Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods rocket wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hugh m, Mar 31, 2015.

1. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Been looking for an appropriate set of front wheels for a little bantam altered...the Rocket Wheels Launcher spoked wheels would work ,but just discovered they were made in China...anyone know of something made here?

2. Weld Wheels are still made here I think. Maybe they have something that will work for you.

hugh m likes this.
  3. That shouldn't be a surprise so are Cragars. What the isn't made in China?

51 BIRD likes this.
  4. Phil1934

Phil1934

5. I still carve something out in the garage that isn't made in china from time to time, that is not to say that I am not using Chinese materials though. :D

I still remember when everything was made in japan, we used to get that damned Japanese steel what a lot of crap that stuff was.

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That looks like it! Thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. It's a sad day for our hobby. Try to avoid putting anything on my cars of motorcycles from China but sometimes it just can't be avoided. When given a chance I don't mind spending extra for products made in the USA.

JimSibley likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

even Halibrand alloy wheels were made in China. Real Rodder Wheels made in USA

9. Steel made in china.
    Equipment made in china.
    Cutters made in china.
    Hand tools made in china.
    Sweat & blood mostly made from high fructose corn syrup.
    Labor done in a USA backyard garage by solitary American.
    :D

Ps. The backyard garage, if mortgaged is probably held by china.

GreenMonster48 and tylercrawford like this.
  10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just ordered a pair of American Rebel altered wheels, thanks for all the replies, never knew about them before today. Nice to be able to buy American.

11. They were made in Kansas for a while. :D

12. Let us know how you like them. I just checked out their site and they have some really great looking stuff.

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The American Rebel wheels came last night. (I had a pair of Palimides wheels on a Lyndwood altered I was building in 1970 or so...cost $200 for the pair with Michelins, and were very light, just for comparison...) These use lug nuts (supplied along with stems), was surprised to see how heavy duty they were, but these days you see guys using them on full bodied gassers etc. Don't know who did the first set of the "modern" 10 spoked wheels, but it's clever the way they included room for the lugs while keeping the look...the backs of the spokes are flat, which may be an issue on open wheeled cars, but it also leaves space for "Made in America" which is pretty cool. They are beautifully machined, and the hub caps are plain machined without some dumb logo . For $190 each they are a great buy, same price as the offshore stuff. Check the price of true spindle wheels and there is even more to like, especially if you aren't willing to spend $1500 for front wheels and tires.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

They look just like in the catalog...will post some before and after shots when I get em on the car.....

16. JimSibley

JimSibley

I got a set of rockets for my coupe. Nice rims and a good quality wheel. I am going to get rebel wheels for my next car. I will compare when I have them both. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429410662.347016.jpg

17. uncle buck

uncle buck

I believe Juan from American Rebel's history dates all the way back to working at or having other ties to Palimides wheels - but I'm not positive. I seem to remember him saying he has been in the wheel manufacturing business for 40-50 years

18. I like what I see with American Rebel! Thanks for the link

19. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Juan is the guy who helped me....

20. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Here they are on the car...not identical to real Palimides wheels, but they end up being a grand or so cheaper, and this car isn't totally authentic anyway. I like em.

Attached Files:

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Here it is..