Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Impala Hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gallogiro, Jun 13, 2013.

1. gallogiro

gallogiro

hey john, yea its been a while, but not asleep. hope everythings been good with you. but im back, still working on this just rain was a big issue weathers been bad for a while so i spent some time with family till it got better its finally clearing up the rains aren't coming as much so I came back. also got side tracked been driving the hell out of my 48 now that I finished it its a daily driver. my schedule changed I train in the mornings now every day and done by 1pm so it cut into the time I had to work on this but im making up for it now just working on it later into the night. hitting it hard again now, today was first full day since I got back

where I left off, front end was off because I need to redo the firewall. when I had them out, wasn't happy with how I was going to fly the engine compartment. with the new paint job its getting and firewall redone this wasn't going to do this is how they looked earlier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looked good first time I painted and threw in but no way am I putting them back in looking like that especially after the repainted body and firewall and all the chrome back on. so today I started to redo them. if you notice the radiator core support looked like shit. took it down to bare metal and saw the top of it was wavy and so was the outer lip. if its getting new paint and clear coat that's going to show off in the shine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not wavy any more. flat as a board, outer lip too. now it will look nice with the new paint itll look smooth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ready for primer, using etching primer that has some rust inhibitor to seal up some of the the rust that's just baked on on the battery side of the core

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the wheel wells had very small dings and dents and lines in metal but what looked really bad was the holes I fucked up and drilled to hold the wires and some fuse boxes

[​IMG]

sealed and filled them all up, this is where I left off for tonight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

primer mid day, and if its dry before sun goes down ill spray basecoat and clear. project is back on track, build is back on =)

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I was watching a lowrider movie on Hulu yesterday and saw your interior. Thought it looked familiar. Car looks great.

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

keep at it, looks good. I love impalas.

4. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks inked. when filming it was about 90% done just needed interior put in. but what happened is that when I bought the paint I went by eye, didn't use color code. looked right in the can, but sprayed and dried a darker blue. car was painted, but not the right color compared to the original color it was way off. so because of my mistake I had to take some steps back. although i was concerned about the original color I wanted a bit of custom touches, make mine a bit different from the rest and didn't want to park next to myself if you know what I mean so I also went back and redid the roof and trunk a metalflake white. also maybe, just maybe, might have the headliner airbrushed with a pinup girl. not a full mural but a nice size one centered in it. but either way went back a bit for the better, will look better in the end than it originally would have =)

and thanks oldrelics, just hope I finish it by summer that would be perfect. once the build is done this thread will stay alive with photo shoots and cool shows

5. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

Hey Reyes,
    good to see you're back at it! At least with my coupe color being black there's not much to go wrong.
    I haven't had much time on the car either as work and family take priority. But I have got a new interior for the car as I figured that with the outside looking pretty good I needed to get a better interior, so I ordered a Ciadella kit last month and it arrived a couple weeks ago in five boxes via Fedex!
    Very nice work, exactly as original. I'm keen to get busy with that. Photos to follow.
    Your firewall will first class. The lady at Ciadella says they sell more '59 Impala kits these days than any other car or model.
    Cheers, John
    p.c. weather here is just starting to change. But our winter is a joke, it never gets really cold. I do have a cousin in Chicago and he tells me how cold it can get there!

6. gallogiro

gallogiro

o wow cool! quality kit huh, they are the best. yea 59 is really popular now here in the u.s., it always was but now at shows its the IT car for chevrolet, belle of the ball if you know what I mean. it wont get saturated though, not enough 59 projects out there like other years and models. that and takes alot of time and money when you do find one. install the kit yourself, they are really easy you will just need hog clips and hog clip pliers they are cheap on ebay. i can walk you through it and there is also alot of videos on youtube on kit installation. you might need hair dryer, warm up some areas that might have few wrinkles. don't use heat gun its too strong youll melt the vinyl easy hair dryer is safer still be careful with it. I also use a clothes steam thing that works too. last resort, do the seats and if you see any wrinkles anywere let it sit in the sun for a few hours and problem solved. same for the headliner the sun smoothes it out itself.

yea life happens we tend to take time off but as long as we are able to pick up where we left off when possible its fine =)

7. gallogiro

gallogiro

also quick tip. kits are made snug and tight fitting to avoid wrinkles and loose material. when trying to fit it on, cover the foam/padding with a large trash bag. itll slide on easier and once you are done pull and rip the bag out

8. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

Hi, thanks for those tips! I do intend to fit the kit myself, I already have hog clips and pliers. Cheers, John

9. gallogiro

gallogiro

cool =) post pics id love to see them done. later if I ever decide to go for a different look I plan to buy the kit and go with red interior but that will be a while from now I plan to enjoy all my hard work

im thinking about going different tires. bigger with bigger white wall maybe. these are 14 560 with 2 inch whitewall I think it is. I know it wont go as low with bigger but think a bigger whitewall might look better. been sleeping on it so not sure yet

and now my fenders are bare metal. they are pretty straight these wont take long to prep for paint im glad I did it now I can spray it along with the rest of the front end parts. it looks like it has patches, its just traces of primer that was left, when I hit it with my d/a sander itll all come off quick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope to have it all ready for primer by tomorrow night, I should be. then by Monday night have base and clear sprayed on

10. This is a nice build thread. I'm enjoying watching your progress.

11. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks saxman, glad you are enjoying it im having a lot of fun doing it. its work, but i find myself laying down going to sleep hoping it was morning already im anxious to get more done especially the paint process

anyone ever use this stuff to prep metal and convert pinhole rust? phosphoric acid. I bought it and was told spray it on, leave for 30 min, and get it off the bare metal and its ready for paint

[​IMG]

i did it, but got all confused i kept getting different answers on how to use it. bottle says spray it on then wipe off with damp rag and let dry then primer. everyone else says get it off the bare metal because primer wont stick to the parts where i left the acid residue leave only where it turned black where the rust converted. bottle says wipe do not spray rinse with hose, but wont come off bare metal with just wiping. so im all fucked up and confused, i sprayed it it wasn't coming off now had a brownish/red film

[​IMG]

so i wasted doing that just hitting it with my d/a 80 grit back to shiny gray metal. anyone know how this works? would like it if i could have done it right and left how it should have been and worked

since i went back to bare metal, i cleaned it with wax and grease remover. you have to because the oils from your hand, the rubber gloves touching it when using the acid, any traces of acid left and any adhesive glue from the d/a sanding disc, any of that left behind will later fish eye or cause a reaction in the paint. some happen right when you spray, others few weeks later. stuff to clean it is cheap anyways a few bucks a can

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i know its easier to skim coat everything with filler and block and mold, but i like having as little filler as possible i don't want a bondo car if you know what i mean. i know its more work working with metal than working with filler but i like it better that way. spraying 2K primer, this one is cool is direct to metal high build primer

[​IMG]

with primer, you can get the 35 dollar a gallon can, or spend a bit more this one was 80. the 35 dollar a gallon can is mixed with reducer. the more expensive ones with activators. i learned the hard way with other cars in the past. the cheap primer is too thin, doesn't stick and flakes after a year, and the places you used filler it bleeds through which means it turns the base coat color wherever there is filler. if its whites it turns yellow, if its blues it turns green and reds go orange. you can use sealer, but you are then doing two jobs the one better primer does in one.

so im here now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

doing this on my own, want it documented i painted it myself when it was first painted i had someone do the bodywork but the painter let me paint it but few people didn't believe i did it so here it is, no help not even someone there to keep me company or take pictures. ill post videos when i do the firewall im making a stand for my phone so i can start making videos of work being done. i go train right now but in 2 hours will spray the wheel wells and tomorrow the firewall, all will be primered and Friday morning it gets the base and clear coat. if anyone can chime in on any info on the phosphoric acid id highly appreciate it

12. That's great prep and primer work.
    You should be very happy with the results!

13. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks caddy, working on it now hope to be done today and post more pictures

where this stuff dripped off my glove and didn't wash it off quick. thought it was in a plastic bottle so it wasn't corrosive. I was wrong 3 days and its still burning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. gallogiro

gallogiro

more work done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

getting closer to paint, its what im waiting for

15. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Normally the bad stuff IS in plastic bottles. Be careful.

59's looking good, keep on it. Cesar

16. gallogiro

gallogiro

I thought if it was bad it would be in a metal bottle not plastic it would burn right through it. was wrong. its cause I let it sit there long enough to dry, then the sweat made it wet again it was hot.

couldn't do anything today, too damn windy hope tomorrow it gets better

17. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I missed the explanation. Are you repainting it because there was a problem with the paint, or because you want a different color or flake?

18. Outstanding work. Great thread. I've been trying to keep up when I can.

19. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks 206, glad youre enjoying the build =)
    its a long process, now I see why shops charge so much to do body and paint. its not just sand the metal, prime and shoot paint and that's it. I had to sand the metal, work the metal, prep the metal, primer the metal, block sand the primer, wet sand the primer to get the block sanding scratches out, then paint. that's where it is here, wet sanded primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and komet when I bought the paint I matched the original color by eye not by color code. it mixed exact in the can, but when sprayed it got darker, a blue uncommon to classic cars looked like minivan blue. it looked nice, but then thought I want it correct and the original blue is a nicer blue. see for yourself =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ofcourse I still need to wet sand and buff to remove the orange peel then will shine like flat glass. off to the fenders now =)

20. gallogiro

gallogiro

now start the fenders, wet sanded and blocked so smooth the primer looks like the paint job

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fenders have been painted actually since sunday, I just want to post after pics after its buffed and moldings back on. hopefully by tomorrow night

21. gallogiro

gallogiro

ok here we go, im about to blow up the page with pictures but its to show exactly how it came out

when I started, wet sanded up to 2000 grit wet sand paper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and polished the trims, when I finished this is how it turned out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. gallogiro

gallogiro

23. gallogiro

gallogiro

and how it looks in the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a video

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  24. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I see, much better and more period looking color. And might I say, you are one of the hardest working DIY'ers I have ever seen.

-KK

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

WOW that is pretty spiffy for a driveway job. It's a real nice job no matter where you did it. Maybe I missed it back at the beginning do you do bodywork as your job?

26. gallogiro

gallogiro

thank you komet, but you see why I redid it? totally different and a whole lot better. the first time was my first time spraying, so it wasn't as good as I wanted it. Im a beginner but I knew I could do better and I did, and now has correct color code for the year and make and is a much nicer blue. and thank you, I try my best but it comes naturally I truly love classic cars its in my blood, everything about them from the cars themselves and that's all cars not just chevys, the designs of the cars, the history, the comradery between fellow car guys down to the smell of the exhaust fumes filling the car as you drive. God knows it relaxes me, even now that im having troubles in my life right now. nothing i cant overcome with time but its therapy for me. even when im feeling down I just picture the day im done and take it out to the drive in or to sonic for a burger and it makes me smile. and im happy with a tool in my hand, running a sewing machine and now with a spray gun in my hand as well. the next time I post pictures will be about a week, the firewall and radiator core will be painted and the front end (doghouse) will be assembled and ready to drop in. then after that wrap up the body

Bowtie Coupe and Saxman like this.
  27. gallogiro

gallogiro

thanks loudbang. yea not bad for not even having a garage or booth. really only problem is bugs, they love clearcoat. if you look good, right by where the headlights go the side spear trim kinda points at it on the fender theres a small dark spot. that's jimmy the mosquito that came in for a closer look when I sprayed the clear coat and is now permanently encased in the paint job.

and yes I did all the body work myself but no my job WAS a dj for a strip club, put that behind me about 3 weeks ago, 7 years too long. doesn't matter what the pay is, its a dead end. no benefit from trying to make a career out of it and that would be a bad life choice. that and the drama, God am I glad I never have to be around that anymore leaving that scene is a blessing. now I work from home doing jobs on other cars, nothing major like complete restorations even though I been asked, but jobs I can bust out on weekends like interior seats, woodgrain paint jobs for car dashes and window frames and mechanical work. taking this time to finish this car, after I will use it as a rolling resume and look for a job restoring cars at a shop. when they ask what can I do, I say I made this. if not, do full restorations at home =) but for now focusing on finishing this

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

29. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

Hi Reyes,
    Looking fantastic; that fender is first rate, bug or no bug!
    Classic Impalas never go out of style, though I am looking forward to when SUV's go out of style for sure. They're taking over down under. Right now I'm putting the new interior in, actually fitting the sound deadened to the floor befor carpet. That deadened sure works a treat, I'm glad I'm doing it. Door and quarter panels worth the money, nicely made. Photos soon. There's a guy here in Sydney selling a Nice looking '59 impala 'vert., 348, seems he bought it a mecum auction late 2013 for around 62K and is no asking

30. Aussie Cruiser

Aussie Cruiser
    from Australia

Oops! I bumped the send button on my laptop. Anyhow he wants about 98 large for it now. Way way over the top as far as I know. These cars will keep going up so all I can say is carry one with your car(s). Cheers, john