Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Ok I'll call tomorrow . It seemed odd to me that even in gear I could overpower the clutch at the crank bolt. Wasn't sure that was right. On a good note - got it spinning with the plugs out and oil pressure came up :rolleyes: Thinking Friday night will be loud :D

strokedstang331, allwilly and enloe like this.
  2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You shouldn't be able to over power it by hand even with -0- base. -0- is still about 800 lbs.

4. Tony has very powerful hands.

5. Think i heard it run all the way up here.......

6. Cabbage came over to help and what do ya know Tyler got all the plug wires right :D Sorry about the rotated video Russ doesn't always hold the camera straight. That's ok glad he came over for the fire up!

7. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

I wouldnt miss it!!! Good job Tony you busted ass and made it happen! Now edit that go pro footage with the house alarm shouting FIRE FIRE FIRE LOL!!!

GAOldsman likes this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

YeeeeeeeeeeeHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  9. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

If ya run into trouble getting it sorted out...don't hesitate to call Qauin. I fought my injection for a couple months with a "professional" setup, and Quain had me running in two phone calls.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  10. Congrats!!! Sounds friggin' awesome.

11. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

YOU GO BOY!!! F--- yeah fire in the hole. Nothing like hearing it run for the first time. Great progress on this thing this is a great build to watch

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Congrats!!!!! That is GRRRRREEEEEAT.

13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Did the neighbors think ALL HELL WAS BREAKING LOOSE.

loudbang likes this.
  14. There's got to be something he can't fix :rolleyes: glad I don't own any of that stuff. The clutch, the fuel injection and the whole wheels up thing is all new territory for me. Quain doesn't seem to tire of my dumb questions though :D

Kip if you don't mind me asking - what was wrong on your injection ? I plan to mount the O2 sensor bungs for the FAST oxygen sensors to see what its doing. (If they will work on an open header o_O)

Yeah the neighbor moved in a bout a month ago and he came running over all excited. He was diggin it. He says he wants to ride his Harley to Greer on Saturday. We did some bourbon shots to toast the startup. Can't beat that for a neighbor :cool: He has good taste too - this is what he brought over : http://whistlepigwhiskey.com/
    holy cow I just Googled that - its $170 a bottle :eek: didn't know that last night. He needs to switch to Rebel Yell so he can buy some car parts. ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, that's a good neighbor to have for a hot rodder, for sure!!!
    I'm up early to head to AMS and the ATL Motorama, as there's a "show within the show" for '40 Fords and I'm taking my coupe. When I registered Mon. I was #31 of just '40 Fords!

16. Before we moved we had some good neighbors. Come home late at night putting it in the garage with open headers and the only thing I heard was where was you at.
    Tony I have loved the build. Know that feeling you had when it fired. Cant wait to see it at Greer. Bourbon Hell Ya.
    And yes Quain is a book of knowledge with hands to match. He has always taken time to answer my questions.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  17. pila38

pila38

Spectacular build! Congrats on the startup.

Do you really care what I used to post this message?

18. This is the real first fire video - no time to edit it - so fast forward a bit. Thanks for the kudos! Been a long road to here, just a little further now :) DOM enjoy that 40 Ford! That is one sweet ride!

Rod Ari, enloe and Mac30 like this.
  19. HELL YEA! Congrats Brother!!!

20. Cool that Yukon Cornelius came over to help too.

Mac30 likes this.
  21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

23. Awesome, now I can hardly wait to see it move.

24. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

A massive well done
    Take your time to break it in right. You have built yourself a great engine.
    Its easy to rush now so take your time do each job once.
    Less haste more speed.great job!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I checked my notes. I set my idle bypass(up at the barrel valve) at 9psi and the pump bypass at 14psi. All you need is a small air compressor regulator and a few spare fittings, to adapt the brass housing that holds the shims and springs to the regulator. You can get different springs from Alky digger. This will at least get ha close if you run into problems.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  26. Sounds pretty good Tony cant wait to see it run. We have done a lot of playing around with pressures on the bypasses on mine and kips cars. I ended up using just some springs I got at the hardware store to change the pressure some of them I would just stretch out a little others I would just cut coils off to get the pressure I needed. And yes Quain was a huge help getting them sorted out so they were at least drivable.

Dog_Patch and II FUNNY like this.
  27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You're going to make it tony I just know it. Oh you're too lean, richen the barrel valve about 1 to 2 flats and that will idle it down also. Do it while it's running and you will start to hear the difference. (I'm assuming you have the butterflies synchronized) I'll help you with mid range at Greer if you get there early enough because it's hard to explain all the details by me typing it. wide open is easy thats just the main jet so start rich and work from there. Also I run enough pressure on the main bypass to where changing the main don't affect the idle, that way you don't have to change the barrel valve setting every time you change the main.

28. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

Oz, the Great and Powerful came to mind.

29. loudbang

loudbang

Love the smell of fresh header paint burning off on the first fire up... smells like VICTORY.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  30. Thanks for the injection info. Since time is short, might not start it again until till Quain is standing there. There are still some big punch list items to go. Saturday Tim (3dnsouth) made plans to drive 2 hours to come work all day, at 6am he txts me and asks "What are you doing for a headrest?" Me- "Ummm foam and electrical tape. ? " He says NO NO NO. Then he starts sending pics. - This is 6am Saturday

IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0998.JPG
    headrest.jpg
    :D:D:D Holy cow man. Raising the bar on the whole Quick N Dirty thing ;)

Kevs56 likes this.