I like a deck lid on an a model once saw it said "built to please me not you". Amen. Flux. Good topic.

29. raidmagic

raidmagic

The only thing I saw in that thread were people bashing his body work and panel alignment. He asked about taillights and people bashed his work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.