Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Body mount bolt size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33WIRE, Mar 30, 2015.

1. 33WIRE

33WIRE

Can anyone tell me the original bolt diameter used on a 32 Ford coupe. I know anything will work , want to know what Henry used on all the major bolt holes. thanks...Greg

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Don't know without going home and pulling one, but obviously you are a Deuce Detail Guy, first class...
    So two tips:
    1. Nacewicz...http://www.fordscript.com/ford_bolts/catalogs/2015EV8FORDBOLTS.pdf
    Makes nearly every bolt you can imagine, with good detail and original finish. No bright Zinc with 3 lines and 'China" stamped on top...

2. Get the '32 resto book set from V8 club...it's pricey, like $75 books, but you will consider that the best money you ever spent. Exhaustive detail on everything down to the last cotter pin.

3. Get the '28-32 chassis parts catalog, readily available in reprint. After most parts they list the fasteners and washers, keyed to a descriptive list in the back giving dimensions and finish of each piece.

Nacewicz '32 kits...he does not give sizes here...
    BODY Body to frame mounting hardware; kits include all carriage and hex bolts, nuts, washers, and 1/8’ rubber bushings (1937-40 kits only). Hardware finished in cadmium or Ford S-2 as original: D-510 1932 passenger cars with muffler outlet clamp/bracket $ 24.95/pkg (one-piece early type) attaching to upper end of running board support bracket. D-511 1932 passenger cars with muffler outlet clamp and bracket $ 24.95/pkg (two-piece type) attached to lower end of running board support bracket. D-512 Late 1932 coupes and roadster with springs on rear $ 27.95/pkg most body bolts.

3. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

When we tore apart my dad's original deuce tudor it had 3/8-24 bolts holding the body to the frame.

4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

3/8 x 24 carriage bolts were in my sedan. Henry only used fine threads. The holes in the chassis are 1/2 on most I have built. I have seen some that were 7/16 also.

5. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

For what its worth, every original '32 ford I ever tore apart had thin gauge "tin" bushing like things in each body mount hole. They had a small shoulder on the top and were pushed into the hole before the body went on. I have never seen a source for these and don't know the exact purpose of them at the time of production.