Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 royal build, or how to build on a budget and not get put on the couch by your wife.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Cmac79, Mar 29, 2015.

1. 73RR

73RR

Some good thoughts above. Not only is a 55 Dodge 6-volt, it is also Positive ground......
    As noted, any EarlyHemi (except for the 51-53 331), or any 'A' series (pre-62) will be a much easier bolt-in than anything else.
    If you choose to swap in something else the you will also need a new rear axle so that you get an e-brake. As George noted, the stock rear is a PITA to do brake work and an Explorer 8.8 fits nicely with a little fab work.
    You can run 12-volts through most of the car as is, but the fuel gauge will need 6v so use a resistor of some sort.

I'd suggest playing with the 270 before yanking it out.

whtbaron likes this.
  2. Heavy cables and clean grounds.

A friend had a '53 merc that was still 6V not too many years back and his headlights were yellow pretty much all the time. He was thinking about 12v just for that reason and I said well lets check the grounds first. I pulled the ground wires loose and cleaned them up, he fired it up and turned the lights on, they would still yellow out at idle but once it started to rev they were fine just like anyone else's lights. he spent the next week cleaning and or replacing any other ground or other connection on the vehicle and after you couldn't tell that it was 6V without looking at the battery and charging system.

If I just happened to own an early hemi or a spare poly of some sort they would be my most obvious options for the engine swap. But if not and I didn't know where to land one cheap I would be searching for other solutions.

That said like 73RR says I would not write off the existing engine until I knew that it would not fill the bill for me. Sometimes it is just a matter of getting one started and more often then not a stuck motor isn't anything more than a screwed up starter.

Oh hey 73RR I just noticed that you are from central ory-gun and not from Oray-gone. My great granddad did the Oregon trail after the war, initially landed in Ella then went on to homestead in Wamic. my family has always been of the ory-gun persuasion. Don't find too many people from back here that say it that way.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. Cmac79

Cmac79

Thanks for all the tips guys.
    I'm gonna try and go pick the car up today and I'll know a lot more about what I have then.
    Good to know I have a wealth of info to get her on the road .
    Many thanks

I figure no matter what, for the price I paid I came out ahead even if I just flip the car.
    I've got the fever again though after selling my last project and need some busted knuckle therapy .

4. More than a wealth of info, there are a lot of Texans here, no doubt someone close can lend you a had if you get yourself painted into a corner. ;)

5. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

If you have all the components there, I would just run it 6v. Would be the easiest and cheapest way and if it's squared it will run fine.

That said, put a socket on the crank pulley and see if you can turn the engine. If not, you're probably going to be pulling the engine. If the engine rotates the problem is probably with your starting motor or wiring. Once you verify motor is free and get the battery in give the starter a couple hefty whacks with a mallet as it's probably stuck and assuming the wiring is good it should turn over. If it's not flowing power that's easy to check with continuity tests.

That's what I would do before pulling the entire motor anyway.

6. Cmac79

Cmac79

I learned that lesson on a 39 Dodge.
    How do I keep ending up with all this dodge stuff?

7. Phttttt :p
    Nothing wrong with dodge stuff, I personally prefer Plymouth stuff but , . .

The only thing that will cause you a real problem is if you get caught up in the whole restorer mind set. if you keep a hot rodders point of view the old car be fun. If you get caught up in the whole resto thing it is just going to be a pain in the ass. I personally think that the car would be cool to the bone with a 413 wedge in it. Maybe not something out of someone's old race shop just a close to stock or stock single 4 motor. But it could be just as cool with a big block ford or a small block chevy it is just a matter of what you want and how bad you want it I suppose. ;)

8. Cmac79

Cmac79

The resto thang ain't my bag.
    I know you guys don't like the "r" word ,but that's my style.
    Simple. Functional. Affordable.

9. The "r" word can turn itself into the "t" word when done right. As long as you aren't welding skulls and doodads to it. then it is just an old heap and we like old heaps. ;)

10. 327Eric

327Eric

Don' t worry about 6 volt for now. Disconect the generator and ignition system from the harness. Use a 12 volt battery, a ford solenoid and a starter button wire it in,negative ground, and start from there. Only a few bucks for parts if you don't already have them(assuming you have a 12 volt battery on hand)

11. Cause Dodge stuff is cheap ;)

Tire shop (chain store) busted some of the studs with the old ratatatat gun on my brothers Chrysler. Finally the oldest employee walked by and told them why..

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Don't fly off the handle. Wait till you get the car home and can work on it. Take out the plugs, squirt some oil in the cylinders and see if you can turn the engine by hand. Before you try turning, take off the valve covers and oil up the rocker arms and valves. Take a small hammer and lightly tap the valve end of the rockers. They should bounce back if the valves are not stuck. If a valve is stuck oil it and free it up before you turn the engine, this will save bending the pushrods.

If the engine will turn over 9 times out of 10 you can get it running.

There is nothing wrong with leaving it stock for the time being. 6 volts electrics work fine.

Worst case, the engine needs work. Chances are the cost won't be much different between rebuilding your old engine and installing a different one.

But, if you want to put in a different engine, you will probably have to change the transmission and rear axle as well. It might be possible to fit a 318 to the old trans with a little finagling.

Is it a manual trans or auto?

13. Cmac79

Cmac79

It's the auto with the lever on the dash.

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

This. A 6 volt system works just fine when everything is in good condition. So you would need to make sure to go through the cables and grounds to make sure it's all in good shape. If the cable is corroded inside it might not start even though the engine is fine.

I'd see if it would turn over with a 12 volt battery. If it doesn't it isn't going to turn over without some work. If it does you can decide to do a full 12 volt conversion or go through the 6 volt system.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Hey, that's cool - that's a trait all '55 Mopars have and it's one year only.

As said, for simplicity's sake, work on getting the 270 turning over and keep the electrical system 6v. That little Mopar engine has plenty of guts to keep your Dodge moving. Hopefully there's nothing terminal inside.

This is coming from a guy that swapped a small block Ford into a '57 Plymouth. ;) Good luck with your new ride.

16. Cmac79

Cmac79

So..
    My buddy with a trailer had court today he says.
    He would call and we'd go scoop up the new G ride...
    Called him a couple times.
    Straight to voicemail. We know what that means!

Haha
    I'm hunting for a trailer.

17. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

I have seen engines that the owner thought were stuck when the problem was that the start was stuck and engaged into the flywheel and the engine was not stuck, with a new starter installed the engine turned over just fine. Some thing to think about...

18. LOL I out an AMC 6 in a '53 Effie once. Lots of us sinners out here. :D
    If the little dodge mill is a good one its a keeper and if its not there are plenty of other motors that will move the little hooptie down the road. ;)

19. Cmac79

Cmac79

Maybe I'll pick up an LS1 just to rattle some Mopar guys cages!! ;)

20. Not sure on the spelling-- but he's in the Hooscow!

21. Cmac79

Cmac79

I'm thinking so!
    Damn the luck.

22. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I have some basic questions. Is the 270 a hemi or a poly? They are equal, performance wise but at this point the poly is more interesting. It appears that it is an automatic tranny car. If so that could be a potentially expensive problem as those were not overly reliable and now are a real headache to rebuild. An A727 adapter from one of the HAMB vendors would solve that.
    1955 6 volts, 1956 12 volts.

23. Cmac79

Cmac79

It appears to be the poly. I'm assuming the hemi would have the typical plug wires through the valve covers?
    I'll have to check out that adaptor.
    I'm itching to get this damn car and see what I'm working with mechanically

24. Well shit.....if you were close I'd bring a trailer and pick it up for ya, I'd even stick around and help ya get it running over a bottle of whiskey! But I guess I'll have to keep watching this thread to see how you make out.

25. Cmac79

Cmac79

Thanks for the offer !
    It's the thought that counts !

26. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

I have no idea of your mechanical skills and will not pass judgement if you are not in a position to pull the engine. I was in the custom engine machining business for many years and if you get the engine out and put it in an engine stand it is easy to see what is causing it not to turn. I have seen simple fixes such as the flywheel or flex plate bolts being too long and hitting the back of the block. Also, when the heads are removed the concition of the cylinders and heads can be visually checked. some emery paper and penetrating can go a long way in removing rust. a "Blue Wrench": (Heat) is also your friend and if you start with a propane torch or Mapp gas aluminum will not melt. Digital pictures are your ally especially when it comes time to reassemble the engine.- keep me posted if you have any questions. Just do not start beating on parts to free it up.because you may need to remove any piston & rods that are not locked up.

27. Cmac79

Cmac79

Thanks RJ!
    I'm a 5/10 when it comes to tearing shit down and fumbling to get it back together ;)

The biggest thing about rebuilding this motor is the money for parts. The master kit I saw was 1500 bucks.
    I can put anything back together with enough literature and help from the old heads on the interwebs.
    I feel pretty good about this motor being ok though.
    Wishful thinking or instinct?
    We shall see soon enough!

I can't thanks y'all enough for the help. One of the reasons I love hot rods is the community.

28. Welp, the car is a 55 dodge 4 door..........not a super desirable, rare collector car. Here's how I'd approach the situation, not that you asked. If the little 270 didn't free-up in a week or so, I'd pop it outta there with it's transmission and set them on a pallett to be inspected when you feel like it. I'd slap a common 350 or even a 305 chevy with a 350 turbo in the hole with an aftermarket aluminum universal radiator. I'd also swap in a ford 8.8 or a 9 inch or even an 8 inch rear so I could drive the car this summer and enjoy it. I wouldn't get real deep into it this year but a patch job on the wiring may be all it needs electrically.
    If you still want to go back to MoPar power at the end of the summer, you could build the engine if it's any good.
    I did exactly this with a 49 ford coupe I owned and had a blast with the car over the summer. Put a lot of miles on it with no problems. Heh, somebody else wanted the car at the end of the summer and had a pile-o-money to spend..... I moved on.

29. Cmac79

Cmac79

Yea that's my thought exactly.
    Get her rolling.
    So , what is the issue with using this rear end and getting a drive shaft built meet up with a turbo 350 sitting behind a 350 for example?

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How many miles on the car? If the hood was on, the air filter was on, and it looks like the car was in the dry part of Texas (not the Gulf Coast) then it is very unlikely to be badly siezed up.

As I said before, if I can get an engine like that turning over it is practically a certainty I can get it running.

And if the block is not cracked or the rod sticking thru the block, it may not cost as much to rebuild it as you think.

However if the engine is shot it may be possible to use a newer engine. The trans bolt pattern is the same as the newer 318 and 360. But the flywheel and crankshaft interface is different.

Up to 1962 the crankshaft flange stuck out far enough to put bolts through, and fasten the flywheel on with nuts and bolts. After 1962 the flange snuggled up to the block and you screwed the bolts into threaded holes in the flange.

Maybe 73RR or one of the other more experienced members can tell us if there is an adaptation to put your flywheel and torque converter on a newer engine.

By the way your car would have the 2 speed Powerflite trans that came before the 3 speed Torqueflite. This was a very good and reliable trans but only 2 speeds. A smooth trans for everyday use but not so hot for performance.