Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 firewall feet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nobby, Mar 31, 2015.

1. nobby

nobby

hello
    -firewall feet
    -is there another cast type bit that sits further back 'that I can't see on pic's on a google search'

2. F&J

F&J

The only "cast" piece near the feet, is the side bracket, riveted to the lower inside cowl on both sides. Probably a forged piece, or cast steel?

A bolt goes through those and into a threaded hole in the top of the frame....this is how the cowl is tightened to the firewall and it's rubber seal

3. The original feet are stamped steel. HRP

[​IMG]

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If my memory is right I remember someone making a flat reproduction firewall in maybe the 70's that had some form of cast feet???

5. Gary,your right, Bitchin' made a aluminum firewall with aluminum feet but they closed the doors a few years ago..I think I read somewhere that Dennis O'Brien bought out their molds and is now offering a aluminum firewall and the feet.HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

As said the cast piece is riveted to the body and are not part of the "feet"

7. alchemy

alchemy

Those little L brackets riveted to the cowl band are forged, not cast. I've welded up some that had damage, no problems.

8. nobby

nobby

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

yes those bits, another thing I have to find.

what is bugging me is.....
    I am going to put a 32 firewall in a 34 truck, - I was under the impression that there were captive nuts in the 'band' - not so?
    so the only thing holding it to the cowl is the hinge n bracket and the downwards of the little 'L' brackets - no bolts around the band

anyone on here selling the feet on ebay

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  9. rexrogers

rexrogers

The cowl band foot was originally riveted on. Brookville sell silicon bronze ones or UPAC has steel ones I think they are about 100 for the set.

10. alchemy

alchemy

If you are converting a 34 truck, you will also need the band inside the cowl lip. Brookville sells those as well, and maybe even UPAC would sell them separate. A stock 32 firewall won't fit correctly without the band in there. Also need the rubber gasket that fits between them.

J & D likes this.
  11. nobby

nobby

Hello alchemy,
    yes - I do believe I have the band, as I have the rubber gasket there.
    thanks
    just need feet.

12. alchemy

alchemy

13. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hello Alchemy,
    so I don't have that channel - IF I have the original rubber still on my firewall
    so, when I drill the spot welds from this and remove the 34 firewall,
    [​IMG]

I need another stiffner channel under the cowl channel
    iis it simply a u-channel, can I simply whizz around the 34 firwall and leave it proud 1/4'' and tap it over
    I think I need a close up on a stock 32 firewall in a cowl.

http://brookvilleroadster.com/store/cowl-section/32-24-cab-back-patch-4-feet-long/
    typo

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, just drill the spotwelds holding the 34 firewall in, and the 32 stiffener goes right under there. Don't need to trim anything off. The stiffener is kind of a U channel with very short legs. It really should be in there if a guy wants the parts to fit like they should. If you don't use it, don't expect the 32 firewall to fit like it's supposed to. Or get a hood aligned.

Any original 32 has a stiffener you could use. Do you know anybody with a really rough cowl you could salvage the stiffener from? Even if it's rusty and pitted it should work OK. Just blast it clean and weld it in, nobody will see it except for about a 1/16" of the front edge.