Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Henderson Fifty One (removable HT shoebox)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Eric H, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks a lot! It will be off white I think.

59Fins likes this.
  2. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

Eric H likes this.
  3. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

That looks so good 4inch is a perfect chop!

Eric H likes this.
  4. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks! Started welding today and ran out of gas after five minutes. Back at it on the weekend.

5. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Good luck in the weekend i'l be back at mine to this weekend!

Eric H likes this.
  6. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So I decided to widen the frame 1.5" in order to drop it 4" strait down. It's starting to shape up.

daddio211, Olson and jakespeed63 like this.
  7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks great so far!

Eric H likes this.
  8. Eric H

Eric H

After some good advice from Rik warning me that this approach may leave my roof looking too fat and flat up top I will be cutting this up again lol. Back at it tonight I hope.

9. Torchie

Torchie

I saw his post about this on the CCC forum. All the respect in the world for Rik and his great eye for chops but having seen this type of chop done both ways I feel that it is all in the eyes of the beholder.
    What is equally important in weather or not your top looks Fat and Flat will be the shape of the top it's self..
    I think that before I went to cutting and redoing the frame I would get some wooden strips or metal rods and do a quick mock up of the top to really get a good idea.
    Just my 2 cents....
    Torchie

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Eric H and flynbrian48 like this.
  10. CadMad

CadMad

Good advice Torchie. I've been thinking bout this all morning and put my thoughts on the CCC. Prior to undoing what has been done . . .

Eric H and flynbrian48 like this.
  11. BRENT

BRENT

I'm not so sure if I would call this "good advice" but seriously Eric everything looked really good from my eye. Its easy to listen to everyone out there in computer land but I hope you understand that in then end of the day 98 percent of the people in this world don't even understand what we are doing. I wouldn't change any of the work that has been done..........blaze a new trail that is not biased based on what someone else thinks, majority here seem to like it...just saying

Eric H likes this.
  12. It can be hard to see from photos taken at some strange angles due to lack of space in the garage.Best thing is to mock it up and take it outside and look at it from a distance of 30 feet or so. Walk around it and have a look from every angle and don´t rush. Let the wiev sink in.This is a tricky part of the build but oh so important that it gets right and right in this case are in the eyes of the beholder so I will say follow your gut. As I said over at CCC there´s a risk it might look fat but it´s your choice .

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Eric H likes this.
  13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

^^^ Exactly. Standing well back and eyeballing is the only way to make it look right. Make up your side bows, then start mocking up cross bows with conduit until you get the crown of the roof to look right. My '56 Caddy had a 4" chop, and I widened the w/s frame. While I had a folding top instead of a lift off, it took a lot of re-arching the '68 Catalina top bows to make it look like it hadn't been "stepped on". Conduit and lots of masking tape are your friends when making a top!

Eric H and Peanut 1959 like this.
  14. Eric H

Eric H

15. CadMad

CadMad

Could u widen it 3/4 of an inch?

haha kidding.

Eric H likes this.
  16. Eric H

Eric H

Lol, I was about to scream.

daddio211 likes this.
  17. Wow, that's a lot of work but this guy out in computerland thinks you made the right decision. When you chop a sedan you don't widen the roof, you pie cut the corners.

18. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

think it looks really good interesting to se how its gonna turn out! Keep it up

19. Eric H

Eric H

I have always pictured this thing in black but lately I have been picturing it the same color as my wrangler. It is 2013-15 anvil grey that is often a blue color that I love because it is one of the few colors these days that has no pearl or flake. Thoughts? image.jpg

20. alchemy

alchemy

Sorry, but I can't think of a worse color to paint a custom. Oh, wait, this is April 1st, right?

Eric H likes this.
  21. Eric H

Eric H

Lol, maybe I have inhaled too much welding smoke.

22. alchemy

alchemy

It needs something rich. A deep burgundy or green, or maybe a blue from the depths of the ocean. Not a blah gray like it sat next to the coal plant all day.

23. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

when it comes to colour, I like to mock the car up on photoshop and have a good look at the options before I make a choice. Colour is always hard to pick. Plus you have a very period correct car, so I would be looking at colour palettes pre 1955 from all makes
    lincoln's always had good colour palettes:
    [​IMG]

On a side note, have you found anyone to do the top yet? You may want to try boat upholstery places too, they tend to do alot of top/canvas work

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Eric H likes this.
  24. Slopok

Slopok

Nothing looks better than a flawless black paint job on a custom car. Black will never go out of style or be considered dated. Besides if you ever decide to flame it you will have the perfect base.;)

Ltorch and Eric H like this.
  25. vwdave30

vwdave30

Yep it needs to be black

Eric H likes this.
  26. Torchie

Torchie

In my opinion. Telling someone what color to paint their car is like telling someone what to name their child. As has been pointed out Eric is building a period custom and as we know those tended to be be Jewel tone colors. I for one am getting tired of seeing dark green customs but if that is what he wanted then so be it.
    I personally have always liked Dove grey and think that it would be great as a color. To each his own.....
    Torchie

Eric H likes this.
  27. vwdave30

vwdave30

Well he asks for our thoughts which is good. we can give him our thoughts which might get the gears turnin in his head and lead to somethin better than he first invisioned. Nobody is really telling him what color to paint it. He can paint it bright pink with a big neon green swoosh on the side i sure hope he dont lol. He asked for our thoughts he aint gotta listen to any of us when it comes time to paint it. Judging by the car im sure he has his own mind and will pick somethin classy. Thats just my opinion on askin about paint

Eric H likes this.
  28. Eric H

Eric H

I like all of these!!!

29. Ltorch

Ltorch

If you like all of them mix them all and see what colour you come up with ;)

30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,its your car and you can paint it what ever you want to.But you asked our opinion about the grey.
    Well,my GMC truck is grey too and the color looks fine on that thing.But i wouldnt use it with my shoebox..

Eric H likes this.