Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

cabong, "Way to go, Pal". This has been a great story to follow, and I want to thank all who have been involved for making this story happen.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. mj40's

mj40's

Will Leland's Kruizer be at the Boise Roadster Show? Looking forward in seeing it.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. cabong

cabong

Leland's low slung leadster will indeed be at the Boise show. Scot and John New were at the GNRS and were happy to see it out and about, and wanted it to be there at Boise.
    Thanks again to all the leadheads, lowster ladies, and hot rodders who have expressed kudos to Nick and I. But, remember, we are the lucky ones. We have benefited, and learned from Leland, and he is the hero here. His faith and fortitude to keep this wonderful critter all these years is the focal point of this thread. God bless him, and I know he will be at Sacramento also, watching and smil'n.

4. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Cool! I guess I will get to see it in Sacramento !

5. cabong

cabong

All went well in Sacramento....Lelands Chopster garnered a first in class trophy......I'm sure he was looking down from above, grin'n that big 'ol grin....

olpaul, chryslerfan55 and Okie Pete like this.
  6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

7. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Yep, looked good, I saw it in person! Congrats on the trophy!

8. cabong

cabong

Wow, it seems that just when we think we know everything about a kruizer, we learn that we don't. While at the Sacramento show, an old friend, Gary Minor, pointed out to me that the doors had been modified. I agreed, pointing at the front edge, which had been redone to conform to the Ford windshield. No, No...not that says Gary. The top of the doors and upper quarter panels had been rolled and smoothed, with the upper belt line buldge that is beneath the stainless trim removed. This was no small feat, and yet looks like it was meant to be.
    By the way, I have set the sale price for this wonderful critter at $30K. I have realized that because it was never in magazines back in the day, people don't look at it. I don't quite understand people, but then who does.
    Thanks again for following along.........

9. Torchie

Torchie

I was watching the auction on e-bay to see how you would do. Your current price for the car is more than reasonable. Try duplicating it for that price.
    It's going to take a special person to buy this car and cherish it the way that it deserves.
    Good luck to you with the sale. If I win the lotto this weekend you will be my first call. :)
    Torchie.

10. cabong

cabong

I'm entering it into the Boise Roadster show, then it will be sold.

11. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Bruce, you're killing me...
    That's a effin deal!
    think I gotta start selling blood or a kidney or sumthin.

12. What an awesome kustom!!

13. mj40's

mj40's

I enjoyed talking to you at the Roadster Show. What a great thing you and Nick did with this car. Nice work and a killer look.

14. CadMad

CadMad

The 53 Eldo in my avatar was sold new in Boise. Only one sold in Idaho. by 55 it was in Hollywood but i'd love to find out more. I think it sold thru Richard Logsdon Cadillac. Any Boise detectives there.

15. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Great story

16. cabong

cabong

Thanks guys, the series of three shows went great. Met lot's of really wonderful people, including Mighty Yellow P.U. Mel. Thanks for all attention paid to Leland's story. At the Boise Show I set up a picture of a young Leland in uniform, with a few words beneath, and asked for signatures to show Margene. I misjudged the participation, and had to add space for more. Man, people can be really great!!!!!! Margene loved it. I told people at the show to imagine that young, blue-eyed, stud in uniform, driving around the streets of SF in that new black Chevy Conv with the top down. Man-O-Man, the ladies didn't stand a chance. They melted right on the spot.
    Thanks Again to all you guys and gals who helped make last year a real joy.........
    Bruce

Attached Files:

17. Torchie

Torchie

Man I love this car and I love the story.
    Still haven't won the lottery yet though cabong...
    Torchie

18. Anyone know where Leland's kruiser' went ??

Sancho, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  19. cabong

cabong

A fellow in Sacramento bought it. He was on the board of the California Auto Museum when he bought it, and had planned on havig it in the museum. I don't know if he did or not, and the museum went under different control. The State of California runs it now, so who knows......

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone posted on about going there recently, and had pictures. I will be look for the thread.

Sancho, chryslerfan55 and Hamtown Al like this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Sad news indeed. Mr. Grantz sounds like a very special guy. What can you say about the car that hasn’t been said? Not much at all I think, although it’s not every day you hear of an early Winfield custom being not only found but completed after 6 decades. If he’s as boisterous as you describe @cabong I suspect he’s telling stories to all the lead heads and hot rodders in heaven right now. He’ll be in my prayers.

Sancho and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Sunley Engines

Sunley Engines
    from Utah