Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rain Gutter Sealant?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobss396, Apr 21, 2015.

1. I just got done picking all the calcified rain gutter sealer out of my '59 Ford. I still have to do some sanding and checking the gutters for straightness.

I'm looking for a 1-part sealer, preferably in a tube since I don't need a lot of it. I'm figuring that a few 5-oz tubes should handle it. I also have some areas over the windshield that need attention as well. The rear of the gutters have a down hill slope, so I want to avoid something runny. I was thinking of these two: 3M 08505 Fast 'n Firm or 3M 08531 Drip Chek.

If anyone has experience or has another suggestion, I am all ears.

Thanks, Bob

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My NAPA, Finish 1 dealer sells a nice bare metal seam sealer that comes in a few light colors and is paintable. Goes on with a standard caulking gun. You can then smear it around with your finger or a trowel as you wish. Once dry its "firm" but has some flex. Can be sanded and cleaned up for paint. If your surface is good and clean its the route I'd take

3. For a drip rail you want something that flows out...was there any corrosion in the drip rail? Was that adressed? Get any rust dealt with, spray it with a epoxy primer, for the ultimate look see if you can borrow an 8571 3M gun and use 3m 5887 it's for fixing bumpers but makes a awesome seam sealer

4. cshades

cshades
    from wi

When I did my Nova I used seam sealer from Napa. I used the caulk gun tube and laid down a cont bead. Then I wet my finger with mineral spirits and carefully smoothed out the sealer. Wiping my finger and using more mineral spirits as I went. I have a friend that does a lot of sink installs and etc. He is very anal about sealer around things and even he was impressed by how nice it came out. The mineral spirits keep the sealer from sticking to your finger and it dries up before you lay primer or paint over it.

5. Thanks for the help everyone. Probably going to NAPA tomorrow after work to see what they have. The gutters are both in good shape, only surface rust. Which I'll wire brush. I have some good SEM primer on hand as well.

6. If ya wanna go single component the 3m urethanes like 8362 are now approved for direct to metal..and work with a normal caulk gun. If your sem primer is an etch primer do not apply a seam sealer over it..etch has acid in it..acid eats away at things

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Seam sealer always shrinks as it dries. Smooth it down flat and it will crack and pull away, allowing leaks. Leave a bead and it won't.

8. Thanks again. I can prime later on after the sealer is down. Good tip on the mineral spirits too. I'll look into carving up a squeegee to get a nice fillet along both sides of the gutter.

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Im with cshades a wet finger will tool better than a cut down squeegee. Im in the carpentry trade and do my fair share of caulking. Tooling with a wet finger always does the trick.

10. That's what SHE said... but I'll definitely try it. I ordered a tube of the 3M 08505 and got both gutters completely cleaned out last night.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You know that when thru my dirty mind also but thought I would keep it to myself. Nothing better than when a wet finger and caulk are involved.