Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical whats the front axle that has the threaded boss in it for the track locator

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nobby, Mar 30, 2015.

1. nobby

nobby

are they the ones that are 47 inch wide
    also..
    those batwings for hairpins...
    when the flat bottomed ones came out, is there now a key in them for the perches slot -
    and does it say on the blister pack for 32 - or model a

/\ I have the first ones

thank you

2. Maybe a photo would help.OR a better description of what you are asking..I have never seen an I-beam with threaded boss on it...what are you calling a "Track Locator"??

3. Jibs

Jibs

4. R Pope

R Pope

Do you mean the '48 axle that has holes for tube shock mounts?

5. nobby

nobby

Hello all,
    yes - I think I may be thinking of something else
    IF I remember there was a front axle and it had a thredded boss in it,
    when fitting the batwing, the tab for the panhard/track locator came through the tab - through the bush and into the beam/threads
    I also recall a batwing that had a keyway in it - that locked into the perch slot at the correct angle for the hairpin to hit a 32 frame - not 30/31

I do't know if I was dreaming it though, I must remember to open the windows when using the solvents

6. fortynut

fortynut

This is still a puzzle. Batwings are aftermarket items; and it goes without saying each vendor has their own ideas and uses proprietary processes endemic to them, so the name of the Company that produces these would help, unless you are asking that. In which case a more detailed description would be in order. And, as has been said before, Ford axles are very specific, and limited by year of production as to their particulars, so again more detailed information would seem in order. Also, I am with the other poster who asked about the 'locator', could it be you are referring to a Panhard bar and where it fits on the axle? If this is the case, I can only think of those on the '46-'48 axles that were factory installed. Perhaps this is what you meant. As for copping to the dream fix, even the TV Show Dallas had trouble with that one.

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Magnum's 5" axle has a bung for the shock mount. The Deuce Factory has a spring perch and shock mount with a key way to keep it from turning. SO-CAL's batwing has a tab for the pan hard bar (track locator). P&J also has this feature on their hairpin/batwing kits.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Chicken dinner for Lynn.